Waterloo | Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by mwgroove23:
4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

2.07/5  rDev -40.3%

I'm still wondering whether I was served a defective batch of this beer! I've loved every other Black Star beer I've tried, and was surprised and disappointed by this one. I actually had to return it for the Vulcan (delicious) because I couldn't handle more than a few sips.

The not-so-bad: The beer looked lovely, with a nice yellow hazy color like a hefeweizen and a thin bright white head. It also had good body, a very spritzy character that WOULD have been refreshing in a beer with better flavor.

The main problem was the smell. Whew! I smelled brettanomyces, and not in a good way. My companion likened it to "pure gym locker" and I agreed. I wondered how they could call a beer "refreshing" when it had such a stank untempered by other, better, smells. And the taste of this beer wasn't much better. I was looking to detect the peaches (of which there are apparently hundreds of lbs per batch), but couldn't taste anything like fresh stonefruit. The sour character of the beer was not the pleasant sourness of a Flemish ale, nor was it the bright cirtusy tartness that a lemony hefeweizen sometimes has. My immediate impression was, "this beer has gone bad," and after a couple more sips I returned it.

The barman didn't seem to think that the beer was off, so I guess this is how it's supposed to taste? I really, really hate to rag on Black Star, because aside from this beer I've always loved their house brews, but Waterloo is a real miss.

On tap at the brewpub.

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma has a lot of wheat, as well as some light lemon notes. The flavor is similar. I get a lot of tart lemon notes, as well as some wheat and a little bit of sourness. Very refreshing. Thin to medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev +7.8%

Went to Black Star tonight with some of the slight free time I have these days. In addition to a pint of this, I got some bacon toffee for the first time... mmm... and I got a Texas sampler of a few ABW beers, the Circle Hop Bock and the Real Ale 15th. Also picked up an Independence Gold Deluxe (too sweet). This was either my favorite of the night or second favorite next to the 15th. Definitely an interesting beer. Served in a globe glass.

The looks are mediocre. Hazy yellow with some head that recedes quickly and leaves some lacing. Take it or leave it.

The nose is waaay funkier than I would have expected. Brett > lacto. Hello funk. My roommate describes it as shoulder pit. I say funk. Either way, it's unmistakable and intentional.

The taste is also quite funky. WTB tart, thanks. Not what I want from a low alcohol sour, but still distinct and enjoyable. Has some tart elements, but they come late. No discernible peach.

I think they could have done more with the peach and lacto, but this was ok for a Brett funk. Would have expected more in some regards and less in others.. Not quite up to the A range yet.

EDIT: Evidently this isn't a Berliner. My bad. Certainly makes the beer make a lot more sense. Still could use some tart Berliner notes :).

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

4.39/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

3.84/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

3.92/5  rDev +13%

3.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed from notes taken Spring 2015.

On-draught at Black Star Co-op.

HEAD: Pours a meagre quarter finger's worth of height. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. White in colour but murky and lacking in vibrance. Retention is poor - ~30 seconds.

BODY: Hazy milky orange. Dull and dead. Neither vibrant nor appealing. Clean, lacking any visible yeast/lees within; I assume it's filtered.

AROMA: Wheat. Tart peach. Light sourness.

The seeming juiciness of the peach is a highlight.

I detect no overt yeasty notes, off-notes, or booze.

A light muted aroma but a pleasant one.

TASTE: Tart juicy peach. Timid sourness. Fresh wheat provides the malt backbone.

The peach is fantastic, but not as expressive as would be ideal.

Very well-balanced albeit simplistic. It's well-built for the style but comes off timid lacking flavour intensity and suffering from a brief flavour duration. I like the subtlety of its bacterial flavours.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, tart, lightly lactic, not too acidic, refreshing, and light-bodied. Juicy.

Complements the taste rather well.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

OVERALL: I could down this all night. It's a solid Berliner weiss from Black Star and is well worth trying. Incredibly drinkable tasty stuff, but not without room for improvement.

B (3.61) / GOOD