Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale | Three Heads Brewing

Three Heads Brewing
New York, United States
threeheadsbrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

We love hops! Their tantalizing aromas. Their diverse and succulent flavors of citrus and spice. All the amazing ways they can be used in brewing. 3HB dedicates the Loopy to our favorite plant, the Humulus Lupulus. Enjoy the waves of tropical fruit intertwined delightfully with a creamy, velvety malt blend. Come get Loopy with us! 64 IBUs.

Added by John on 01-10-2012

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.46/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque copper colored body topped by a creamy khaki head. Excellent head retention and lacing.
S: Caramel, oatmeal grain & floral nose.
T: Bread, oatmeal flavors end with a nice hoppy bitterness.
M: Smooth, creamy and balanced brew. Very drinkable.
O: A quite enjoyable beer that is equal parts hops and malt.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured out a clear, orange color with ruby highlights and a small head of foam. Aroma was fruity and malty with a dose of caramel toastiness. Fruity and malty with caramel, toffee and bread crust. Mild bitter bite. It was crisp and sharp.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

$3 single. I didn't care for their Rochestaferian, but got this one at the same time I bought that one. Hopefully this one is better.

Appearance: Slowest pour ever, and I got a head that wouldn't quit. I wound up losing about 3 ounces of beer due to an insane amount of foam on this beer. I had to scoop it out with a spoon. Ridiculous. It looks good otherwise -- hazy orange/brown color with an insane amount of carbonation and a few floaters.

Smell: Smells exactly like a beer I've had before, but I can't remember just which one. I think it was one by Sierra Nevada. Really earthy and spicy sort of aroma on this with citrus undertones.

Taste/feel: I'm wondering why I'm reviewing this beer, as I feel like it's pretty obvious this beer had some issues during fermentation. Incredibly prickly carbonation at first with a bit of heft, which is alright. Then there's a weird copper sort of bitterness vibe with the super drying hop flavor that certainly has to be off... I'm not experiencing what other reviewers are. The carbonation is like a pop, the bitterness is, again, metallic or something along those lines (not a pleasant bitterness), and it lingers and lingers. The flavor I'm getting aside from that is pretty decent with the "red" flavors and earthy hops... it tastes like the smell, but the carbonation is out of control, but the harsh bitterness and occasional "off" sips makes this one that's evidently infected.

I hope I can get another non-infected bottle to try soon, because I don't like reviewing beers that are obviously infected, but I like to keep note. In spite of the infection, it tastes better than a number of beers I've had before... isn't that sad?

3.66/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 7venth Sun Brewery snifter from a growler purchased about 48 hours ago in Georgia at Lazy Dog Growler. Pours a clear dark brown/dark amber color with some lacing and residual head. Malty aroma with almost a rye scent. Sweet with a bitter finish. Great body in the taste, likely due to the oatmeal. Overall this is a good beer and an easy drinker. I would certainly revisit this one!

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%

Three Heads Brewing Loopy
Poured this into a Sam Adams pint glass. The body has a deep rusty, almost burgundy cloudy hue, topped off with a beige creamy head that sinks down but never leaves.
The aroma is hard to nail down. I'm picking up a lot of malty sweetness along with a earthy floral down in the dirt rotting fruit under the tree wiff.
The taste is sweet and malty. I do pick up on the oatmeal and it works real well in this brew. There is a citrus bitterness at the tail end that complements everything real well.
The mouthfeel is medium.
Overall a great brew. The oats work in this real well, and I hope more brewers pick up on this.

Loopy Oatmeal Red Ale from Three Heads Brewing