Gerstel Non Alcoholic

Poor
Gerstel Non AlcoholicGerstel Non Alcoholic
Notes: None
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by tdm168:
by tdm168 from Pennsylvania

May 23, 2014
More User Ratings:
2.07/5  rDev -24.2%
by ElevenEleven

The nicest thing I can say about this beer is that it looks nice in the glass. After that, I'm afraid it's all downhill. It has an odd, somewhat metallic aroma with something sweeter cutting through. As for the taste, well it's a curious combination of blandness, sweetness and chemicals. It leaves a bitter, unpleasant aftertaste. I shan't be returning to this one.

Apr 25, 2021

1.5 by Fettpopps from Massachusetts on Nov 25, 2019
2.8/5  rDev +2.6%
by Hyptochrons from Massachusetts

not really sure how a NA beer should taste, so this might be way off!

its a perfectly nice looking beer, aromas are pretty meh. on palate is sweet corn, sweet malts, sort of herbal, green tea? apple? grainy, watery, mellow hint of grassy hop character. very strange.

Jan 23, 2019

2.98 by Heftklammer from Massachusetts on Dec 15, 2018
2.22/5  rDev -18.7%
by elNopalero from California

Pours a clear golden with a creamy cap of foam. Smells like honey. Sweet, almost too sweet. What's sad is I've had worst real beer. Curiosity pick that I wont return to.

Oct 04, 2018

2.72 by Robertas from Lithuania on Jul 08, 2018

3 by warpedrevolution from Illinois on Feb 27, 2018
2.24/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25
by jzlyo from Iowa

Aroma is very skunky and mild cloying sweetness. The flavor is cloying sweetness, fruit, off chemical in the middle and and a beery/grainy malt finish.

Feb 26, 2018

2.21 by Bitburger from Vermont on Feb 17, 2017
2.26/5  rDev -17.2%
by josanguapo from Spain

From El Corte Ingles El Duque. In Teku glass. At dinner, after futsal match. With Tuna + biscotte. It has the same corny taste than other NA ones, but at least is somehow compensated with a bit more body, bitterness and drinkability

Aug 11, 2016
1.43/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5
by MGibbons from Maryland

Oh my! That is one terrible-smelling beer. I'd like to figure out what that smell is, but my repeated inhalations are making me nauseous. The nose doesn't overpower nor entirely dictate the flavor of the beer. That's fortunate, because a flavor to match that aroma would certainly induce hurling. Oh wait, I don't think that first taste is sitting very well. The feel is thin and lightly effervescent, although my palate is left with an unpleasant coating to remind me of my recent error. My recommendation: stay away. I cannot envision a circumstance under which this beer should be consumed.

Aug 01, 2016

2.58 by innominat from Ireland on Jun 21, 2016

3 by Socialiste from Canada (QC) on Apr 08, 2016

2.5 by papat444 from Canada (QC) on Apr 08, 2016
3.09/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75
by ONovoMexicano from New Mexico

12 ounce bottle poured into a nonic glass.

I will confess right now, I bought this and I'm drinking it for the style tick on BA.

But guess what? It looks beautiful. Elegant, clear golden body and sudsy head. Lace is plentiful and streaks down the glass. No qualms here.

Smells reminds me of honey toast. Bready and sweet. Ever had a Malta before? That's exactly what this smells like. Molasses. 3.5

Taste is initially much like the nose, bready, sweet with honey and molasses, and Malta-like. However about mid-palate it just falters and all the flavor falls out leaving a water feel, skunkiness, and earthy, grassy hop flavor. It's not bad at all really, but it also isn't something I'd ever develop a hankering for. 2.75

Drinks fine, much like a lager, but lacks the clean feel of a great German brew. This is in part due to the skunkiness and the watery sensation. 3

I am not mad for trying this. Glad Trader Joe's had some in the singles department.

Oct 31, 2015

2.64 by gshak from Texas on Apr 03, 2015

5 by mjla from California on Dec 10, 2014

3 by monkeybeerbelly from New York on Sep 17, 2014
2.8/5  rDev +2.6%
by dbrauneis from North Carolina

A: Pours a clear medium yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation rising quickly from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy foamy white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of thick film surrounded by a large patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of slightly sweet corn and grain adjuncts over the top of a light aroma of bready malts.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of slightly sweet bready malts with a light to moderate flavor of corn + grainy adjuncts. There is just the faintest hint of floral hops. Light amounts of bitterness are present in the finish but do not linger for too long.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp but slightly thin.

O: Not bad for a low alcohol beer - has aspects of both a Pilsner and an American Adjunct Lager. Not sure I would get it with any regularity but it was worth trying.

Sep 12, 2014

1.75 by tom10101 from Canada (QC) on Nov 21, 2013

2.25 by Eriktheipaman from California on May 10, 2013
3.07/5  rDev +12.5%
by LXIXME from New Mexico

Medium white to off white head falls into a thinner lacing above a super clear bright golden colored beer.

Sour to skunk aroma that stays around while drinking this bottle of classic-mild.

Sour to bitter hops tasting light bodied affair is still kind of dominated by the aroma while drinking this.

A light sour dry aftertaste on this fairly carbonated drink.

Not much going on here that I can appreciate.

Oct 29, 2012
3.17/5  rDev +16.1%
by RodneyFarva from Spain

50cl can poured into a pint glass

a: pours a clear straw yellow with a two finger white head, which slowly dissipates. nice lacing

s: biscuity malts, a grassy sweetness, some light hops on the nose. lemony sweetness as well.

t: quite sweet and malty, floral and grassy, with a nice hoppy ending. mouthfeel is quite rich, carbonation high.

o: quite refeshing, like Clausthaler, this could easily pass for a decent pale Euro lager.

Mar 30, 2012
3.61/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5
by woosterbill from Kentucky

33cl bottle into a Duvel tulip. Style tick #98. What took me so long? ;)

A: Pours a crystal-clear gold body with ample carbonation rising to support an inch of frothy white foam. Mediocre retention, but terrific sticky lace. A few floaties are the only downside. Great looking beer, for the style.

S: Well, it does smell like beer. It's rather sweet, quite grainy, and pretty boring. Reminds me of Cristal, a bland but drinkable Belgian Pilsner. For the style, I'm actually rather impressed by its intensity.

T: Follows the nose completely, providing only the single note of generic grainy sweetness on the way to a watery finish. I'm not really enjoying it, but it is clean and free of obvious flaws.

M: Light, soft, and lively. Perhaps a bit too bubbly, but it's never prickly in the least. Quite pleasant.

O: I really thought I would hate this beer, and I don't. It's bland and forgettable, but I wouldn't expect anything else from the style. It tastes just like a generic Euro lager, and a better-brewed one than many. I'm actually quite impressed, even though I have absolutely no desire ever to drink it again.

Cheers!

Oct 16, 2011
3.26/5  rDev +19.4%
by crossovert from Illinois

Gerstel

11.2 oz brown bottle. Brewed by Eichbaum.Best by 14. 02. 2011. I have only had BITburger Drive as far as NAs go.

It pours a pale gold with carbonation bubble racing to the top and a white head that leaves a bit of lacing. It looks alright at least.

THe smell is a bit skunky wiht mostly a syrupy malt note and a slight touch of hops.

The taste isn't bad, it is graham-cracker-y, with a malt forward taste and a slight hop bitterness. Judging by the horror stories surrounding NA beers and the fact that BITburger Drive was atrocious, this might be one of the best NAs out there.

It was only a buck, so I guess if for some reason I need it, this is what I would grab.

May 24, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
by HalfFull from California

From a 330 ml. bottle into a pint glass, the Gerstel pours a deep straw with a thin white head. Head settles to a surface film and maintains that for quite a while and offering some light lacing.

Aroma of raw grain with a touch of sweetness and a light hop presence. Taste is light and easy with a touch of honey citrus giving a decent finish. Bit grainy in texture and offers a slight bitterness.

Pretty easy drinking for the style, offering just enough body to keep things interesting and nothing to detract. Carbonation does empty pretty quickly however, lending almost tea like qualities to the bottom of the glass.

Aug 21, 2009
2.76/5  rDev +1.1%
by biboergosum from Canada (AB)

A friend of mine, while recently pregnant, and lamenting her inability to have a beer once in a while, as her man and I regularly tore through the shelves at Sherbrooke (sensitive, I know), surprised me one day. I walked into the room, and there she was, in the motherly way, sipping on a bottle of beer. Before I could ask the obvious question, she pointed out that it was Czech low alcohol beer, and that it was pretty good. Since all I've ever seen for this kind of 'beer', is the usual O'Douls in Safeway, she pointed me to the local Italian grocery store. I was curious, so the next time as I was getting my fix of carne e formaggi, I noticed quite the selection of NA beers. No Czech offerings at that time unfortunately, but a slew of German ones, and for $1.50 a pop (no pun intended), I thought what the hell...

This beer pours a crystal-clear pale straw colour, with lots and lots of puffy white head, that melts away quickly, leaving decent webbed lace around the glass. It smells of white cracker grain, cooked veggies, and slightly skunky, noble hops. The taste is sour bready malt, the raw, uncooked kind, soggy cornflakes, and some earthy, vegetal hop essence. There is virtually no carbonation, the body is smooth, moderately weighted, and it finishes off-dry, that wet saltine cracker graininess persisting.

While this has the flavours of an average Euro-lager, the body characteristics are weirdly skewed. I know it's easy for me to say this now, but it doesn't really seem worth the trade-off.

Oh, and I see that I'm continuing my run of ironic milestone reviews. Number 100 was Corona Light, now 300 is an alcohol-free beer.

Jul 26, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -5.5%
by daliandragon from Maryland

This is the second NA brew I've ever had in my life, the first being a feeble attempt to buy my Dad a beer at a Hungarian soccer match, but only Dreher NA was available due to the unfortunate tendency of the fans in that stadium to, you know, riot and stuff. I remember the "beer" being among the worst I've ever had. Let's see how my memory is.

This is Gerstel. It pours a pale golden with zero head and only a few tiny bubbles for a cap. The nose is extremely grainy and grassy with hints of skunk. The taste is likewise heavy on the wispy, grainy, malt flavors, with reasonable hop bitterness and some nasty artificial sweetener at the end. Mouthfeel is better than expected, with moderate carbonation and a mellow texture and smoothness.

If I was forced to drink this, I wouldn't be contemplating suicide. Is that a compliment? It'll have to do.

Aug 14, 2008
2.51/5  rDev -8.1%
by malcontent from Illinois

I've always wondered about NA's, never having had one myself, and wouldn't you know someone just gave me one. Time to review.

Pale straw color with a fairly impressive head. Spotty lacing shows up after a short while.

Smells of spoiled grain having turned slightly sour. Oddly, there are pleasant notes of tea with honey in the back of the nose. Weird.

Whew! There's the honey again! It's very sweet in a not so bad kind of way. It doesn't taste a ton like beer but it isn't totally devoid of beer-like qualities. There is some bitter European hop presence throughout with a touch of malt on the finish.

This is the one area where the beer is fairly successful combining compotent carbonation without going fizzy and finishing somewhat thick in the mouth. This would be for the designated driver who really needs to feel like they're drinking with the crowd. Not very good but actually better than a number of mass-produced beers I've tried. Glad I've at least tried a non-alcoholic though.

Feb 27, 2007
3.07/5  rDev +12.5%
by shererjt from Texas

Poured a deep, clear straw color with light-to-moderate carbonation and a beige head. Aroma was really, really malty--Oktoberfest-like with a lot of Munich to it. Maybe a little too sweet smelling, and I *love* Oktoberfests. Body was medium. Nice flavor; big on malt but a bit over-the-top in terms of sweetness. Probably the best mouthfeel I've experienced in an NA. The excessive sweetness hurts the drinkability a bit I think.

Quite nice. A little wort-y for me ideally, but pretty close to real beer in terms of aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel.

Apr 08, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +11%
by Pegasus from Texas

Appearance: Plesant, clear golden lager color, with a large snow-white head, and modest carbonation. Excellent broken lacing, lots of patches of foam cluster on the glass walls.

Aroma: Very sweet caramel aroma, almost like Crackerjacks, there is a faint herbal hoppiness as well, but it is subtle.

Taste: Sweet caramel at the opening of the taste, midway through the sweetness is cut by a mild bitterness that turns more intense and metallic towards the end of the taste. Not unpleasant, but home brewers will find it to be very much like unfermented wort.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, pleasant, and fairly full, with a bit of stinging carbonation up front.

Drinkability/notes: As non-alcoholic beers go, it isn't bad, but its certainly no substitute for even a mediocre beer. That being said, its a healthier beverage choice than a sugared soda. It is best consumed quite cold.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce brown glass twistoff. Served in a standard pint tap glass.

Feb 06, 2005
2.91/5  rDev +6.6%
by kbub6f from New York

The biggish, foamy head is active, but not too fast. Creamy-whitish. The beer is a clear gold, hinting at being deep. Lots of spots of lacing. The aroma is very sweet: sugary corn. Man, that's some sweet corn. It carries over to the dusty front. The middle shows some caramel, but there's a chemical distraction. Finish is fairly bitter, never losing the sweet corn. This is an ok NA. The bitterness at the end is pleasant. Second tier.

Jan 19, 2005
2.38/5  rDev -12.8%
by Reidrover from Oregon

OK was feeling brave tonight when i bought this at Trader Joes.
Its actually not a bad lager(like) to look at , deep golden with a bubbly pure white head.
Smell is very grainy, bready..touch of hops.
Taste ius mainly of the doughy malts,slight hint of hoppy grassiness..
I started of liking the mouthfeel on this but after the second mouthful I got a sickly sweet stickiness in the back of my mouth.
I wouldnt want to drink more than one of these..though its not truelly horrid.

Sep 11, 2004
3.94/5  rDev +44.3%
by Zorro from California

Pours a clear yellow brew.

Smell is big and full grain smell lots of toasted grain and some malt and a slight sourness. Smells strongly like a trisket!

Taste is a bit sweet and grainy in a good way. Fairly substantial bitterness to this one, that may put some off but I like a beer that has a bite.

Mouthfeel is quite good for a NA brew.

Really drinkable, the best NA brew I have yet tasted.

Aug 03, 2004
2.75/5  rDev +0.7%
by NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

A crystal-clear, deep-gold body is topped by a good-sized head of creamy bright-white foam that holds quite well and leaves splotchy lace about the glass. Standard-sized bubbles race towards the surface, obviously adding to its retention. A distinctly grainy malt greets you in the nose along with some skunky hops despite the brown glass bottle. The body is medium and its median level carbonation leaves it crisp on the tongue. The same rich, grainy malt appears in the flavor, although it tastes a bit cooked. It's worty, and similar to liquid extract malt. Some floral and spicy hops come through the malt, and it's backed by a bold bitterness. It finishes dry with just a thin layer of residual sticky malt. Served well chilled it passes as a fair substitue for a quality German pilsner. As it warms and the true flavor of the malt becomes more apparent, however, it loses some of its refreshing character and becomes a bit cloying.

Mar 22, 2004