Even More Jesus | Evil Twin Brewing

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,073 |  Reviews: 425
4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

4.29/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pitch black opaque with a finger of tan head, pours thick like motor oil.
Smells of dark roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, and dark malts.
Taste follows, strong coffee(like the sludge left if I forgot to turn off the coffee pot before going to work because I only finished half of the pot before I left), baking chocolate, dark roasted malts, and a touch of dark fruits.
Full bodied for sure, thick yet smooth feel with a hint of alcohol.
Overall tasty, I could see this being a staple in the beer fridge from here on out.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I expected the motor oil visual quality when I bought this but holy shit! Hold it right up against the sun... nothing. Not the faintest glow. Apparently getting more Jesus involves roasting malted barley into a black hole. If the look is over the top, the smell is under the radar. As it warms the chocolate becomes more pronounced, telling me it was a little too cold when I poured it...definitely a pleasant and subtle tobacco in there. The taste blew me away. Beautiful bitterness when I expected cloying sweetness roasty malt followed by a beautifully complimentary alcohol bite. Yet a sweet coating left on the lips. And the price for a 16 0z can makes this such a bargain! I'll be back for more.

4.23/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not bad, but a bit on the ashy side for my taste. I do prefer my stouts chocolaty rather than ashy and coffee. Therefore, rating is as it is.

4.36/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Happy Even More Evil Twin Sunday (Week 678) as I (kind of) pick up where I left off last Sunday. This is a real opportunity to make some inroads as far as The CANQuest (tm) is CANcerned, since EVERYTHING that I have lined up for the day is in aluminum cylinders! 8=O I am starting with the high-ABV beers since a) why not & b) Even More Evil Twin Sunday should begin with Even More of something available from them.

From the CAN: "A few times in the history of craft beer it has happened that a highly praised beer rises beyond mortal stardom into the higher godly league. Usually the recipe to make such heavenly drops is thick fudge-like body, pitch black color, amazingly overwhelming aromas of chocolate, coffee, dark fruits and muscovado sugar, obviously only made in limited amounts and most crucial of all -- it must taste rare!"

And what is so rare as a high-ABV beer from a CAN on a snowy day in February? This, from "The Vision of Sir CANfal".

I Crack!ed the CAN open, but given its 1-pint size, I was only interested in a slow, gentle Glug. Once properly decanted, a vigorous in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of foamy, fizzy, dark-brown head that quickly fizzled away to wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled strongly of baker's chocolate & charcoal smoke! 8=O Jesus! Mouthfeel was big, thick, creamy & full, like a dollop in my mouth. The taste was really bitter, closer to anise & treacle than baker's chocolate, although I also got that. Warming as it rolled around on my tongue, I began to taste dried dark fruits, think prunes, dates, figs. Phew! But where was all of the alcohol? Lurking in the bushes, in the weeds, around a dark corner, waiting to ambush me as I strolled along, unawares. Whoa! Boy, is this stuff dangerous. The bitterness began to remind me of my morning cuppa joe which needs to be coaxed through the filter & then ladled into my cup due to its viscosity. I am a retired U.S. Navy sailor & I drink my coffee like my women & my magic - hot & black! No hot milkshakes for me, nossir. Of course, using a half a CAN of grounds for one pot may seem excessive, but it works for me. I love that feeling of my heart trying to eject itself from my chest! As I poured the remainder of the CAN into my glass, I was reminded of my late Pops putting 10W40 oil into one of our succession of junker cars. We were on the low end of middle-class when I was growing up & we just shambled along in whichever car we could afford through a Want Ad. Some of them needed high viscosity oil even in the summer since the gaskets, rings & seals were shot & the high viscosity stuff leaked out more slowly. This beer looked like that stuff! I used to imagine that I was riding in a James Bond-mobile as we laid down a heavy, oily smoke screen wherever we went. Good times, bro, good times. The finish was also a good time, or at least what I CAN remember of it. Dry, bitter & with the bodies of dead hookers littering the living room. Man, I hate having to rent a U-Haul on a Sunday! I blame this on Jesus. Maybe I'll wait until rigor starts to kick in, stretch them out & stack them in the basement like cordwood until later in the week. It wouldn't be the first time.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.37/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

In a can bought from Systembolaget, Sweden at the release date, April 21 - 2017.
This beer has been resting for almost 10 month.

The beer pours thick, black with a brown, three finger high head.

Nose: Cream, dark chocolate, vanilla, roasted malt, rye, grain, coffee, brown sugar and dark syrup.
Taste: Smooth taste of dark chocolate, espresso, oak, roasted malt, vanilla, caramel, molasses and raisin.
Mouth: Full almost chewy body! Thick and smooth. A high bitterness that stays on the tounge.

Absolutely fantastic! The 12% ABV is there but I cant't say it's boozy. Just warming and smooth!

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours extremely thick and black as motor oil with a thin skin of a dark brown head. Lot of it sticking to the side of the glass.

Smells of light roasted malt with some sugar sweet. Smell seems to be muted quite a bit even as the beer warms.

Tastes of sweet dark sugar. Some dark roasted malts and a bit of dark cherry. Some alcohol present in the background.

Very thick mouth feel with a very full follow through.

If you are expecting an imperial stout that is what you get with this brew. An almost chewy beer that will leave the mouth, tongue and throat coated with a thick syrup like feel. I like to keep a glass of water handy to cleanse every now and than but this one still lingers. A very strong dark brew that I would be careful of if you are just venturing into the dark beers. For lovers of the dark beers this is like one of the star pupils of that brew style.

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thick light brown head that recedes but regenerates and laces with a swirl. Aroma is chocolate, caramelized sugars, plums, and roasted and roasted grains. Flavor is rich and sip-worthy with lots of dark chocolate covered cherries and sweet comforting alcohol and espresso. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy like a Ghirardelli square melting on your tongue. Praise Jesus!

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from fridge temp. Pours jet black with nice light brown head. Nose is chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate! Definitely getting some roasted malts as well. Taste is surprisingly like a typical stout. Burnt wood is upfront, with some tobacco and coffee. Chocolate is there, but not nearly as much as on the nose. Also getting some vanilla and caramel. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz. can

Fat cinnamon brown head with good lacing.
I didn't get much from the nose other than light chewing tobacco.
The robust flavor is rich and full of dark fruit and sugar. The alcohol is somewhat robust as well.
Full bodied with a nice viscosity.
Good sipper.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -3%

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Even More Jesus from Evil Twin Brewing