Imperial Biscotti Break | Evil Twin Brewing

Evil Twin Brewing
New York, United States
eviltwin.dk

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Roman Empire had a certain "je ne sais quoi" - festive food culture, extravagant architecture, and spectacular live entertainment. Some might argue the Emperors were brutal, mad, and hungry for power, and the people vain when taking baths and working out all day. Listen - that's still all part of the secret Imperial ingredient - keep it cool, clean, confident, arrogant, and flamboyant. Forza Imperiale.

Added by BlackBelt5112203 on 04-12-2012

#360

View: Beers
Ratings: 4,398 |  Reviews: 667
3.61/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My bottle was over a year old. Coffee was non existent and it was very sweet. I've had it fresh and it was excellent. Live and learn

3.62/5  rDev -16.8%

Appreciate the concept of a stout with almond and vanilla notes. Would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't for the over the top cloying sweetness. Also the flavor notes seem somewhat artificial and not well incorporated into the whole. Sorta liked it. Didn't love it. Bottom line: too sweet (and that coming from someone who positively loves English Barleywines.)

3.63/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of black coffee. Taste is strong coffee, sugars, some vanilla, alcohol is present. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer, but didn't meet up to the hype.

3.63/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a good beer but,holy shit is it overrated.im getting no coffee on aroma,maybe my bottle was cellared and more chocolate forward but it's a very boozy chocolate muffled smell.its an attractive beer in the glass but I was really disappointing.i was hoping for a big coffee aroma with hints of chocolate.and an absolute waste of money 16.99 a bomber?too many better options out there than this.ill only be drinking this if its gifted to me

3.64/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Sleuthdog for opening this at a tasting!

A: pour is jet black engine oil with extremely high viscosity, pour with absolutely no head formation, no lacing. With a couple twirls of the glass, a very thin dark mocha head will form that dissipates into a thin film

S: I get a balance of coffee and espresso notes, molasses, toasted notes, some milk/creaminess also lingers. Slight burn of alcohol also is noticeable along with some sourness and dark chocolate lies in the back

T: tastes like a big chocolate brownie. In addition to the big chocolate, I pick up on coffee, smokiness, alcohol, some fruit characters and an slight creamy finish. Just a touch of hop character.

M: this is chewable…defintely one of the biggest beers I’ve ever had. It fits the appearance and the smell, nothing to complain about here.

O: I find this one off-balance in the smell as well as the taste… I find a sourness in the smell that pushes away some of the more aromatic notes and the taste just seems odd to me. This is my first offering by Evil Twin, and yet it is a good beer, by no means do I think that this is great (sorry, just my opinion). Not that this is a “knock”, but this one needs to be shared with others if you are going to open.

3.66/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Sweet thin and boozey in a good way. I was expecting a little more but satisfied. Poured thin with minimal head from a hard pour no lacing. Smell sugar cookies taste sweetness think coffee and glazed donuts not much else, complexity is absent just varying stages of sweetness no attempt to hide the alcohol but that adds to it's flavor character. Even though I just slightly bashed it .it is really enjoyable, tastes better as it warms definitely a sweet dessert stout . I would say try it if you see it. I would love to try a barrel aged version and will buy this again for a nice change of pace.

3.67/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -15.6%

A-Pours a syrupy, pitch black color with a dark cinnamon colored, creamy head with fair retention. Head purs at a one finger width and fades slowly to a half finger. Coats the entire glass as I sip and leaves a nice latticework of residual foam.

S-Sweet, fresh baked bread, sweet pastries, syrup and pancakes, bold coffee, slightly boozy, oatmeal raisin cookies.

T-Sweet, sugared bread is overpowering at the front but it fades nicely into a nutty, bold/bitter coffee flavor at the back of the palate. Finishes with a nice balance between the sweetness and bitter coffee

MF-Syrupy as hell. By far the thickest beer I've ever had. Body is thick and chewy, it seems to have the consistency of motor oil. I bought a bomber for my self tonight and there is no way I can drink all 25oz.

O-This is not for the faint of heart. Very, very sweet. Thick as hell. A pretty good imperial, but I think it is just too sweet. Looks better than most imperial's I've seen, though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -15.4%

Who doesn't love New Beer Sunday? How CAN you not enjoy a CANportunity to really do some damage under the auspices of doing something New? Happy Even More Even More Evil Twin Sunday (Week 678) as I delve even deeper into this madness!

From the CAN: "Imperial Stout brewed with Coffee and with Almond and Vanilla added"; "Italy has a certain 'je ne sais quoi' - fab food culture, highly decadent history of art and cool countryside. Some might argue the people are loud and flamboyant, they steal our women, the soccer players melodramatically flop on the pitch. Listen - that's all part of the secret Italian ingredient - keep it cool, confident, arrogant, and extravagant. Forza Italia."

I wanted to Crack! this CAN open & CANduct an inverted Glug in retaliation for the CANsense of the last one, but that was not fitting. Instead, I went with a slow, gentle Glug. Unbidden, it still formed a finger of foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with modest retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose was as sweet as the previous gem, loads of nuttiness & vanilla, but the coffee was taking a back seat. This brewery pi**ed me off with the last one, an overpriced p.o.s. & this was doing naught to repair the damage! Biscotti? Not on the nose! Coffee? Not on the nose! Added almond & vanilla? Fine. A check of the style descriptor lets you off of the hook, but I am NOT happy. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, less than what I would & CAN expect in the style. The taste was odd with an initial coffee bitterness, but tempered with a nuttiness that I could not readily identify along with a very identifiable vanilla sweetness. Biscotti? I am unsure. I love Biscotti from Enrico's in Pixburgh's Strip Disrick, but this was not evocative of any of their variegated products. I found myself wishing that they could have found a happier medium between the coffee and the almond flavors while leaving the vanilla in the beta stage. Almond infused coffee is bangin', yo, but this lacked that kind of CANpelling quality. Instead, it seemed kind of CANfused, wandering from coffee to nutty and finishing with a vague sweetness, perhaps of vanilla, but I would not swear to it. Finish was equally difficult to quantify - semi-sweet or semi-dry? Pick one, 'cause I CANnot. I was unimpressed.

3.68/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev -15.2%

had on draft today at Original Gravity in San Jose.

A: Completely opaque. In fact, the room became a bit darker once poured. In all seriousness, I think this is the darkest beer I've ever drank. Mocha colored head, but only present with some swirling.

S: Cocoa is the first thing that come through. A hint of sweet biscotti (who'd a thunk?). Not one bit of alcohol.

T: There is a bit of funk in this one. The bitterness of the cocoa and a mild background of currants. Alcohol is very well hidden in this one.

M: uber sticky but not overpowering. I will still be tasting it on the ride home

O: smells better than it tastes. I hope that the funk in the taste is from poor transportation practices in getting it to California, as opposed to the actual character of the beer. I'll have to try it again from a different source. I was really looking forward to this one.

3.69/5  rDev -15.2%

What happened to this beer? It used to be great and now it's just okay.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle into tasting snifter at Darkness Day. Cannot remember who shared this, but thanks!

A- Pours a pitch black with a thin mocha head that leaves minimal lacing.

S- Cookie like sweetness upfront with vanilla, brown sugar, dark chocolate followed by coffee beans, caramel and roasted malt.

T- Caramel and roasted malt upfront followed by some bitter coffee grounds, vanilla and some dark chocolate. The coffee actually hurts the taste of this beer as it reminds of me coffee beans that were grounded too fine.

M- Medium carbonation and body with a slightly dry finish. ABV is hidden well.

O- While the aroma was promising, the bitter coffee taste really hurt this beer IMO. Glad I tried this as I've been hearing good things, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find another bottle.

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

Pour is jet black with a tight dark mahogany head. Nose is rich, dark roasted malts with chocolate cake batter, anise, cooked brown sugar, and a bit of residual sugar. Taste is also big, not overly sugary for the richness. Deeply roasted dark malts with rich cake batter and brown sugar. Full bodied, light bitterness lingers through a softly carbonated finish.

3.72/5  rDev -14.5%

3.72/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Hugely excited for this one due to its high ratings throughout the years. 11.50% ABV confirmed. Distributed by Twelve Percent LLC (which I vastly prefer to the Shelton Bastards). Produced and bottled by Westbrook Brewing Co., Mount Pleasant, SC. Charleston Coffee Roasters coffee was used for this according to the label. Brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and brown label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are sky high.

Served chilled but not refrigerator cold. Allowed to warm to room temperature over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with a bit of Swiss chocolate.

A: Pours a half finger beautiful rich dark tan colour vibrant silky head of marvelous cream, great thickness, and good reention (2 minutes) considering the high ABV. Head is supple and luscious; quite fantastic for the style and just what I want to see. Light lacing sticks to the side s of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a nontransparent opaque solid black. Not a jet black, but quite dark. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's not unique, but it's certainly special. Quite appealing; I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Rich smooth coffee/java and accompanying roast. An espresso kick. Quite fresh in terms of coffee. Cream. Chocolate. Milky notes. Very subtle buried light licorice. Caramel, cacao. Maybe light vanilla. The coffee in particular is a delightful aromatic note here, though the baker's chocolate/cacao powder gives it a hell of a run for its money. The subtle roast is exactly what I look for in a great imperial stout. This is shaping up to meet expectations. A complex, subtly executed, moderate strength aroma. No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

T: Wow. Yeah. Subtly masterfully executed coffee/biscotti notes, with a bit of a roasty espresso kick backed by creamy milky notes. Milk chocolate is evocative and luscious throughout. A bit of vanilla and caramel, like the filling when biting into a posh chocolate. It definitely hits the biscotti character it's going for but never comes off too sweet; Southern Tier could learn a lesson from these guys. Dark malts. I don't get the licorice I detected on the aroma. No yeast or alcohol comes through either. All around, it's masterfully balanced and subtly built. I'm falling in love with it. Decadent and enjoyable. Quite rich and delightful. It's a lovely flavour profile for an imperial stout, and the coffee character is incredible. Yet it's different from the bold heavy coffee character of something like Big Bad Baptist; this is roasty and subtle.

As it warms, it begins to flirt with overdone sweetness (I might have to retract my above comment about the sweetness a bit). This is the key factor holding it back from a higher rating.

Mf: Fantastically creamy and smooth, letting its rich flavours really emerge. Never too slick. Wet enough to refresh, but dry enough to support the roast. Perfect carbonation and thickness. Feels custom-tailored to the flavour profile. Magnificient.

Dr: Not at all a sipper. Quite drinkable; it's not too filling like many imperial stouts, and I know I'll have little trouble killing it by myself. This beer met expectations and rather impressed me. This is definitely one to buy and cellar if that's your thing. I'd definitely have this again, preferably shared with friends or in a smaller amount on draught. By far one of the best beers I've had from Evil Twin.

Pairs magnificently with good chocolate. One of the better imperial stouts for this purpose I've come across.

High B+

Drank fine from a goblet, but I'd recommend a snifter or teku. Unless it's a unique goblet, like a Guinness goblet - small and narrow.

Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin Brewing