Ettaler Curator Dunkler Doppelbock (US Import Version) | Klosterbrauerei Ettal / Ettaler Klosterbetriebe GmbH

Ettaler Curator Dunkler Doppelbock (US Import Version)Ettaler Curator Dunkler Doppelbock (US Import Version)
3.91/5

Added by Bierman9 on 01-12-2006

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%

2.37/5  rDev -39.4%

Strangest taste I have ever experienced in a beer. I poured this one down the drain after a half glass.
Appearance:Deep reddish brown, Tan head that dissipated very quickly. No lacing.
Smell: Strong sweet caramel malt. Very nice.
Taste: Malt, but with a strong taste of fish oil. Yes, fish oil. Salty, funky, not pleasant. I managed to get through half the bottle before the taste got to be too much.
Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated.
Drinkability: Yuck!

2.46/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

*did not like would buy to soak burger meat in*

app: dark dark garnet, dark and luxurious evil look. small to no head, lil eggshell suds.

smell: dark fruits, brown sugar molasses mix with some produce, smells sweet and thick, no hops.

taste: soy earthy sour brown dark flavor, offensive.. should be labeled as a marinade not a drink. hard to place. good flavors, like a thick sweet marinade, but not a basting sauce. to much of what it is with no balance.

mf: to thick sweet and coating.

drinkable?: nope, it could be so good.. if it was cut or cooked.

2.51/5  rDev -35.8%

I like doppelbocks. I like Celebrator and Maximator a lot. Sam Adams is pretty good. I like Korbinian well enough. Spaten, one or two others. The style seems like a nice one. But this one tasted like balsamic vinegar mixed with something sweet. So did the Samichlaus doppelbock I tried after that to a somewhat lesser extent. Both were sour and vinegary. Do not like. Couldn't get through a 4 oz taster. I wonder what makes these two come out like this.

2.64/5  rDev -32.5%

1 pint, 9 fluid ounce brown bottle without freshness dating. Poured clear mahogany with no head or lace whatsoever. Sugary molasses, caramel, a touch of burnt toast, clove, and alcohol in the nose. Very clean, but nearly empty of flavor; slightly sweet syrupy malts up front with hot fusel alcohol finish. Almost still oily and syrupy body. Not a beer I'll revisit. The aroma is OK, but the flavor is almost entirely missing apart from the over-strong alcohol.

2.7/5  rDev -30.9%

Wine Expo, Santa Monica purchase. Brown 16.9oz bottle poured into a barleywine glass. I poured it aggressive and got a 2 finger Mcgill followed by average lace.

For a dopplebock its too laid back. Dark fruits are evident but very subtle and without much depth. Watery comes to mind. Mild woody backdrop. Alcohol is a large factor. Not for me.

Notes: This doesn't stack up against most dopples I've had in my time. I feel that I'm being generous giving it a 3 range but the lack of anything offensive it has to be at least decent.

2.85/5  rDev -27.1%

This beer was almost completely flat. I don't know if I had a bad bottle or water, but this was like drinking beer-flavored water. Good beer-flavored water, far as I could tell.

2.88/5  rDev -26.3%

[2.99 for a .5L at downtown wine and spirits]
I didn't recognize the name, so I went for a wild card.

Clear plum. Nice head is partially creamy and partially fizzy. Great retention! Very Belgian in the nose, with yeast products dominating - some fusels, apple, phenolic pepper. A little brown sugar, black berries, and wood, but overall very lacking in malty aroma expected from a doppelbock. Flavor is a lot less complex than I would expect from a 9% doppelbock - where is the malt complexity? Like dirty maple syrup, a bit of roast, and a decent hop bite to balance things. Feels thick and chewy.

Overall this beer is respectable, though on the boring side. Malt flavors are lacking and the fermentation flavors could be tamed a bit more. The bitterness was pretty cool, but was not enough to make me want to import this one again.

2.97/5  rDev -24%

Appearance: Literally no head. There are a few bubbles on the surface but nothing that would serve as a head. The body is a dark mahogany brown with hints of red.

Aroma: Light buttery caramel and a touch of alcohol. Light aroma of roasted grains.

Taste: Sweet malt flavor with a bit of toasted caramel.

Mouthfeel: Not enough carbonation in this; it feels completely flat. The body is on the heavier side of medium and while it does have a dextrinous feel it is not thick or syrupy.

Overall: As an overall experience it borders on the lower side of average. While the flavors are nice the beer has this flat carbonation that kills the drinking experience. The only way I would buy it again is if I could see somebody pour it first to verify that it is carbonated. It's not a beer I would recommend, as it did not feel like a complete beer.

3.01/5  rDev -23%

A: Pours a medium to dark brown with barely any head whatsoever. The thin layer present leaves only a trace of lacing.

S: Roasted Munich malts and noble hops. The hops, very German in their scent, are more forward than I've typically experienced with bocks.

T: Quite average, almost bland. There is little of the maltiness up front that one expects from a bock. The finish has nice noble hop character, but seems almost more like a run of the mill Dunkel or even a good Pilsner rather than a bock or a doppelbock.

M: This is by far the thinnest doppelbock I've ever had. It's too thin even for a plain bock. The low carbonation gives this the mouthfeel of a Coke that's been sitting out too long.

D: Could hit the spot if you want a Dunkles, but can't otherwise find one.

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

This Doppelbock was a little different than I expected. It poured out like a normal Doppelbock with a really nice deep amber color and yellowish white head. The smell of the beer had some sweet malt aromas and and some subtle hops in the background. The taste was strange to me, it gave off this sour flavor for some reason. Perhaps a bad bottle but I'm unsure. The tase I was getting from this brew kind of hindered my thoughts of what started out as a good looking brew. The mouthfeel was medium and had a light carbonation to it. If it wasn't for the taste I would have enjoyed this much more. Perhaps having it again would be a good choice.

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

Served in at bottle at 42 deg F.

Appearance: Poured into a hefe glass. Dark mahogony color. Absolutely no head, despite an attempt to create one with an aggressive pouring technique. No bubbles or lace appeared during the drink.

Smell: As others have noted, a very fruity, raisiny smell, but I sense a very malty nose as well. Definite presence of alcohol in the aroma.

Taste: Very cloying. However after the sugar overload wears off, there is a rather pleasant malty aftertaste. Alcohol is also rather dominating.

Mouthfeel: This beer excels in this category. It is a thick, robust beer, and asserts itself well here. Alcohol provides a gentle warming sensation.

Overall: Comparing my review to others, it appears I got a stale version. There simply was no carbonation whatsoever. I wouldn't go out of my way to find this beer locally, but wouldn't turn one down if offered. Overall a middle-of-the-road Doppelbock. I've had worse, but as most others would probably attest, I'd prefer a Salvator over this one. If I can find this beer in-country, I'll post a comparison review.

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle picked up at Chevy Chase in DC. Served in a Captain Lawrence tulip.

Pours a moderate brown color that is pretty transparent. Thin tan head forms and then falls away very quickly. The nose has a bit of chocolate and mild malt sweetness. Pretty plain. Mild dark fruits in the background. The flavor is really plain and the mouthfeel is fairly watery for a beer of this style and strength. Mild malt sweetness and a touch of caramel. Really bland and disappointing. Moderate carbonation on a too-light body. Not a very good example of the style.

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

A-Deep mahogany brown with a decent 1/2 finger light tan head.

S-Dark fruity smell with some malts, don't pick up any hops

T-Raisins and ripe fruits. Nice malt flavor.

M-Sweet and Malty with a alcohol burn in the throat once it warms up.

O-A decent doppelbock a little too much sweetness up front for me but overall not bad for the price, I got it from a friend for free. Not something I would search out in the future.

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

500ml bottle into Sierra Nevada tumbler,

Dark ruby/brown with a tiny beige head; both are to style. Smell is very sweet with some bready/grainy notes barely coming past the sweet. Tastes like sweet liquid bread, one of the maltiest beers I have ever had. This one is so sweet that it approaches cloying, wayyy too sweet. There are some light liquorice notes and delicate hops but a late taste of overripe fruit kills this. The sweetness and relatively low carbs almost give the beer a syrupy consistency.

Way too sweet, though it does avoid the other main pitfall of doppelbocks, the dreaded soy sauce taste. Not something I would get again, Spaten and Paulaner make a better doppel.

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

A-Deep russet brown body with ruby highlights. Beige head quickly disappeared.

S-Hints of brown sugar, dark fruit, raisins and cinnamon.

T-Sweet molasses and chocolate. Tastes of unfermented malts.

M-A bit chalky throughout. Dry finish with bittersweet chocolate on the tongue.

D-A bit unbalanced for me. Not my favorite dopplebock. I personally like a bit more body and rounded sweetness.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

chasmically dark garnet with a short head.

grainy, (munich malt) raisin flavor. the dried fruit element is a little strong for me, actaully. the horse seems to be pretty well dead. i would like more complexity, with some tasty bready or nutty flavors

alas, i am stuck with uberraisin juice. the aroma is a little more dynamic

Ettaler Curator Dunkler Doppelbock (US Import Version) from Klosterbrauerei Ettal / Ettaler Klosterbetriebe GmbH