Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by mjtiernan on 03-08-2013

Reviews by Stinkypuss:
3.44/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Appears a medium brown color, slight off white head and a plethora of webbed lacing going down the length of the pint. There is a chill haze on the brew, interrupting what would be fine clarity. This wee heavy pours sediment free.

SMELL: Brown sugar, caramel, and floral hops. The nose is kind of light.

TASTE: Fully malty, with nutty and caramelized flavors. Hops chime in with a small earth, citrus oil, and pine note. There is a fine balance of hoppy bitterness and almost robust malt sweetness. Just a touch of dry cocoa in the finish. No hint of booze.

FEEL: Medium bodied, medium/low carbonation, fairly smooth on the palate. Not as in-your-face as some scotch ales, and by no means is this super sugary or over sweet.

OVERALL: Closer to an American Brown Ale than the great malt bombs of Scotland, this is an enjoyable, easy drinking beverage. I love me some hops, but this could have used a bit smokier, drier malt to give it that trademark flavor profile of a scotch ale. This is still well worth drinking, as the pint was gone in about 10 minutes.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

3.41/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #79 (Aug 2013):

Not half bad. We expect a bit more depth here with it being a Wee Heavy; all but the maltiness stays pretty simple. Still put together well and balanced for the style, just does not have that wow factor.

STYLE: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy
ABV: 7.0%
AVAILABILITY: Rotating

LOOK: Deep reddish hue, decent froth

SMELL: Loaf of bread, fresh graininess, herbal, spicy, hint of alcohol, pears, very malty

TASTE: Slight smoothness; creamy, full-ish body; malt forward, balancing hop bitterness, toasted bread crust, faint herbal tone; clean, alcoholic warmth; husky, drying finish

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a nonic pint

A: Copper color body with an attractive off-white head.

S: Some grain, nut, bread and honey sweetness. Dose of grassy hops.

T: Fairly delicate at first, then some malty sweetness, grassy/floral hops and very light toast. Finishes somewhat sharp and alcoholic.

M: Light and watery feel. Not my preference for this style. Carbonation was soft, which I liked.

O: A nice beer, but I'd like a little bit more depth and richness. I'll re-visit this in the fall when I'm more apt to drink this style of beer.

4.08/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into thistle glass. Deep amber orange with minimal white head that doesn't last. Smells wide and malty, boozy and yeasty. Tastes a little odd compared to others of this style I've had, but sounds spot on to the description...sweet at first, but seems to have a hole in the middle of the flavor. Clean through the middle, with a slightly cloying finish with aftertastes of yeast. Tasty and drinkable though. Mouthfeel is full, alcohol not noticeable in the taste except a slight warming long after swallowing.

3.72/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Undated 12 oz bottle served in a Belgian snifter.

Pours clear with only a thin, fragile head.
Aroma and flavor reflect a Scotch Ale that is a bit mild, light-colored, sweet and caramelized for style. Fruity, with a light hint of smoke coming out at the finish.

Smooth with low carbonation.

O: an easy drinking and enjoyable Scotch Ale that, for style, seems as if it was just a little diluted with a brown ale.

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a darkish brown appearing a bright light ruby when held up to the light. A somewhat mediocre slightly yellowed head that leaves some touches of lacing. Not really much visible carbonation.

S: Oddly enough the first whiff of this reminds me of pineapple upside-down cake. Must be the citrus like hop aroma blending with the carmely malts. A dark fermented fruit comes through as well.

T: Has a nice serious malt bill on this brew but it is well crafted and not overwhelming. Remains true to the Scotch Ale style. Malt forward with a blend of carmel sweetness and breadiness. Hops do come through but take a backseat.

M: For the style this one is fairly light on the palate. Good carbonation. Not as sticky as some other scotch ales just a touch. Booze is well hidden.

Overall love the name and the artwork of this beer/bottle. Has a serious malting that provides a rich complexity. Pick one of them up if your into maltier brews.

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bill says..."Hmmmmm...I don't remember"

3.66/5  rDev +5.8%

Bought this in a Wegmans craft pack, otherwise I would have been too deterred by the price to take the risk to try. Beautiful dark red color. Not much head with barren lacing. From some of the reviews I read about this, I was expecting something watery and bland. I was pleasantly surprised. Smell isn't very strong. My wife said it smells like rabbit food. Definitely has the caramel malty taste I look for when choosing my brews. Has a bit of an earthy aroma to it. Alcohol content is very well masked. Smooth taste but could use a little more carbonation, if I'm being picky. This is my first Wee Heavy and again from what I've read, I'm not going to let it define the style for me. However, not a bad introduction. I would get this one again.

3.08/5  rDev -11%

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

3.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle purchased at the East Ave Wegmans.

Pours a clear medium amber, with a one inch head, and some good lacing down the glass.

Smells a bit weak, some brown sugar, caramel, and other malt flavors.

The taste is a bit light too. One of the more watery Scotch Ales I've had. Some light toffee and caramel, a little bit of chocolate. Not much going on here, this needs to be beefed up quite a bit.

Light bodied, slightly watery mouthfeel. Low carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

A bit of a miss from one of my favorite local breweries. The label on this is really cool, unfortunately, what's inside is kinda weak.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.25/5  rDev -35%

My friend brought over a bottle of Three Heads Brewing's Rochestafarian to share with me, I've never had anything from Three Heads Brewing before and I'm interested to see how this Wee Heavy turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label isn't bad looking, but I think it's a little cheesy and it doesn't really stick out. It poured a cloudy amber color that took on more of a copper color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and it looked pretty typical for the style.

S- The aroma starts of with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a funky yeast aroma being the first to show up and it imparts an aroma that reminds me a little of a Farmhouse Ale. Up next comes some grainy, bready, stale malts, sweet malts, and caramel malt aromas with the caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a fruity aroma that is more of just a generic fruity aroma then a dark fruit aroma and there's a lighter alcohol aroma. The aroma wasn't good, it wasn't very Wee Heavy like and the funky yeast aromas really threw me off.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart all the malty aspects that they did in the aroma with the caramel malts still seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a couple weird flavors that I can't put my finger on and they don't seem to fit into this style, the only thing I can somewhat Identify is a weird slightly smokey flavor. On the finish there's a light alcohol flavor with a slight fruity flavor and a medium amount of bitterness with a malty and weird smokey aftertaste. This beer didn't taste like a good Wee Heavy and the taste just left me confused.

M- Not that smooth, not clean, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it was still a little weird and it could be smoother.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and I thought it was a pretty bad example of a Wee Heavy, there would be no way I would guess this was intended to be a Wee Heavy, it tastes more like someones first home brew that they added weird random ingredients to an Amber Ale base. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth, it was slightly filling and the taste did not do a good job at holding my attention, half the bottle was way too much for me and it became a chore to finish the last of it. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad and it was the most Wee Heavy like aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how off it was for the style, it's just not recognizable as a Wee Heavy. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's just not something I enjoyed and I would never recommend it as a goof Wee Heavy. All in all I was not a fan of this beer,it just had way too many things wrong with it and I don't know how a Brewer could taste this and think he made a good Wee Heavy. This made for a bad first impression for Three Heads Brewing, I don't think I will be going out of my way too try any of their other beers anytime soon. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

Rochestafarian Wee Heavy Ale from Three Heads Brewing