Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hefeweizen | Chama River Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by Wolfsdenbrew on 05-01-2006

Reviews by chileman13:
3.22/5  rDev -3%

A- straw yellow unfiltered with 1/2" white head.
A- banana and vanilla top note with light floral hops.
T- I don't want to say a Hefe is a Hefe because I've had some really great ones. This was just ok. If it tasted as good as it smelled....
D- It wasn't bad but I'll try something different next time.

3.55/5  rDev +6.9%

I had this on tap at the Chama River in Albuquerque. It's a 5.3% ABV hefeweizen. It poured very cloudy and golden-red in color, unfiltered. It was very aromatic with a bitter/acidic smell, but not overwhelming. The taste was pretty much the same - it wasn't too bitter or chunky as you can sometimes get with hefs. I found it very drinkable for a hefeweizen which is not typically my beer preference.

4.32/5  rDev +30.1%

Poured a hazy, unfiltered golden-yellow with a big bright white head. This beer had lingering lace from start to finish. Tiny, effervescent bubbles rained upwards again from start to finish.

Aroma was filled with fresh banana, clove and pepper.

taste was sweet, malty, spicy(pepper) with a generous hop bite

Body was light to medium, with tons of carbonation.

I have not been a huge fan of the style but I am slowly converting. The best hefe I have ever tasted.

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hefeweizen from Chama River Brewing Company