Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Roman Empire had a certain "je ne sais quoi" - festive food culture, extravagant architecture, and spectacular live entertainment. Some might argue the Emperors were brutal, mad, and hungry for power, and the people vain when taking baths and working out all day. Listen - that's still all part of the secret Imperial ingredient - keep it cool, clean, confident, arrogant, and flamboyant. Forza Imperiale.

Added by BlackBelt5112203 on 04-12-2012

#341

Ratings: 4,325 |  Reviews: 647
3.34/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Way too sweet, I like my coffee black so this was not a bonus. Otherwise good coffee flavor, mouth feel and surprisingly no booziness...but won't buy again.

3.39/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From Brouwer’s Back in Black fest. Pours black with a medium finger of tan head, great retention.

Smell is coffee and something yeasty.

Taste is sweet. Watery, dry, medium mouthfeel. Decent.

Revisit from the bottle.

Pour jet black with a dark tan head.

Smell is soft coffee.

Taste is a bit more chocolate than I remember, coffee and a bit of red fruit on the end.

Thick and creamy.

Still say it is a pretty average stout.

3.4/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -21.8%

3.42/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a major letdown after hearing and reading about it.
Paid $17 for a bomber and poured into a Deschutes snifter.
Looks really good. Wasn't the most aggressive pour but minimal head.
Aroma after a good swirl is pretty good...I get some solid vanilla and maybe some chocolate.
At this point, I'm itching to get into it. And when I finally do...what the hell?
Where did this beer go? I get none of the flavors that I detected in the nose.
Then I put the glass down and it's got good, Carmel lacing. Am I smoking crack?
Next sip, same thing: flat flavor and zero mouthfeel.
Well, I'll finish this bomber on principal alone and I'm glad that I finally pulled the trigger on this, but it's a major letdown, kinda like the hot chick that you finally get in the sack that you and your buddies have long wondered about:
Looks really hot and you've heard great things. She looks and smells awesome but is flat front and back with zero head and mouthfeel. At this point you're already getting some, so you might as well finish the job and share your experiences with your buddies to spare them the same painful fate.

3.43/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer had, really, not much of a smell to mention.
The taste of the beer got worse as I drank it; I found myself dropping the taste rating in my head with each sip.
The mouthfeel was above average- there was some real substance, I'm just not sure what it was.
Overall, this isn't a bad brew. I just don't understand why it's received by others as "world-class". I love my stouts, just not this one. To each his own.

3.45/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Black with little to no head.

Smell is kind of nondescript, a little hot cola, roasted nuts, soy sauce, and a residue of sticky coffee.

Taste is big time round amaretto, a little boozy, with chocolate, maybe overly roasted malt and bitter coffee.

Something about the biscotti direction has me smelling and tasting hints of raspberries in this brew. I like it at times. There is a bready kick as well, but not much roasty flavor.

Biscotti Break is actually quite creamy. A bit thin and slick.

3.5/5  rDev -19.5%

Split a 22 oz bottle. Pours thick sludgy black with a small dark brown creamy head that receded and coated the glass nicely on the way down.

Lots of roasted malt and espresso in the nose. Dark chocolate and vanilla as well but the coffee/espresso notes were the strongest.

Taste was a letdown. The espresso came through a bit, but not as much as in the nose. Dominated by cocoa/chocolate with a little earthy bitterness. By the time it warmed to room temperature was incredibly sweet with nothing but chocolate in the flavor.

Creamy mouthfeel although felt a bit thin at times. Alcohol is very well hidden as I would have guessed this is around 7-8% based off alcohol taste. Got very cloying as it warmed.

Was let down by this one even more so after the great appearance and aroma. A little too one note and sweet for my taste. I struggled to put down 11 oz and didn't finish what my girlfriend didn't drink either which almost never happens. That said, I'd love to see a barrel aged version of this. Adding some booze to balance the sweetness would seem to work well.

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin Brewing