Evil Twin Lil' B | Evil Twin Brewing

Added by avalon07 on 08-08-2012

Ratings: 1,294 |  Reviews: 228
2.75/5  rDev -34.1%

2.78/5  rDev -33.3%

On tap at Coffee District. Served in a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Black body. Nice khaki head. Great surface wisping.

Smell - Boozy dark chocolate. Some sweetness and a hint of a chemical aroma. Almost meaty.

Taste - Rich chocolate. Caramel malt. Boozy. The finish is a little bitter. And then the plasticky flavor kicks in. Really kills what works with this beer.

Mouthfeel - Not too heavy, but boozy. The plastic flavor ruins it though.

Overall - Someone else described it as metallic and meaty. I got plastic. Something is off though.

2.79/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Bottled 8/20/13.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, smoke, cocoa, vanilla, oatmeal raisin cookie dough, and alcohol aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa, char, soy sauce, and metallic flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer with a solid set of aromas, but the taste is way too hard to stomach with the metallic and other off flavors.

2.89/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not my style, tastes like vinegar or sherry wine.

2.89/5  rDev -30.7%

Very sweet, lingering malt flavor that rounds out nicely. Good dessert beer

3.02/5  rDev -27.6%

Really not a big fan of this one. Way too malty in my opinion

3.14/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 3/20/13 and likely it has seen better days. No booze burn and a nice roasted coffee, brown sugar and dark chocolate flavors that barely lingered. Just tasted oxidized and really disappointing.

3.22/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Eye: Pours jet black, pretty much no head whatsoever. It could look better.

Nose: Overall weak aroma. Im getting some chocolate, but even that is weak.

Tongue: Chocolatey upfront with some burnt and hints of roast in the back. Tastes like a porter. Bitterness from roasted malts. Alcohol is detectable and plays a role in the flavor. Maybe some hints of prunes in there, other dark fruits. Body feels light due to higher carbonation that I would expect. Just a bit too much alcohol, more body and flavor and I'd be happier with it. Just really not impressed. Sure I drank the other three bottles no problem and enjoyed it, but for me its just not worth the money.

Drinkability: I mean this is a nice porter or Imperial porter I should say, however, as far as flavor goes, I'd much rather go for Founder's Porter. Such a better beer. The price point on this one two isn't justified by the flavor. Its good, but not that good. Somewhere around $13 a 4-pack, I'd rather go for Founder's at $10 a 6er. This is a good beer, don't get me wrong but I feel I'm left wanting more. Glad I've tried it, but I would rather drink something else, and come back to something else.

3.24/5  rDev -22.3%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Complexity, a lot of flavors underneath, but for me unpleasantly overwhelming winey taste of alcohol on top of everything. If you cannot balance a high abv brew with other flavors, you should not release the beer. If that does not bother you, you will probably love it.

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A coworker gifted me some bottles of this beer. Her husband had gotten some and didn't like it, so she gave them to me.

The flavor of this beer reminded me of Raisinette candies. It's not a bad thing, but I've never been a fan of chocolate covered raisins. But in beer form, it was alright - not quite my preference in beer flavors as it was a bit too sweet and heavy tasting for my liking. But it wasn't too bad to sip on.

Because of the higher alcohol content, and having already drunk another beer earlier, I was only able to finish half of the bottle. I still have a bottle left, but I may have to separate it into 2 servings to share.

Evil Twin Lil' B from Evil Twin Brewing