Evil Twin Lil' B | Evil Twin Brewing

Style: American Porter

Added by avalon07 on 08-08-2012

Ratings: 1,290 |  Reviews: 227
3.02/5  rDev -27.9%

Really not a big fan of this one. Way too malty in my opinion

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 3/20/13 and likely it has seen better days. No booze burn and a nice roasted coffee, brown sugar and dark chocolate flavors that barely lingered. Just tasted oxidized and really disappointing.

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Eye: Pours jet black, pretty much no head whatsoever. It could look better.

Nose: Overall weak aroma. Im getting some chocolate, but even that is weak.

Tongue: Chocolatey upfront with some burnt and hints of roast in the back. Tastes like a porter. Bitterness from roasted malts. Alcohol is detectable and plays a role in the flavor. Maybe some hints of prunes in there, other dark fruits. Body feels light due to higher carbonation that I would expect. Just a bit too much alcohol, more body and flavor and I'd be happier with it. Just really not impressed. Sure I drank the other three bottles no problem and enjoyed it, but for me its just not worth the money.

Drinkability: I mean this is a nice porter or Imperial porter I should say, however, as far as flavor goes, I'd much rather go for Founder's Porter. Such a better beer. The price point on this one two isn't justified by the flavor. Its good, but not that good. Somewhere around $13 a 4-pack, I'd rather go for Founder's at $10 a 6er. This is a good beer, don't get me wrong but I feel I'm left wanting more. Glad I've tried it, but I would rather drink something else, and come back to something else.

3.24/5  rDev -22.7%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Complexity, a lot of flavors underneath, but for me unpleasantly overwhelming winey taste of alcohol on top of everything. If you cannot balance a high abv brew with other flavors, you should not release the beer. If that does not bother you, you will probably love it.

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A coworker gifted me some bottles of this beer. Her husband had gotten some and didn't like it, so she gave them to me.

The flavor of this beer reminded me of Raisinette candies. It's not a bad thing, but I've never been a fan of chocolate covered raisins. But in beer form, it was alright - not quite my preference in beer flavors as it was a bit too sweet and heavy tasting for my liking. But it wasn't too bad to sip on.

Because of the higher alcohol content, and having already drunk another beer earlier, I was only able to finish half of the bottle. I still have a bottle left, but I may have to separate it into 2 servings to share.

3.32/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Tap and Mallet in Rochester, NY.

Apparently this is the base for Imperial Biscotti Break. They must really tinker with the base to get the deliciousness of IBB, because Lil' B is just not that good, at least for my tastes.

Pours a dark black, with a half inch mocha-colored head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells ashy and smokey, with some chocolate and roasted malt.

The ashiness of this beer is just hard to get by. I didn't really expect it, and I don't like it. There's some chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt poking through, but the ash and smoke overwhelms. Just not really a pleasant beer, unfortunately.

Medium bodied, creamy smooth mouthfeel, a bit of a slow sipper due to the off-flavors.

Not my thing at all, one of the few dark beers Evil Twin has let me down on.

3.35/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle opened on 10.5.13

A - Pours a very dark brown with a dark brown head that fades fairly quickly.

S - Roasted malt, smokey, chocolate.

T - Smokey and burnt malts.

D - Decent carbonation with a heavy body.

O - Very burnt and bitter. I am not a fan.

3.36/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chalice at Brasserie V.

L: Very, very limited head. Practically none. Black with violet edges.

S: Blackberries, and my friend smells coffee (which I don't).

T: Like chocolate grape juice. A bit too much for me. Sugary as hell. Like Welche's.

F: Again, it's like Welche's grape juice. Weird.

O: I get it, but it's too much for me. I don't get the beer, just the sugar.

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.49/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Evil Twin Lil' B from Evil Twin Brewing