Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Roman Empire had a certain "je ne sais quoi" - festive food culture, extravagant architecture, and spectacular live entertainment. Some might argue the Emperors were brutal, mad, and hungry for power, and the people vain when taking baths and working out all day. Listen - that's still all part of the secret Imperial ingredient - keep it cool, clean, confident, arrogant, and flamboyant. Forza Imperiale.

Added by BlackBelt5112203 on 04-12-2012

Reviews: 587 | Ratings: 4,139
2.63/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Best before 2015

So I figured I'd give this a try, as I found it at a "good" price of $16 for the bomber. Black, inky, some rim graham foam. Smells initially like booze, then coffee, then almonds, then dark toasted malts, then some vanilla, almond, sugar, hints of amaretto. If the booze wasn't so strong on the nose, then I'd really enjoy the smell of the beer overall. Flavor is alcohol, then dark fruits, more alcohol and some bitterness. Seriously, the alcohol is too much here for 11.5% ABV, brutal. Medium on full bodied with low carb and a tacky, dry finish. I don't get it.

2.72/5  rDev -37%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Pours dark brown with a finger head and good lacing. Aroma is sweet malt, chocolate, and coffee, but everything was downhill after that. This was a malty, syrupy, cloying mess of a beer. Milk chocolate and vanilla are present with copious amounts of malt, but its out of balance. I get liquorice and dark fruit as it warms. I had high expectations and was very disappointed. No need to try this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours black with a mocha head. Aroma is waaay too alcoholic; strong alcoholic fumes on top of some caramel, wafers, milk chocolate, nutty and a little roasty coffee. Alcohol shows up in the flavor way too strongly along with some caramel, nutty, wafers, chocolate, and a little coffee. Cloyingly sweet and and alcoholic. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and dead flat. Overall, drain poured my 8 ounces of this, gave the rest of the bomber to my roommate. This one is not for me, won't drink again.

2.82/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Purchase from Binny's, cracked on April 10th, 2013.

A - Fairly deep snakewood coloring, with a thin, yet fluffy, light brown head. Fair lacing and legs.

S - Predominant lighter-roasted coffee and rye grains.

T - Lactose, milk chocolate powder, dark fruit skins.

M - Very short finish, light-medium body (appearance was misleading here).

D - An absolute waste of $15. The coffee takes over and dampens whatever further complexity there could have (and should have) been. Easily one of the most overrated stouts I've come across.

3.09/5  rDev -28.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours dark brown/black with a medium creamy brown head that slowly goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate with some roast, flowers and some tart fruit.

The flavor is sweet lactic chocolate with some roast coffee, vanilla, fruit and a fairly bitter finish. The alcohol is warming but not overbearing. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, it's OK. Too sweet and alcoholic for me. The floral fruitiness didn't mesh well with the roast chocolate to me.

3.09/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

160z can into a pint glass. batch #4, whatever that means.

looks pure evil as it pours blacker than black with the look of old motor oil. nice small beige head, leaving some lacing at first. head eventually disappears altogether.

aroma is strongly of bourbon. there are some faint cocoa tones, but little else. thought i'd picked up the BBA version, but no, at least according to the can.

oh dear. taste is almost exclusively bourbon alcohol. no almond, no vanilla, it does pick up some coffee tones as it warms up. there is a faintly metallic quality to it as well.

close to full on the mouth. bourbon on the finish, as well as the faint metallic taste.

overall, I guess I', the only man in the country who does not like this beer one bit. reminds me of my reaction to Backwoods Bastard. just too much booze and not enough beer. sorry, Evil Twin, but this was a drain pour for me.

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Black with medium amount of tan head that evaporates slowly. High ABV and I taste all of it, the strong flavors don't hide it. Molasses thick body, strong amaretto smell and substantially carbonated. My issue with this is it doesn't taste like it was brewed with almonds, vanilla, etc. It tastes like a regular brew that had extra alcohol and almond extract added to it. Tastes very strongly, unmistakably of almond extract. I would recommend maybe a 4oz pour, I found it far too sweet with too much flavor extract to drink more than that amount.

3.34/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Way too sweet, I like my coffee black so this was not a bonus. Otherwise good coffee flavor, mouth feel and surprisingly no booziness...but won't buy again.

3.39/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From Brouwer’s Back in Black fest. Pours black with a medium finger of tan head, great retention.

Smell is coffee and something yeasty.

Taste is sweet. Watery, dry, medium mouthfeel. Decent.

Revisit from the bottle.

Pour jet black with a dark tan head.

Smell is soft coffee.

Taste is a bit more chocolate than I remember, coffee and a bit of red fruit on the end.

Thick and creamy.

Still say it is a pretty average stout.

3.42/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is a major letdown after hearing and reading about it.
Paid $17 for a bomber and poured into a Deschutes snifter.
Looks really good. Wasn't the most aggressive pour but minimal head.
Aroma after a good swirl is pretty good...I get some solid vanilla and maybe some chocolate.
At this point, I'm itching to get into it. And when I finally do...what the hell?
Where did this beer go? I get none of the flavors that I detected in the nose.
Then I put the glass down and it's got good, Carmel lacing. Am I smoking crack?
Next sip, same thing: flat flavor and zero mouthfeel.
Well, I'll finish this bomber on principal alone and I'm glad that I finally pulled the trigger on this, but it's a major letdown, kinda like the hot chick that you finally get in the sack that you and your buddies have long wondered about:
Looks really hot and you've heard great things. She looks and smells awesome but is flat front and back with zero head and mouthfeel. At this point you're already getting some, so you might as well finish the job and share your experiences with your buddies to spare them the same painful fate.

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer had, really, not much of a smell to mention.
The taste of the beer got worse as I drank it; I found myself dropping the taste rating in my head with each sip.
The mouthfeel was above average- there was some real substance, I'm just not sure what it was.
Overall, this isn't a bad brew. I just don't understand why it's received by others as "world-class". I love my stouts, just not this one. To each his own.

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Black with little to no head.

Smell is kind of nondescript, a little hot cola, roasted nuts, soy sauce, and a residue of sticky coffee.

Taste is big time round amaretto, a little boozy, with chocolate, maybe overly roasted malt and bitter coffee.

Something about the biscotti direction has me smelling and tasting hints of raspberries in this brew. I like it at times. There is a bready kick as well, but not much roasty flavor.

Biscotti Break is actually quite creamy. A bit thin and slick.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Split a 22 oz bottle. Pours thick sludgy black with a small dark brown creamy head that receded and coated the glass nicely on the way down.

Lots of roasted malt and espresso in the nose. Dark chocolate and vanilla as well but the coffee/espresso notes were the strongest.

Taste was a letdown. The espresso came through a bit, but not as much as in the nose. Dominated by cocoa/chocolate with a little earthy bitterness. By the time it warmed to room temperature was incredibly sweet with nothing but chocolate in the flavor.

Creamy mouthfeel although felt a bit thin at times. Alcohol is very well hidden as I would have guessed this is around 7-8% based off alcohol taste. Got very cloying as it warmed.

Was let down by this one even more so after the great appearance and aroma. A little too one note and sweet for my taste. I struggled to put down 11 oz and didn't finish what my girlfriend didn't drink either which almost never happens. That said, I'd love to see a barrel aged version of this. Adding some booze to balance the sweetness would seem to work well.

3.5/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 1 pt 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Served in a snifter

The beer poured a thick and viscous motor oil brown and was topped by a resilient, one-finger tall cap of saddle brown froth. Sheets of lacing coated the glass with every sip. The head slowly faded to clingy, bubbly ring.

Potent espresso notes dominated the nose. Good dose of roasted malts. Loads of vanilla. Touch of dark chocolate. The aroma was quite straightforward and, in this case, I definitely thought it worked well. If it were slightly more intense, however, I would have bumped the score up to a perfect "5."

While the flavor profile was similar in many ways to the nose, it was definitely more abrasive. The melding of heavily roasted coffee beans and roasted malts on the front was a bit too bitter for my palate. Bakers chocolate notes came through in the center. The finish was roasty and dry to the point of being acrid. Some earthy and piney hops made the beer even more bitter. On a positive note, the 11.5% ABV was remarkably well hidden.

The mouthfeel was disappointingly thin for the style. The liquid contained a fine, spritzy effervescence that was quite distracting.

I had high hopes for Evil Twin's Imperial Biscotti Break but was really let down by it. While aging this might lessen the coffee character, it could also smooth out its rough edges. I would be curious to see what some time in a bourbon barrel might do to this.

3.51/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Can to snifter. Look is opaque black with brown tinges at the edges. Smell is almond and vanilla. Taste is sharp boozy esters up front, and it kinda overpowers the rest of the palate. I do get more of the almond and vanilla late, and maybe the biscuit element, although I might be forcing it from the game. For a stout, I don't get a ton or roasty malts. Feel is also thin for a stout. But again the booze is really strong in this one. I like my big beers, but this one drinks a bit hot for me. Carb is solid though. Overall I had high expectations but was a bit underwhelmed.

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 2015... no idea when it might have been bottled.

Appearance: Jet black body with a generous finger of dark tan froth.

Aroma: Dark malts with a bit of a soy sauce edge. Maybe past its prime?

Taste: Definitely on the sweeter side but with a fair amount of bitterness on the back end. Quite boozy as well. Lots of black coffee essence and some harder flavors to discern (dark chocolate, almond, vanilla extract?) that all add up to an odd experience. Still it has a certain liqueur quality that is nice in the finish. Bitter dark chocolate/black coffee aftertaste. It's growing on me.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than molasses in the dead of winter. Just the right amount of minimal carbonation. Low drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Maybe past it's prime but still decent. The copious amount of flaky sediment coming out of the bottle when rinsing it had me worried. Would I drink it again? Maybe, but not before trying more of Evil Twin's lineup.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is my fourth beer from Evil Twin. I am bit reluctant to leave a review as what I am tasting doesn't jibe with what I am reading in the other reviews and I am suspicious of my can (fortunately, I have 3 more cans and can edit this if my taste buds improve) . That said, I don't see (or taste) any evidence there is something wrong with the beer I am drinking.

For the aroma, I am getting mostly an alcohol smell . . . no coffee, no vanilla, nothing. The taste matches the smell. A little bitter and a lot of alcohol. This hits me like some barrel aged offerings (Kentucky, Uinta) and 180 degrees off from the ET Even More Jesus. All-in-all, not something I am likely to buy again (but I will finish the 4 pack).

3.52/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L: This is a gorgeous deep brown with a white fluffy head. A little too dark to be perfect looking, but damn near close.

S: smells like a stout drenched in cloying sweetness.

T: if you like artificial flavors, this one is for you. Tastes like a melted biscotti ices -- somehow. There are some pleasant biscotti flavors in the mix (a hint of almond here, a smidge of cookie there, some vanilla extract on top) but this is mostly a cloying mess of a beer. This tastes neither like a stout nor like biscotti. Weird and not in a barnyard funk good way.

F: fine. velvety smooth, but also astringently alcoholic and thin.

O: I like biscotti and I like beer, but I don't like beer that tastes like biscotti's freakish mutated cousin-once-removed.

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

Got this recently from MegDuf32, thank you very much. Typical imperial stout appearance. Aroma is yeast, dough, slight coffee and biscotti or some type of cookie? Flavor is pretty close to the nose and good. My only complaint regarding this beer is that it is too sweet. The alcohol is hidden but its a sugary beer and I'm not sure I'll finish the entire bottle (though I likely will)

3.56/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: bottle from...er...Pinocchio's?

Only in comparing this with the regular Biscotti Break did I realize that that one is much more rare than this one. Interesting. I also found the regular version to be much better than the imperial. Also interesting is that the regular is a porter and this is a stout, yet the porter was much more full-bodied. But anyway.

Decanted into a Surly Darkness goblet, this beer was an impenetrable obsidian color, though brown edges became apparent towards the end; a small cap of tannish-mocha head on top retained as a ringlet, yielding minimal lacing, more oily streaking. Appropriate for the style / ABV. Aroma was fairly roasty, notes of chocolate, vanilla, caramel. Taste was quite disappointing compared to the regular BB, roasty malts, semi-sweet chocolate, light notes of vanilla and almond, with quite a bit of intrusive booze that really thinned out the body quite a bit. I tried letting this come down closer to room temperature, but even with that, things didn't improve much. About medium-bodied, watered-down booze-like mouthfeel, not at all rich and creamy. Still decent overall, but lacking in many ways. This was a mess compared to its porter counterpart which was much more balanced and tasty.

3.56/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Too artificial tasting....like an unnatural weird mall coffee drink. Full bodied, oily, with an unpleasant aftertaste...again, artificial tasting. Just didn't get this.

3.59/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Sweet and nutty with a little tangy edge. The almond flavor somehow tastes Italian. More cocoa than coffee, with vanilla and burnt sugar. Creamy. A good job of re-creating a dessert, if you like that kind of thing.

Handsome dark brown with an abundant foam in the narrow Bitburger glass. Sudsy mouthfeel. Rich aromas of coffee and chocolate. From the 16 oz can purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle.

3.62/5  rDev -16.2%

Appreciate the concept of a stout with almond and vanilla notes. Would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't for the over the top cloying sweetness. Also the flavor notes seem somewhat artificial and not well incorporated into the whole. Sorta liked it. Didn't love it. Bottom line: too sweet (and that coming from someone who positively loves English Barleywines.)

3.63/5  rDev -16%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of black coffee. Taste is strong coffee, sugars, some vanilla, alcohol is present. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer, but didn't meet up to the hype.

3.64/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a good beer but,holy shit is it overrated.im getting no coffee on aroma,maybe my bottle was cellared and more chocolate forward but it's a very boozy chocolate muffled smell.its an attractive beer in the glass but I was really disappointing.i was hoping for a big coffee aroma with hints of chocolate.and an absolute waste of money 16.99 a bomber?too many better options out there than this.ill only be drinking this if its gifted to me

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin Brewing