Maple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Churros Cake Break | Evil Twin Brewing

Maple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Churros Cake BreakMaple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Churros Cake Break
4.48/5
Outstanding

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Imperial Stout

Full Name: Evil Twin / Westbrook - Maple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Churros Cake Break

Added by bobhits on 06-09-2018

View: Beers
4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.79/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My biggest warning is the price - $36.99 at Total Wine - that being the cheapest place on the Island - I didn't realize it was gonna cost that much, but I'd kinda already decided to buy it, so I did; but I suspect I've got a lesson to learn about my decision-making...

Had virtually same beer back in December of 2017, except that the label was black and they hadn't added the word, "churros," to the name - don't recall paying $36 for it either...

Anyways, I'm half-way through my first pour, and I'll say this: Yes, it is a good beer, yes, I do taste donuts which I'll equate with churros just to be on-theme; but no, it is not worth $36. Beers I've paid that much for have been limited to a few Fifty-Fifty Eclipse stouts and a few Bruery anniversary releases... and much to my chagrin, for the money, they were more worthy purchases...

I think another issue with these ET/Westbrook hybrid beers is that all the flavors kind of muddle together and lose some of their "specialness"... I do get the donuts/churros, a little bit of bourbon barrel aging impressions, a tingle of what I'll assume is peppers, and the typical chocolaty elements of a stout... smooth, a little sticky - maybe like maple syrup... Again, certainly an enjoyable beer, but unless you're passionately pursuing the line or acquiring trade bait, you can find just as good much cheaper...

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Had this on-tap at Westbrook, poured into a snifter glass. Had a jet black color and a thick, opaque consistency. There was a thin, tan-colored, creamy head that quickly dissipated. Great lacing.

S: An incredibly enticing aroma of bourbon, chocolate, maple, cinnamon, and a sugary quality.

T: Tasted of a bit of roasted malt (not all that present), a bit of maple syrup, tons of cinnamon, a lot of the sugary quality (the advertised churros), lots of chocolate, and a good shot of bourbon (and the accompanying barrel). An exceptionally complex, sweet and powerful flavor. It has lots of character and focus. Delicious.

F: A good amount of carbonation with a silky smooth finish. Full-bodied.

O: This is one of the best stouts I've tried recently. Highly drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yes I am another victim to the notorious $40 evil twin beer. Couldn't resist. Overall I think this beer is excellently executed. It comes off rich does need to be thicker but has a great blending of flavors. Heat is nuanced and bourbon well done. Glad to have experienced it.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

I can't believe I had to add this one, but there is a Maple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial mexican Biscotti Cake break, but the label posted is clearly a different one and this one adds in the Churros. Also it appears Evil Twin is charging by the letter as this mouthful of a beer was $39.99 at a mega box stores that was actually the low price leader for most beers.

Pour is about as dark and oily a beer as I"ve seen. Minimal head formed and there isn't much lacing. That said I tend to get less head/lacing in a glass after I freshly washed it so perhaps I lost out there.

Nose - I really do get yellow cake batter. Maple, chocolate, vanilla frosting, some kind of spice is back there that's almost maybe hot in nature. After review the spice in cinnamon but it does kinda give it a touch of heat.

The beer legit tastes like cake or some kind of deep fried (I've never had a churro) carnival food. Maple, vanilla, some chocolate, touch of bourbon sweetness, almost a warm spice finish that's super subtle (cinnamon), and I'm just getting a cake finish which I can't really explain.

I'm docking it a few points on the price but yeah great beer. It isn't worth 40 bucks but it's great stuff.

Maple Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Mexican Biscotti Churros Cake Break from Evil Twin Brewing