Molotov Cocktail | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Imperial IPA

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 275 | Ratings: 1,442
3.67/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

(From old, undated notes)

Semi-opaque dark orange hue.

White head; decent lace.

Pineapple & molasses nose.

Thick mouthfeel.

Bitter citrus bomb & booze at first; as it warms, smoke & mango emerge.

Too bitter but very flavorful.

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

IIPA w/mango & orange. Um, Fuckin WOW! Seriously Big, with a Tsunami of pale malt; frutified malt.
Fruit is background to gorgeous malt, & semi-identifiable as mango & orange (he sez).
Herbal, lavender, earthy, flowery hops, with some follow-through of malt & fruit balance the finish & aftertaste,
like Dude! 12%, & only the slightest hint 20-30 seconds into the aftertaste, & ya really don't get it till yer through a chunk of it Amazingly!
If these cans were aliens coming to take over the planet, we should let them.
You'll have to give me a minute, I am (semi)speechless at this monumental achievement - Why Didn't Anyone Tell Me!?! ... but let me savor brewed heaven 1st

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

While I use a bottle...Evil Twin has made a "Molotov Cocktail" with a CAN !!!! well done !!
This pours one of the brightest, shiniest, and crisp looking gold colors I have seen in a beer...for awhile now. It just seems to glisten in the light, like real gold.
It has a very nice off white foam to it...with an aroma of citrus fruits.
As for taste it has plenty of the same citrusy fruit flavor...mostly orange with a hint of some tropical to it, but the mouth feel is mostly the ABV and citrus which take away from the malts...which does not hurt it at all !!!!
I think it makes a great combo, and kinda hides the ABV... so it can come back and "blow you up" later !!!! Hahahaha
I guess I will no longer be using bottles... Hahahaha

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear amber color, two finger white head, messy lacing, good carbonation.

S: Hint of tropical fruits, hops. Bitter on the back end.

T: Tropical fruits, hops, lots of alcohol.

F: Full bodied, full flavored.

O: Very strong TIPA.

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 12 oz. can into a Cycle Brewing goblet.

A: A nice deep shiny gold, with lots of visible carbonation and a finger's worth of white head that lasts quite a while. Quite hazy with some floaters as well – very pretty as long as you don’t mind floaters, which I don't.

S: Orange-forward citrus, dank, and melon. Mild sweetness from the biscuit malts. Lesser notes of tropical fruits – I’ll buy into mango, along with papaya and lychee. Nice, though not huge for a DIPA.

T: Fruity sweet – oranges and tropical fruit - and dank, with bready and caramel sweetness from the malts. Milder melon and melon rind. Only mildly bitter after the swallow, and the hang is more dominated by the ethanol-heavy, boozy-fruit sweetness.

M: A medium body with average carbonation sensation but a sticky mouthfeel. The alcohol is noticeable, but I don’t think I would have pegged this as high as the 12% ABV proclaimed on the can.

O: This is a DIPA in the spirit of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute - though the ABV doesn't reach those levels. But this is just not my preference. It’s not a bad beer, and it packs a serious alcohol wallop for style that it does manage to hide admirably. The fruit flavors blend nicely with the sweetness from the malts. But that’s at the cost of hop bitterness coming through, and also (in my opinion) at the cost of drinkability. Not my cup of tea, as it were.

4.01/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

DATE: May 4, 2018... OCCASION: mulching dump, day one complete... May the Fourth be with me as I take on this beast of a beer!... GLASSWARE: Duvel snifter... pours a murky tangerine body, thick with bubbles that build a reasonable ring of white head... handsome fresh from a same-day grunt... the IBUs on this must be set to kill, as mango, tangerine, pineapple, dense swampy basement, berry, and bourbon-like sweetness... the sweetness extends to the mouthfeel, a syrupy heaviness that sips like a bourbon, with the threat of 13% haunting in every waft... each sip coats like a scotch, with an appreciable burn that cautions... an orange, pineapple and mango citrus kick hits immediately in the flavor profile, while vanilla, oak, resin and caramel... loaded for bear, this one explodes out the bottle as its name aptly implies... at this ABV, the only knock may be that it is too much...too much like cough syrup in some moments, while confidently a tuned-down whiskey... great name, worthwhile payoff, dangerous strength--I was talked into this by the Liquor Factory bartender, though I did intend to pair this with a Macanudo... Evil Genius strikes again with a heavyweight...

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Aroma is malt and hops, nicely mixed. Medium amber with small, bubbly soapy head. Taste has citrusy hops muscling out the malt, with a hint of the ABV. Alcohol kicks in on the palate and warms the gullet. Nicely blended beer.

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I am rather inCANredulous at how many CANs of Evil Twin Brewing's beer I have acCANumulated for inclusion in The CANQuest (tm)! I had begun running through them at the end of New Beer Sunday (Week 677) & CANtinued my efforts yesterday during NBS (Week 678) so now I am simply finishing up. I have a couple/few days' worth left, but since my 53rd birthday is next Sunday (Week 679) & I have plans that may curtail my involvement that day, I am getting them in while I CAN. This is IT! The last of my backlog that has taken me two Sundays and several days with which to get caught up. CANd by!

Hey, Keith Morris & Greg Hetson, Give me a bomb/A Molotov/It's a coup d'état! Wow, Bro. Woody, that's pretty Evil, man! Would you settle for a Cocktail, instead? Don't be Circle Jerks! I remember when I used to like yinz guys!

From the CAN: "Despite the crudeness it is tricky to make an effective Molotov cocktail. Despite the unruly nature of the rebel it is very tricky to resist accepted conventions. Molotov Cocktail is a tour de force in hoppiness. It's a spark for action and by far one of the most anti-authoritative beers ever made by Evil Twin Brewing."

I Crack!ed the CAN open & inserted my homemade cloth wick just before I lit it aflame & heaved everything through the plate glass window of ... Whoops! A bit of a flashback, there. Let's reboot.

I Crack!ed open the CAN CANmenced a slow, gentle Glug of this explosive brew into my awaiting glass. An in-glass swirl raised a finger of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention that left behind some nice lacing. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like orange marmalade on toast soaked in alcohol. 8=O OMFG! If my sinuses were finally starting to clear following Yang, this went straight into them like a battering ram charging an already-blown gate. It burned out whatever nose hairs might have been remaining & I say that only because I could see some sort of CANflagration emanating from my nostrils. I was not getting mango on the nose, but is that really a problem? Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not as big as Yang, but still attention-getting. The taste remained very orange-forward initially, underlain with a toasty, biscuity maltiness. I CANnot say if it was because I preceded it with a CAN of Yang, but it did not have the overall intensity of that beer. Warming, I began to get the mango sweetness more strongly, but it was still orange's game. This did not have the fusel alcohol heat that really blew me away in Yang & that was a definitel plus. Back-to-back of that nature could have been killer. Orange-mango preserves on toast, that's my take on this monster. Dry as the zephyr winds blowing across the Sahara Desert, but not overly hot. Scarily drinkable, actually. Phew! Time to go operate some heavy equipment. That, or get involved in some recycling - see the original opening. A bottle might work better for the bomb after the beer, but I CAN only wonder how gasoline in a CAN would work instead. YMMV, definitely!

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%

Due to the weight and high ABV% of this guy, I would definitely recommend to sip it form your favorite snifter.
And since it is on the heavy side, I would suggest enjoying it before eating a big meal. Because the fullness of it will be lost.
He has a beautiful, rich orange/caramel color. A very slight haze. And the mouth feel it smooth and comforting.
While it does have the signature "hoppy" character of an Imperial IPA, the thick malt flavor tempers the bitterness beautifully.
I have enjoyed the Molotov a number of times. And, while it is great from a can, if you can find it on tap you will not be disappointed.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: hazy orange in color with a big 2" head.

Smell: orange and some floral bitterness.

Taste: big sweet malt base with caramel, mango, orange, alcohol, and a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Lightly crisp throughout but dry at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: a slow sipping big boozy beer that has a battles of sweetness and bitterness.

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: a hazy golden-pumpkin orange with loads and loads of off-white head. many particulates can be seen floating around in the beer.
S: tropical fruit with hints of hops
T: quite sweet, with a nice blend of citrus hops combined with actual citrus flavors from the added mango and orange. the 12% ABV is fairly well concealed, also a very very faint booziness can be detected. some funky/resinous hops are present as well. Overall a very complex taste with many facets to consider.
F: smooth, only slight level of bitterness.
O: overall a very complex and interesting beer. recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce can into a tulip snifter. Had 3/9/17.

Pours a fairly bright, clear orange, with one and a half inch foamy head and a good amount of foamy lacing. The smell is dank and earthy hops, tropical hops- mango, some orange and grapefruit, yeast. The taste brings lots more citrus- orange, grapefruit, strong mango, light lime, malt, some yeast. A light grassy flavor with a bit of a sweet note. A strong bitterness throughout, that lingers on the finish. Smooth. good body, well carbonated.

Well balanced all around- hops, malt, bitterness, sweetness. The flavor pushes this up. Drinks easy for the ABV. Well worth a purchase.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) can into a conical pint glass; batch 30, 10:17.
A: Pours a very hazy orange-amber color with an initial half inch, white head. Not a lot of head retention and only thin, soapy lacing.
S: Aromas are a complex melange of caramel, bread, citrus and tropical fruit.
T: Sweet with flavors of orange and mango predominating on a caramel/cookie malt base. Bitterness relatively mild but offsets sweetness nicely; finish akin to Southern Comfort.
M: Medium to full bodied and strongly persistent, if light, carbonation.
O: Really a nicely and uniquely designed and executed American DIPA. Frankly, I thought the sweetness/malt backbone an asset. Looks more New England, really, than East Coast. Enjoyed it and would drink/serve/gift, but only with good friends.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a single from Kings Liquors in South Lake Tahoe, CA earlier this week for $4.19. Batch 025.

Beer poured a cloudy golden orange with a decent white head with the initial pour. Some floaties in there suggesting this is another old brew.

Nose is tropical and citrus, very nice.

Taste was orange and mango forward overbalanced by a ginormous malt base. Finish is boozy and sweet.

Feel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall this was a tad too sweet but i did like the choice of hops used.

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Can poured into a chalice

Unfiltered with particulate in an orange golden liquid crowned by a pencil thin white sudsy, soapy foam cap

Citrus hop aroma, candied orange

Taste of grapefruit, resin hops , malt backbone

Taste is sweet then takes a quick tart turn, bitterness lingers

There is a lot going on in this beer

4.01/5  rDev +2%

12oz can, served in a snifter glass. Pours a darker copper body, slight orange hue, two finger white head, good retention, bits of lacing. Smell is caramel and grapefruit, bit of resin and floral notes, but mostly grapefruit and sweet grainy caramel. It's not quite a hoppy barleywine; its surprisingly clean and hoppy like you'd expect from a hugely hopped up DIPA. Flavour is a big grapefruit punch along with a hefty caramel presence, touch of honey, resin and pine. It's good, lots of flavour and moderately bitter resin on the backend. Mouthfeel is fuller bodied, good carbonation, not too sweet, moderate relative bitterness on the backend. A nicely done triple IPA, which actually has more than enough hops to balance out the big malt base. Hefty beer.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orangey peach with a one inch head that surprisingly dissipated without lace. Nose is candied orange with a little malt and pine, but was muted for such a big beer. Taste is...omg that's too sweet. The candied orange from the nose comes through, and there is a good bitterness to stand up against a significant malt bill here. However, there is no way around the fact that this beer is just way too sweet. I've had candy bars and lollipops that weren't this sweet. Overall, I'm sorry to say it just doesn't work.

3.97/5  rDev +1%

12oz can, saying "Imperial India Pale Ale with Mango and Orange Added" batch D28-D29. 09:21 date/time stamp. Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange-light amber in color. Initial off-white head died back to a thin ring. No lacing. It appears this beer had some sediment along with it, leaving a lot of floaters and what looks like fruit pulp. Good color, but not a good looking beer.

Smell: When I first cracked the can, I did get a strong hit of mango, but that has dissipated a bit. With a swirl I get orange, citrus rind, blueberry, a hint of pine, and a hint of mango.

Taste: Hoppy, but not excessively so. Strong orange flavor, transitioning into a very solid malt backbone and having aspects of a barleywine in malt character. At 12%, I shouldn't be surprised it comes across like that. The mango is muted, and the finish is mildly bitter - a mix of grapefruit and pine tempered by the sweetness/barleywine character of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Very thick, with a warming sensation from the alcohol. Prickly carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: My 900th review! A potent brew and a slow sipping beer. Definitely a good DIPA, and whereas many DIPAs are more hops than malt, this one strikes me as more malt than hops. It's not as agressive in hops as some DIPAs I've had, but it's a potent brew none the less. I happened to pick up the "Lite" version of this one so I'll have to have that next another night and see how it compares - is the same recipe but not as intense, or is it something else entirely? I think I would have rated this beer higher if it didn't have the floaters in it.

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at The Reservoir, Waterbury, VT. This was poured into a tulip. The appearance was a burnt hazy ruddy off to dark orange almost brown color with a one finger white foamy head that quickly dissipated. Lacing was here and there. The smell starts off with some sweet blueberry. Light citrus and tropical fruits slide in underneath to keep it fairly sweet. Bitterness seems a bit lower. And just as I suspected, the flavor has the bitterness is pretty low as well. The rest is pretty much the same as the aroma with a little bit of creamy almost vanilla and a sly little bit of breadiness. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a decent sipping feel about it. Carbonation felt good with a nice blueberry creaminess smoothing out on my tongue. Overall, okay, I get it now, I think. Yeah, I’m pretty sure this is only my second DIPA I’ve ever had that I actually get the "smooth to creamy" feature on my tongue. It felt great. I’d have this again.

4.99/5  rDev +27%

After having its little brother, Molotov Lite yesterday, I knew that this one would be beyond all expectations. Molotov Lite was a killer and an extremely impressive, rich IIPA, a true experience indeed.
This one takes it all to a "syrupy" level, although saying so gives it a different meaning. No, this is not sticky sweet, but still it feels as if it was a concentrate of the Lite IIPA. Caramel malts squared and the hops... the hops come in such a strength - no, not "in your face" style but rather - like Stone's anniversary IIPAs with a depth, signalling the excessive amount being used when brewing. 13% is also present in the beer somehow, with a slight but very pleasant alcoholic overtone especially in the nose.
The taste is is deep, deep, deep, the most of the hops went into brewing itself, not trying to show off with only dry hopping - here the real hoppines comes from the flavor and take you on an amazing journey.
Surprisingly the 13% is neither wild nor rough, compared with its lil brother at 8% you almost don't feel it at all, rather sense it in its density of ingredients. It is a concentrated IPA of taste and feeling, gives a boost to your senses and makes you feel like you're forever a boy scout out in the woods, something that gives you a very pleasant and positive state of mind.
I must admit that I am a fan of American Imperial IPAs especially with a high ABV, easily said this was just spot on, one of the kind of beers I consider perfect. Amazing, outstanding, world class - a treasure in a bottle indeed.

1.29/5  rDev -67.2%

tour de force in hoppiness... Yeah... About that..
It isn't anywhere close.
T: avoid at all costs unless you enjoy sugar with sugar and syrup on top.

Shit does the trick though if you're willing and able to partake

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

Quality IPA, but with some very present booziness. Tried on tap and in cans multiple times by now - a solid IPA, but one that's harder to classify in the typical West Coast, East Coast, or NE IPA categories. Would probably place between East and West if I had to choose.

3.4/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

How is that this successful 3rd generation brewery focussed on the British tradition has escaped me ? (This is my first.)
Answer: they make their money hopping-up IPA's and stouts... then doubling-up the malt etc for high alcohol.
OK, but not my style.

Molotov Cocktail poured a big head and, then, went away... almost totally.
Smell? Yes, there are hops. Taste? There are lots of hops (and there must be something more since I've gotten quite heady.)
Feel? I didn't notice.
Overall... If you are a hop-head, try this. If you are a Belgian-phile like me, I advise one and done.

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%

Well that's an ipa to sip. The booze is there all along. It's nonetheless balanced between the piney and citrusy hops and the caramel malts. This strong beer becomes more drinkable with each sip. Some aging might do some good
A bit better 6 months later

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

It pours a bright amber orange color with some haziness and lots of sediment. The pour builds up thick creamy off-white head that stands with pretty good retention before gradually subsiding to a long-lasting bubble film atop and leaving some spotty and patchy lace. This is a good showcase for such high ABV beer.

Loads of hop intensity in the aroma, it is dank, heavily juicy, tropical, grapefruit, a bit of pineapple, resin, and massive peppery spice like a black pepper. Malt is quite underlying with its biscuit and subtle caramel beneath all the hoppy goodness.

The palate is taken over by hop with only just the initial sip. It provides breathtaking bitterness covering all over before letting the other tastes to incorporate. I can taste citrus, grapefruit, tropical, resin, and loads of peppery spice yet black pepper together with some warming alcohol. Again, malt is undertone as a base of the flavor structure with its biscuit, slight sweet, and caramel. The end and aftertaste is wrapped up and lasting with solid resiny bitterness from hop.

The body is full and bold also a bit sticky and syrupy at time. Thanks to the just right amount of crispness and carbonation to handle it well under the smooth palate and some lively feeling. Finish is pleasantly dry.

This IPA is equipped with the surreal amount of hop. It is so tasty and same time hefty as hell but you won’t feel it until the bottoms up. Prepare to get Molotov before trying.

Molotov Cocktail from Evil Twin Brewing