Molotov Cocktail | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.

Added by bark on 08-29-2011

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,425 |  Reviews: 267
4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am rather inCANredulous at how many CANs of Evil Twin Brewing's beer I have acCANumulated for inclusion in The CANQuest (tm)! I had begun running through them at the end of New Beer Sunday (Week 677) & CANtinued my efforts yesterday during NBS (Week 678) so now I am simply finishing up. I have a couple/few days' worth left, but since my 53rd birthday is next Sunday (Week 679) & I have plans that may curtail my involvement that day, I am getting them in while I CAN. This is IT! The last of my backlog that has taken me two Sundays and several days with which to get caught up. CANd by!

Hey, Keith Morris & Greg Hetson, Give me a bomb/A Molotov/It's a coup d'état! Wow, Bro. Woody, that's pretty Evil, man! Would you settle for a Cocktail, instead? Don't be Circle Jerks! I remember when I used to like yinz guys!

From the CAN: "Despite the crudeness it is tricky to make an effective Molotov cocktail. Despite the unruly nature of the rebel it is very tricky to resist accepted conventions. Molotov Cocktail is a tour de force in hoppiness. It's a spark for action and by far one of the most anti-authoritative beers ever made by Evil Twin Brewing."

I Crack!ed the CAN open & inserted my homemade cloth wick just before I lit it aflame & heaved everything through the plate glass window of ... Whoops! A bit of a flashback, there. Let's reboot.

I Crack!ed open the CAN CANmenced a slow, gentle Glug of this explosive brew into my awaiting glass. An in-glass swirl raised a finger of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention that left behind some nice lacing. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like orange marmalade on toast soaked in alcohol. 8=O OMFG! If my sinuses were finally starting to clear following Yang, this went straight into them like a battering ram charging an already-blown gate. It burned out whatever nose hairs might have been remaining & I say that only because I could see some sort of CANflagration emanating from my nostrils. I was not getting mango on the nose, but is that really a problem? Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not as big as Yang, but still attention-getting. The taste remained very orange-forward initially, underlain with a toasty, biscuity maltiness. I CANnot say if it was because I preceded it with a CAN of Yang, but it did not have the overall intensity of that beer. Warming, I began to get the mango sweetness more strongly, but it was still orange's game. This did not have the fusel alcohol heat that really blew me away in Yang & that was a definitel plus. Back-to-back of that nature could have been killer. Orange-mango preserves on toast, that's my take on this monster. Dry as the zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert, but not overly hot. Scarily drinkable, actually. Phew! Time to go operate some heavy equipment. That, or get involved in some recycling - see the original opening. A bottle might work better for the bomb after the beer, but I CAN only wonder how gasoline in a CAN would work instead. YMMV, definitely!

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%

Due to the weight and high ABV% of this guy, I would definitely recommend to sip it form your favorite snifter.
And since it is on the heavy side, I would suggest enjoying it before eating a big meal. Because the fullness of it will be lost.
He has a beautiful, rich orange/caramel color. A very slight haze. And the mouth feel it smooth and comforting.
While it does have the signature "hoppy" character of an Imperial IPA, the thick malt flavor tempers the bitterness beautifully.
I have enjoyed the Molotov a number of times. And, while it is great from a can, if you can find it on tap you will not be disappointed.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: hazy orange in color with a big 2" head.

Smell: orange and some floral bitterness.

Taste: big sweet malt base with caramel, mango, orange, alcohol, and a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Lightly crisp throughout but dry at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: a slow sipping big boozy beer that has a battles of sweetness and bitterness.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: a hazy golden-pumpkin orange with loads and loads of off-white head. many particulates can be seen floating around in the beer.
S: tropical fruit with hints of hops
T: quite sweet, with a nice blend of citrus hops combined with actual citrus flavors from the added mango and orange. the 12% ABV is fairly well concealed, also a very very faint booziness can be detected. some funky/resinous hops are present as well. Overall a very complex taste with many facets to consider.
F: smooth, only slight level of bitterness.
O: overall a very complex and interesting beer. recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce can into a tulip snifter. Had 3/9/17.

Pours a fairly bright, clear orange, with one and a half inch foamy head and a good amount of foamy lacing. The smell is dank and earthy hops, tropical hops- mango, some orange and grapefruit, yeast. The taste brings lots more citrus- orange, grapefruit, strong mango, light lime, malt, some yeast. A light grassy flavor with a bit of a sweet note. A strong bitterness throughout, that lingers on the finish. Smooth. good body, well carbonated.

Well balanced all around- hops, malt, bitterness, sweetness. The flavor pushes this up. Drinks easy for the ABV. Well worth a purchase.

4.59/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The sweetness with hoppiness is quite a delight. I'm an IPA fan so this one rates up there.

4.66/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle, listed as 13% Simcoe edition.

I am surprised I have not yet rated this beer, as it is one of the best Imperial IPAs I have ever had.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.29/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) can into a conical pint glass; batch 30, 10:17.
A: Pours a very hazy orange-amber color with an initial half inch, white head. Not a lot of head retention and only thin, soapy lacing.
S: Aromas are a complex melange of caramel, bread, citrus and tropical fruit.
T: Sweet with flavors of orange and mango predominating on a caramel/cookie malt base. Bitterness relatively mild but offsets sweetness nicely; finish akin to Southern Comfort.
M: Medium to full bodied and strongly persistent, if light, carbonation.
O: Really a nicely and uniquely designed and executed American DIPA. Frankly, I thought the sweetness/malt backbone an asset. Looks more New England, really, than East Coast. Enjoyed it and would drink/serve/gift, but only with good friends.

2.37/5  rDev -39.7%

Way, way too sweet for an IPA. I could barely finish a 12oz can.

3.89/5  rDev -1%