Evil Twin Soft Dookie | Evil Twin Brewing

New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by baggio on 11-25-2010

Smooth, chewy, roasty and chocolaty, super tasty.

4.93/5  rDev +22.9%

L: Very dark brown, no head whatsoever. Medium to low carbonation.

S: Heaven :) Very complex. I could smell it all day.

T: Tastes amazing. Leaves nice, small aftertaste with no alcohol residue. Perfect!

F: I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. 10.40% ABV is not evident at all and beer is highly drinkable. I could happily have a couple of those on the fly.

O: I don't like the taste of alcohol. And this beer delivers exactly that. I get all the benefits of an imperial stout without that disgusting alcohol assault. This is a very underrated beer. I highly recommend it and I will definitely buy it again on every occasion :)

4.93/5  rDev +22.9%

Soft dookie indeed. Appearance is a fluffy, thick, tan head that slowly settles to a brown cover, lots of lace, and an opaque brown black color. Aroma is roast, vanilla, black patent malt, cocoa, coffee, old tree bark. Flavor's like nose, has carbonic tang against the bittersweet and vanilla up front and slowly tapers to the bittersweet flavors and some alcohol warmth at the end. Soft round body with just enough carbonation to balance. A masterpiece. Gimme some dookie!

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Beautiful syrup pour with slight khaki head and spots of lacing. Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and a smokey ash upfront on the nose. Taste follows with the booze and molasses coming through. Slick, thick mouthfeel coating the palate wonderfully. Another great stout by Evil Twin that I would have again!

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

A: Dark black with a small beige head.

S: Strong Chocolate, Vanilla, A hint of coffee

T: Chocolate, Vanilla, A hint of coffee

M: Slight carbonation, a little bitter with a nice vanilla aftertaste

This beer took be by surprise. I had never heard of it before but decided to try it at Rattle N Hum. Just smelling it before tasting I could tell this was going to be a good beer. The when I tasted it I was very happy that I tried it. Probably one of the best new beers that I've tried in a while. I wish this beer was more available because I would like to have it again and maybe age a bottle of it.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

Nose is dark roasted coffee, roast malts, some dark chocolate and just a hint of vanilla. Taste is spectacular. Evil Twin's stouts have consistently satisfied me. My least favorite has been their Yin Imperial Stout and it was a good one. There is vanilla right out front with heavy, roasted notes and some coffee coming up in the back. There's a slight strand of chocolate running through but the vanilla and roasted malts are strongest. The coffee flavors sticks around on the tongue afterwards paired with some hints of vanilla. It says "Best by 2015" on the bottle so I may put one away to try in a year or so. God I love Evil Twin.

EDIT: After reading some other reviews I can also pick up a bit of smokiness like Stone's Smoked Porter. Its really mellow though, and it comes across as roasted malts. There is definitely a smokiness there though, especially in the aftertaste.

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.79/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

'11 bottle drinking after the beat before date but wow chocolate cherries and a little bitterness still comes through. Good stuff!

Evil Twin Soft Dookie from Evil Twin Brewing