Evil Twin Yin | Evil Twin Brewing

Added by rfgetz on 04-22-2011

Ratings: 1,040 |  Reviews: 222

3.29/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very appealing black with an inch head.Smell possibly figs,a hint of coffee and malt.Taste is a bit bitter at first but gives way to a bit of a boozy mouthfeel.not a bad stout but nothing to make me choose this over my go to stouts again.Evil Twin makes great beer but this one fell just a bit short of my expectations.alas you may love it.Give it a shot!

3.29/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

3.32/5  rDev -16.4%

3.39/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, dated 10/23/13 poured into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout snifter.

A- 1/2 finger, brown head quickly drops or a light lace. Near jet body shows dark shades of brown and red when held to the light. Nothing left behind on the glass as it all falls slowly back into the body.

S- Lots of coffee initially, medium roast. Hints of chocolate, licorice, maybe a little raisin. A little boozy with warmth (subtle, not hot or jarring).

T- Hmm. Really interesting at first sip. A lot of very roasted grain, and dark roast coffee. Lesser chocolate and licorice. A lot grainier than expected. Licorice and raisin comes out with another sip. On further sips it might be more of a by-product of the roasted characteristics. Quite long in the finish. It gets smokey by the end. Bold for sure.

M- Very full bodied. Viscus with moderate/light carbonation. ABV is pretty well hidden.

O- Decent brew at first. A bit one-dimensional as anything else gets lost behind the dark roasted malts. Glad I tried it, but I've had more enjoyable beers at the pricing point (and cheaper). That said, I'd be interested in trying Yang alone and as a mix. I suppose I'm a sucker for their marketing. The more I drank this one, the less enjoyable it became.

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%

On Tap @ the Bav Lodge

A: Served in a snifter. Appears black with no light showing through. Served with a minimal 1/16" of tannish colored head. Leaves just a little bit of lacing on the side of the glass.

S: Dark roasted malts, char, and the faint hint of smoke. Maybe a touch of cocoa.

T: Rather intense flavor of deeply roasted malts, roasted almost until the point of being burnt. Burnt coffee bitterness. Char, baking chocolate. Ends with a slight acidity before turning to a long residual cigarette ash finish.

M: While this one probably still has a heaviness to it, the mouthfeel is much thinner than expected, and certainly not enough to round out the bold char and bitterness. Lower carbonation levels are appropriate.

O: A decent Imperial stout with a bold and imposing set of flavors. However, I found this beer lacked balance, with a heavy burnt quality to it and a lighter than expected mouthfeel. Cigarette ash finish was unappealing.

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

I picked up a bottle of Evil Twin's Yin a month and a half ago for $3.59 at Holiday Market. I'm in the mood for a Stout tonight and this one sounds a little interesting, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 3/18/14. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a simple design to it and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a black color that didn't let any light come through and it had just a little over a fingers worth of brown head that died died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking stout, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a burnt sugar like aroma and it starts off with the malts which impart a nice dark roasted malt aroma with a nice cocoa aroma seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes an unusual aroma that starts off with a soy sauce like aroma that goes right into a some tobacco and slight leather. Towards the end I get some earthy hops aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, but the soy sauce was unwanted and I don't think the leather and tobacco worked that great with it.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that still has a little bit of burnt sugar aspect to it with the roasted malts still showing up first and this time they impart more of a charred malt aspect. Up next comes some of those leather and tobacco aspects that I got in the aroma, but they are lighter with no soy sauce this time. On the finish comes the hops which impart the same earthy hop aspects with a medium amount of bitterness along with some boozy and slightly warming alcohol that lingers into the aftertaste along with a charred malt, smokey and earthy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting stout, but it was a little too heavy on the charred malts for me.

M- A little smooth, pretty crisp, a little boozy, a little watery, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had an ok mouthfeel, but I felt like it was too thin and boozy with a little too much carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was a pretty average example of the style, it just wasn't as balanced and as complex as I wanted it to be and in the end it just seemed to be rough around edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was a little smooth, pretty crisp, a little boozy, a little watery, not filling and the taste just did an ok job at holding my attention, one is more than enough for me, I have no urge to drink another one back to back. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a good looking Stout. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't that great and it really held this beer back. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I can't say I would recommend it, it's not hard to find a better Imperial Stout. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but it left me wanting more and while it was a little unique I can't say that the flavors worked that well together. This isn't my favorite evil twin beer and it's in the middle at best for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks for sharing this tick, Bobby.

A: The beer pours a dark brown, almost black, color with a finger or so of tan head.

S: The defining characteristic of this beer is probably the roast. Lots of roasted malts and coffee notes, particularly espresso. Some booze and dark chocolate are also noticeable, as is some char.

T: More heavy roast character on the flavor. Lots of roasted malt, char, and intense coffee. There is a bit of chocolate, but it's sort of overshadowed. The same could be said about the bit of toffee sweetness that exists.

M: Medium to full in body with a medium carbonation.

O: Pretty run of the mill, overly roasty imperial stout. A tick and little more.

Evil Twin Yin from Evil Twin Brewing