Molotov Cocktail | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Imperial IPA

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.

Added by bark on 08-29-2011

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,435 |  Reviews: 272
4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

While I use a bottle...Evil Twin has made a "Molotov Cocktail" with a CAN !!!! well done !!
This pours one of the brightest, shiniest, and crisp looking gold colors I have seen in a beer...for awhile now. It just seems to glisten in the light, like real gold.
It has a very nice off white foam to it...with an aroma of citrus fruits.
As for taste it has plenty of the same citrusy fruit flavor...mostly orange with a hint of some tropical to it, but the mouth feel is mostly the ABV and citrus which take away from the malts...which does not hurt it at all !!!!
I think it makes a great combo, and kinda hides the ABV... so it can come back and "blow you up" later !!!! Hahahaha
I guess I will no longer be using bottles... Hahahaha

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear amber color, two finger white head, messy lacing, good carbonation.

S: Hint of tropical fruits, hops. Bitter on the back end.

T: Tropical fruits, hops, lots of alcohol.

F: Full bodied, full flavored.

O: Very strong TIPA.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Cycle Brewing goblet.

A: A nice deep shiny gold, with lots of visible carbonation and a finger's worth of white head that lasts quite a while. Quite hazy with some floaters as well – very pretty as long as you don’t mind floaters, which I don't.

S: Orange-forward citrus, dank, and melon. Mild sweetness from the biscuit malts. Lesser notes of tropical fruits – I’ll buy into mango, along with papaya and lychee. Nice, though not huge for a DIPA.

T: Fruity sweet – oranges and tropical fruit - and dank, with bready and caramel sweetness from the malts. Milder melon and melon rind. Only mildly bitter after the swallow, and the hang is more dominated by the ethanol-heavy, boozy-fruit sweetness.

M: A medium body with average carbonation sensation but a sticky mouthfeel. The alcohol is noticeable, but I don’t think I would have pegged this as high as the 12% ABV proclaimed on the can.

O: This is a DIPA in the spirit of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute - though the ABV doesn't reach those levels. But this is just not my preference. It’s not a bad beer, and it packs a serious alcohol wallop for style that it does manage to hide admirably. The fruit flavors blend nicely with the sweetness from the malts. But that’s at the cost of hop bitterness coming through, and also (in my opinion) at the cost of drinkability. Not my cup of tea, as it were.

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.01/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

DATE: May 4, 2018... OCCASION: mulching dump, day one complete... May the Fourth be with me as I take on this beast of a beer!... GLASSWARE: Duvel snifter... pours a murky tangerine body, thick with bubbles that build a reasonable ring of white head... handsome fresh from a same-day grunt... the IBUs on this must be set to kill, as mango, tangerine, pineapple, dense swampy basement, berry, and bourbon-like sweetness... the sweetness extends to the mouthfeel, a syrupy heaviness that sips like a bourbon, with the threat of 13% haunting in every waft... each sip coats like a scotch, with an appreciable burn that cautions... an orange, pineapple and mango citrus kick hits immediately in the flavor profile, while vanilla, oak, resin and caramel... loaded for bear, this one explodes out the bottle as its name aptly implies... at this ABV, the only knock may be that it is too much...too much like cough syrup in some moments, while confidently a tuned-down whiskey... great name, worthwhile payoff, dangerous strength--I was talked into this by the Liquor Factory bartender, though I did intend to pair this with a Macanudo... Evil Genius strikes again with a heavyweight...

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.11/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Aroma is malt and hops, nicely mixed. Medium amber with small, bubbly soapy head. Taste has citrusy hops muscling out the malt, with a hint of the ABV. Alcohol kicks in on the palate and warms the gullet. Nicely blended beer.

2.23/5  rDev -43.3%

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.9/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I know that some will disagree. This is my favorite imperial ipa. The combination of the hops and a bit of sweetness are my ideal.

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am rather inCANredulous at how many CANs of Evil Twin Brewing's beer I have acCANumulated for inclusion in The CANQuest (tm)! I had begun running through them at the end of New Beer Sunday (Week 677) & CANtinued my efforts yesterday during NBS (Week 678) so now I am simply finishing up. I have a couple/few days' worth left, but since my 53rd birthday is next Sunday (Week 679) & I have plans that may curtail my involvement that day, I am getting them in while I CAN. This is IT! The last of my backlog that has taken me two Sundays and several days with which to get caught up. CANd by!

Hey, Keith Morris & Greg Hetson, Give me a bomb/A Molotov/It's a coup d'état! Wow, Bro. Woody, that's pretty Evil, man! Would you settle for a Cocktail, instead? Don't be Circle Jerks! I remember when I used to like yinz guys!

From the CAN: "Despite the crudeness it is tricky to make an effective Molotov cocktail. Despite the unruly nature of the rebel it is very tricky to resist accepted conventions. Molotov Cocktail is a tour de force in hoppiness. It's a spark for action and by far one of the most anti-authoritative beers ever made by Evil Twin Brewing."

I Crack!ed the CAN open & inserted my homemade cloth wick just before I lit it aflame & heaved everything through the plate glass window of ... Whoops! A bit of a flashback, there. Let's reboot.

I Crack!ed open the CAN CANmenced a slow, gentle Glug of this explosive brew into my awaiting glass. An in-glass swirl raised a finger of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention that left behind some nice lacing. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like orange marmalade on toast soaked in alcohol. 8=O OMFG! If my sinuses were finally starting to clear following Yang, this went straight into them like a battering ram charging an already-blown gate. It burned out whatever nose hairs might have been remaining & I say that only because I could see some sort of CANflagration emanating from my nostrils. I was not getting mango on the nose, but is that really a problem? Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not as big as Yang, but still attention-getting. The taste remained very orange-forward initially, underlain with a toasty, biscuity maltiness. I CANnot say if it was because I preceded it with a CAN of Yang, but it did not have the overall intensity of that beer. Warming, I began to get the mango sweetness more strongly, but it was still orange's game. This did not have the fusel alcohol heat that really blew me away in Yang & that was a definitel plus. Back-to-back of that nature could have been killer. Orange-mango preserves on toast, that's my take on this monster. Dry as the zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert, but not overly hot. Scarily drinkable, actually. Phew! Time to go operate some heavy equipment. That, or get involved in some recycling - see the original opening. A bottle might work better for the bomb after the beer, but I CAN only wonder how gasoline in a CAN would work instead. YMMV, definitely!

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%

Due to the weight and high ABV% of this guy, I would definitely recommend to sip it form your favorite snifter.
And since it is on the heavy side, I would suggest enjoying it before eating a big meal. Because the fullness of it will be lost.
He has a beautiful, rich orange/caramel color. A very slight haze. And the mouth feel it smooth and comforting.
While it does have the signature "hoppy" character of an Imperial IPA, the thick malt flavor tempers the bitterness beautifully.
I have enjoyed the Molotov a number of times. And, while it is great from a can, if you can find it on tap you will not be disappointed.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: hazy orange in color with a big 2" head.

Smell: orange and some floral bitterness.

Taste: big sweet malt base with caramel, mango, orange, alcohol, and a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Lightly crisp throughout but dry at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: a slow sipping big boozy beer that has a battles of sweetness and bitterness.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: a hazy golden-pumpkin orange with loads and loads of off-white head. many particulates can be seen floating around in the beer.
S: tropical fruit with hints of hops
T: quite sweet, with a nice blend of citrus hops combined with actual citrus flavors from the added mango and orange. the 12% ABV is fairly well concealed, also a very very faint booziness can be detected. some funky/resinous hops are present as well. Overall a very complex taste with many facets to consider.
F: smooth, only slight level of bitterness.
O: overall a very complex and interesting beer. recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce can into a tulip snifter. Had 3/9/17.

Pours a fairly bright, clear orange, with one and a half inch foamy head and a good amount of foamy lacing. The smell is dank and earthy hops, tropical hops- mango, some orange and grapefruit, yeast. The taste brings lots more citrus- orange, grapefruit, strong mango, light lime, malt, some yeast. A light grassy flavor with a bit of a sweet note. A strong bitterness throughout, that lingers on the finish. Smooth. good body, well carbonated.

Well balanced all around- hops, malt, bitterness, sweetness. The flavor pushes this up. Drinks easy for the ABV. Well worth a purchase.

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The sweetness with hoppiness is quite a delight. I'm an IPA fan so this one rates up there.

4.66/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle, listed as 13% Simcoe edition.

I am surprised I have not yet rated this beer, as it is one of the best Imperial IPAs I have ever had.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Molotov Cocktail from Evil Twin Brewing