Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Molotov CocktailEvil Twin Molotov Cocktail

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Did you like Before, During, & After Christmas? Maybe you thought it poured brilliantly, and you loved of the arrogant amounts of hops wowed you. This beer will knock your tongue off, essentially due to the obscene amount of hops that went down this explosive fella. It’s a tour de force in hoppiness and by far the craziest beer made by Evil Twin… but not the last.

Brewed at Fanø Bryghus.

Added by bark on 08-29-2011

Reviews: 233 | Ratings: 1,313

Wow! I cannot say enough good things about this beer.

It has a rich copper color. A bit hazy but not unexpected.
The hops and malt tingle the senses as you breathe in its aroma.
The taste is an assault of hops balanced with a rich malty flavor.
You can feel the burn of the alcohol as it flows down your throat.
This is one of the best beers I have ever had. It is truly amazing!

4.96/5  rDev +27.2%

This beer is one assertive mother trucker. Poured into a pint glass it pops up a frothy two-finger head which settles to a white lasting cap that sticks to the side of the glass. Bubbles continue to rise to the top for the duration.
A unique orange-peach hue. Very pleasant hop aroma - not perfumy as some hoppy beers can be.
Intense hop character; yet sweet with a smokey backdrop. Not especially bitter as you may expect with a hoppy goddess such as this. Hint of citrus is there but not overbearing. Not sure where some reviewers get lemongrass or earth or these other notes but perhaps my palate is not as acute - no offense to those with refined palates of course.

Goes very well with pretzels and sharp cheddar. Despite it's ridiculously high ABV percentage, the alcohol is not heavy in the flavor. A very sneaky beer in that you don't realize it's potency until halfway through and your fingers begin to tingle. The name "Molotov Cocktail" is very apropos as it just firebombed it's way into my top five IPAs. Evil Twin has some seriously talented brewers.

4.96/5  rDev +27.2%

That pretty much described how I feel about this beer. I mean really, fancy schmancy reviews be damned. This beer is amazing.

From the moment I saw this beer on the shelf I knew I had to have it. I waited for a little while but couldn't shake the desire for it. I wasn't disappointed at all and will be looking for more Evil Twin brews in the future.

4.94/5  rDev +26.7%

Prior to 2013 I'd never appreciated IPA beer. When Sierra Nevada Torpedo was on sale I said to myself, "OK, lets get a half dozen 12 packs and age them on the concrete floor in my basement canning room." Not much happened after a year so I experimented with blending Torpedo. A Coors Banquet or Plank brewery Icehouse tall boy poured with a Torpedo into a British 1L glass tankard cuts into the backend IPA bitterness quite nicely.

Then, an accident happened two months ago. I encountered Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail. Popping the cap has it's own nanosecond jet engine sound. I tried a bottle brewed in 2014 & subsequently purchased cases of February 2015 batch for aging. Molotov Cocktail is VERY bioactive, an excellent Imperial IPA, ideal for aging. The 2014 bottle had to be turned to loosen the sediment prior to opening adding to the flavor. The first cases I ordered 2 months ago (bottled Feb. 2015) have already developed a cloudy sediment aging on the floor in my canning room. This Imperial IPA is seriously alive and is the most extraordinary IPA this seasoned Imperial Stout enthusiast (since the 1970s) has ever experienced.

To get maximum feel, pour into snifter from 6" height & let settle for a couple minutes to dispense of carbonation before taking a sip. I only age & drink Imperial beers at around 55 degrees to get maximal flavor for my dollars. Prior to sale, all Imperials are refrigerated, stunting their growth. Never buy an Imperial beer & drink it the same day. Always age Imperial beers at least two months at basement floor temperature prior to consumption.

Then, Imperials like Molotov Cocktail's Sweet & Bitter & Sweet & Bitter & Sweet bouquet will be even more enhanced & 13% ABV just might be enhanced! Molotov Cocktail will be like popping in your mouth 1 citrus & 1 tropical English jellied candy & once chewed up together, swished around with a swig of Everclear. A beer like this deserves time to mature.

4.93/5  rDev +26.4%

I loved this beer from the pop of the cap. It pours with a nice ruby color and full head that lasted well and left a nice glass lacing. First Aromas were heavily floral with a nice alcohol note. Taste: front end of bread grains and and pine followed by a nice ballanced alcohol warming and smooth finish of pine and nuts with just the right touch of bitterness. For a 13% alcohol beer, it drinks smooth, balanced and we'll mannered but leave you wanting another sip.

4.9/5  rDev +25.6%

Aroma: Deep and malty, with plenty of brown sugar and decadent sweetness, very light pine and resin
Appearance: An amber maroon hue that is quite beautiful to behold!
Taste: Heavily sweet, lightly bitter, with a medium sourness that holds on for a brilliantly long finish
Palate: Medium body with a thin, slick texture, average carbonation and an abrupt finish
Overall: A triple IPA should be "different". This is. With an approximate 13% ABV this is a potent, malty, sweet beer with slight hints of hops and abundant malts. Hand your buddy the keys and have three, or five! Serving type: on-tap ”

4.89/5  rDev +25.4%

Good good damn good. I love the taste, strong but the alchohol is well hidden.

Drank it from a bottle dated 10/15/2013 and it has become one of the few beers I just want to sip slowly.
Reviews by format are not for me. I do not write fancy reviews. I either like it, tolerate it, hate it, love it, treasure it. This is one of my personal elite treasures.

Evil Twin brews great beer. This may be their best.

Up there with my favs, Duvel, Dogfish Burton Barton, Allagash Trippel and the Stone IPa's.

Make these beers more affordable and I would never have to try anything else again.

10-10-2013 04:54:37 | More by jep2606

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%

Bronze toward orange, cloudy, fine foam, but particularly beautiful.

Smells initially sweet, clear floral and piney hop aromas, heavy-duty lightly toasted malt also dominates. It's a feast in the nose.

Continuing the aroma profile, toffee sweetness, full malt assault of biscuit and bread, finishes as hoppy bitter in the finish as full in the beginning. Fills the mouth pleasingly.

Overall one of my favorite beers. A must if you seek flavor in your beer.

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Grabbed this on tap while I could....heard from a friend it goes quickly.

A - looks like an ipa should

S - sweet, hoppy, piney

T - I usually don't love sweet IPAs but wow, this thing is something special. It has a special sweet malty flavor that allows an extreme hop to come through...unreal.

M - prickly, lots of carbonation

O - grab this beer if you see it. I had it on tap for a decent price...heard it's expensive in bottles but I'd grab 10 cases if I could.

4.81/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm astonished at the middling score of this brew here on BA. Perhaps my incredulity comes from drinking a cellar-aged bottle of Molotov Cocktail (about 18 months of aging). But this has got to be one of the ten best beers I've had in years.

Oh, man, the aroma is nice and fruity/florally.

Then flavor in the mouth. Holy cow. It's grapefruit gumball -- as if there were such a thing. And that's why I'm scoring this so highly. It's a one of a kind IIPA, for certain.

Mouthfeel is crazily syrupy, yet leavened by significant fizz. Like a Sauterne crossed with a moscato di asti.

It's just elite-quality beer. It's better than the bulk of top IIPA's, such as 90 Minute, Dreadnaught, Hop Stoopid, and Lagunitas Sucks (though I do like Lagunitas Sucks quite a lot).

4.74/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours deep copper, with a very nice white foam head. Smell is amazing, frutal hops and sweet malt to balance. Taste is very nice, strong bitter kick but extremely well balanced with the grains, excellent beer.

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Just picked up four pack of Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail, in my book its a great substitute for the Maharaja by Avery. Very similar beers but unfortunately we don't get Avery beers in NWA anymore.

A: Cloudy, full of sediment, golden amber color, with a slight head to it.

S: Slight hint of pine to it, very citrusy with a nice malt blend to it.

T: A slight sweet citrusy taste to it, light caramel/malt to it with a super smooth finish for an Imperial IPA. Very easy to drink and a slight carbonation to it.

M: Very vibrant flavors of various citric fruits, not super heavy, leaves a smooth finish afterwards even though it comes at a surprising 13%.

O: Fantastic beer from Evil Twin, this is my first but definitely not my last. Again, I'm a HUGE fan of Avery Beers and their Maharaja and now the Raja, but since we can't get Avery beers in NWA I have a strong feeling that Evil Twin will be my go to Imperial IPA till i make a trip to Texas and snag some of the Rajas and Maharajas.

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer deserves MORE respect! Seriously, one impressive double imperial IPA.

This DIPA was bottled on 10/15/13... It tasted fresh and had a warm, creeping potency to its alcohol content.. Kind of a burnt orange color with a small head..

The body and mouthfeel was full, warm,and sugary.. This assisted in hiding the oppressive 13% alcohol content. The finish was slick and thick..

Upfront, the hops exploded...on the finish, this beer smelled kind of a funky wet-hopped-like bitterness..

Overall, very impressive brew.. A GREAT one! HIGHLY recommended!

4.67/5  rDev +19.7%

An expected cloudy brownish orange with a 3/4 inch head that stayed the duration. Was love at first sip with an excellent hop aroma and taste. Good medium heavy mouth feel. Plenty of staying power on the tongue, too. Totally enjoyed this one from start to finish. Should be one of the higher rated Imperial IPAs, in my opinion.

4.66/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't get enough of this stuff. It has a pretty unique taste over others in the class. Pretty strong alcohol flavor - buts its probably hard to mask at 13% abv. There is a thick and syrupy mouthfeel, accompanied by a sweet start. I suggest serving cooler than the suggested temperature for a DIPA, so below 46 degrees

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Only the best IPA I Ever tasted. As a Bend OR beer drinker and brewer I stand by this statement. A pour from Growler Guys and a growler fill. Incredible ... yes it has a grapefruit flavor and high ABV. But really, just a darn good beer, may I drink much more. Better from the tap than the can, Viva NY

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. This is an IPA perfect for me, and blows away the 4 ipas I had last nite and just about every IPA I've ever had. This ranks with fresh Hop 15 and Brew Dog's Hard Core as the best ipas I've had. Was intrigued by the description, had to go try it, soon as I tasted, ordered my 32 oz growler. And now that I'm halfway in, I know this is a world class beer.

Perfect color, tons of bubbles, the first pour in my sniffer clear and bubbly, subsequent pours thicker and opaque. Smells and tastes of huge dank hops, pine and citrus, huge bitterness envelops every part of your palate, leaving you dry, bitter, and thirsting for more. The amount of hops in this beer is insane, so freaking good it's unbelievable. Booze? Yea its boozy, just the way I like it.

This is why we drink beer, immediately leaps to my best of list. It's not for everyone, but its certainly for me. Outstanding.

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Batch #022 poured into a Waterford (classy!) white wine glass

A - Pours a golden yellow/orange with a conservative, 1-finger white head. The last bit of the pour introduced a massive amount of 'floaties' that remained in suspension throughout the drinking experience. (3.5)

S - Citrus and Tropical...juicy orange is the first noticed followed by mango and grapefruit zest. Although subtle, there is a sticky, resinous quality lingering in the background. For 13% ABV, the alcohol is completely masked on the nose. A tad one dimensional, but smells delicious nonetheless. (4.5)

T - Nectar of the Gods. The sweet citrus and tropical vibe found in the nose carries through onto the palate. Sweet citrus (orange, clementine, grapefruit), fleshy tropical fruit (mango, papaya) converge with a solid malt backbone to bring this behemoth into focus. The flavors blend with precision. (4.75)

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation (non-nucleated glassware used) Molotov Cocktail presents itself well. After the sip, the palate is left abrasively sticky and dry, forgoing any notion that this IPA 'cloying' in any facet. As a matter of fact, this beer could be considered refreshing at at the proper moment, but respect is paid to its heft and it is a treat to sit back and enjoy. (4.75)

O - I have had this beer on numerous occasions with varying degrees of pleasure and this one ranks at the top of the heap. Since the 'floaties' do not look like yeast or any by-product of the standard brewing process, I can only surmise that they are the result of the 'natural flavors' added. This is a gargantuan IPA that maintains aroma, mouthfeel, flavor and bitterness all in balance making Molotov Cocktail a memorable high gravity IPA ('Triple' IPA, if you will). My only criticism comes in the form of the bottle dating...batch codes mean nothing to the consumer and would love to know when something like an IPA was packaged (or a Best By Date, at least). That said, if Evil Twin wants to continue the charade of bottle dates, then I now have my reference the next time I look for another 4-Pack of Molotov Cocktail (4.5)

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer, it reminds me of a thicker version of devil dancer.
I special ordered the last 2 cases available in my area, if anyone wants to trade email me and maybe we can set something up! I'd really like to get my hands on some pliny or some good Belgians

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Okay. My nose has been shot since I was a kid (my dad was a smoker), so I can't discern much smell -wise. And I work at Microsoft. There's the background. When I get home on Friday nights, I want something interesting, fairly strong, and fairly inexpensive. I saw this beer in Whole Foods. 13% IPA for $8. Sounded like a bargain. It was. Very strong, but very drinkable. Notes of inexpensive and a long finish of relaxing. Highly underrated.

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 6.25.13. No fears - I bet this one ages well

L - Bronze with rich texture, no clarity, and sediment floating through out. 1 full finger of head and some sticky lace left on the glass. IPA's don't get better looking than this one!

S - Extreme dank hops and ...BOOZE! Wow.

T - A hop bomb in the purest sense. Lots of booze, but goes down easy. Sweet, but not overly, and a good combination of citrus and pine hops. Freakin GOOD!

F - Oily, slick, full bodied.

O - This one is definitely flammable. Tasty as hell. Wow. Get it if you find it!

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer will kick your ass. At 13% ABV, it's surprisingly smooth and flavorful. It's one of my go-to beers when I'm in the mood to splurge. Great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Copper gold with a light haze under a 1” off white foam collar that grabs onto the dise of the glass producing a thin line of lace with each drink.
S: Citrus herbal nose with hints of grass.
T: very creamy attack witth big malt followed buy a shot of caramel and then an evolving hop bitterness wrapped around alcohol.
F: Chewy, medium carbonation
O: Has a mixed drink intensity and character

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow, oh, wow.  Pours a gorgeous copper color with smells of massive pineapple and mango.  First sip blows my mind. 13%, are you sure?  No hint of alcohol.  The tropical fruits continue to hammer the palate, while a fruit sweetness comes in along with a touch of bitterness.  I wouldn’t say this is malt balanced, since the fruit flavors really stand out, but personally I can’t get enough of it.  Absolutely stellar beer, once I’ll always order when I see it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Initially, this beer has a sweet taste of pineapples and bread, before a nice hops bitterness. Every sip I notice a new nuance to the flavor, and it's much more interesting a brew than most IPAs I've had. Although it packs a kick, it hides the alcohol well and doesn't taste terribly much or it. Will have to snag a few more bottles to stash away.

Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail from Evil Twin Brewing