Cucumber Kolsch | Flat 12 Bierwerks

flat12.me

Style: Kölsch

Availability: Summer

Added by BTFU on 06-01-2013

I personally love Cucumber Kolsch. Its one of the most crisp and refreshing beers in the summer.

4.29/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What do people honestly expect with a drawing of a cucumber on a green label?

Pale pastel gold, wispy skim across the surface, plenty of drippy lace all around the glass.

Awesome cucumber smell and taste. Nose is a little more mild, but the unmistakeable fresh garden aroma is there. Earthy and green smell of fresh sliced cucumber.

Taste is earthy and green also, fresh cucumber slices and some light traces of Kölsch yeast fruitiness. The Kölsch is complimented well by the vegetable addition, it's uncanny how well it dovetails together. Light and fresh feel with ample body and carbonation.

Very refreshing and tasty, much like their Karousel Kolsch. Pairs perfectly with warm weather and a charcuterie or cheese plate.

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

4.23/5  rDev +24%

Only the second cucumber beer I have had behind Cigar City's effort, I definitely prefer this one. From the bottle, the beer pours a golden yellow color with a soft white head. The nose on this one is amazing. A huge dose of summery cucumber dominates. If you have ever had a slice of cucumber in a glass of water at a fancy restaurant, you know how deceivingly potent cucumber can be. In the initial taste, the kolsch is sweet at the front. The carbonation quickly brushes away the sweetness before tart cucumber skin begins to dominate. Notes of sourness and wheat hide in the background. The one negative is that the cucumber may run a little too tart. Overall, this is a great for a hot summer day. It poses an interesting twist on a style that is growing on me.

4.18/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this at the brewery, and enjoyed it enough to split a sixer with my brother.

A: Gold and crystal clear. This is the first beer I've had in awhile that, on looking at the glass, I can see through to the other side.

A: Cucumber, cucumber, cucumber. I'm a fan of cucumber, but it really takes a moment to digest the fact that this is a beer. As it's said though, "Beer is food."

T: The sweetness and slight saltiness of cucumber is immediately apparent. It fades to a light, fruity hop presence (lime peel?) that sits on the back and sides of the tongue.

M: Like cucumber, light and crisp. The carbonation accents the hop spice that occurs towards the end. The finish itself is slightly dry, but very smooth. The flavor and profile match nicely.

O: I'd add it to my list of favorite summer beers, but I admit it has a taste that'll likely split its target audience. If nothing else, I'd recommend trying it for the novelty.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Gifted from a friend who stops at Trader Joe's in Indy for me every time he goes. 12oz bottle with simple label makes you wonder what is coming. Cucumber? I don't know 'bout this, man. Nice looking - like a Kolsch, but with a little bit of haze and topped with an inch of white foam. Lacing is very nice - I can see most of my sips. This thing smells strange - honeydew melon and cut grass. Flavor is where this thing gets rolling - sweet melon and cucumber cut with dry crisp hops and rising white bread dough. Nice! Crisp dry finish like a Kolsch should have. Next time I need 12 of these. Going by the reviews you either love it or hate it. I'm a lover.

3.99/5  rDev +17%

I’ve seen fruit/vegetable beers, but never would have dreamed cucumber would make it into a bottle; but I really like this brewery (even though it may be hometown bias), so I’m still hopeful for this one.

A: Body is crystal-clear, pale yellow with an enormous amount of fizz – there are bubbles everywhere. The bright white head that appears is thin and fizzy, but remains at a half-inch for the duration, supported by the rising carbonation.

S: A mellow, inviting cucumber aroma makes up the majority of the nose; smells like you’re walking into a sandwich shop. Totally light in character, what’s left is a clean lager scent of white bread and soft grain husk and some floral hops, which add notes of strawberry and mint. Summer in a glass.

T: Focusing on mild cucumber and fruity hop tones, this palate is as crisp and refreshing as a lightly-dressed salad. Berry tastes, juicy and light, take precedent over a more raw herbal pepper kick, giving this a hop character that’s more sweet than bitter. Finishes like raw greens, leafy and a tad sweet, but with an unmistakable crispness.

M: Carbonation is very soft, barely there save for a bit of sizzle across the tongue as it goes down. Light, light body, but that goes well with cucumber – a refreshing, watery fruit.

O: This beer is great in two ways: it’s easy to get intrigued by, and even easier to enjoy. The flavors represented here are almost never taken advantage of in beer, and in brewing, you always get points for originality – as long as the end product is tasty, that is.

3.93/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

I picked up this beer because when I traveled to Germany I stayed in Cologne, also know as Köln. So Kölsch is the style of beer brewed there, drawing interested to me with this specific beer. This style of beer has grown to be one of my favorite due to it's drinkability, and medium body. It looked interesting so I had to pick it up. Overall I liked it. My only problem was I couldn't drink too much of it because the cucumber was overwhelming after about 3-4 beers. But overall it was a good beer that is definitely worth a shot if your looking for something different. One or two beers at a time with this one, I suggest so you can truly appreciate the uniqueness of it.

3.84/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A nice vibrant gold body with a small, but decent head.

S - The smell of fresh cucumbers definitely stands out with a pilsener-type malt undertone.

T & M - It is amazingly smooth and easy to drink for such a uniquely flavored beer.

O - I was a little hesitant when I first got this, but it was a pleasant surprise. It's nice when stepping outside of your comfort zone gets rewarded.

3.76/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A : Golden straw colour with a slight haze, poured with a thin bright white head, slight lacing

S: Strong malt odor with a significant dose of fruity cucumber

T: Light bitterness with a slight hoppy note, traces of cucumber on the finish

M: Thin and light, light carbonation, bubbles mostly gone by end of the pint

O: A good beer for the more adventurous beer drinker. Heavier cucumber on the nose than on the palate, but enough to earn its name. I would drink it again, but at $12, probably wouldn't buy another six pack. Worth a try if you like unique beers.

3.75/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very light golden, with excellent white foam and thick, Swiss-cheese-like lace.

Nose is light, with a hint of peppery spice somehow. The cucumber is subtle so far.

Taste is a nice balance of herbal cucumber cool and the grainy malts of a typical kolsch. Definitely unusual, but easily a pleasant, enjoyable session brew that I'd have no problem with revisiting. Like.

3.75/5  rDev +10%