Love Belgian Beer?

2.4

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 242
2.9/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours with a bit more color than typical macro lagers. The head is very white but disappears after a few seconds, leaving just wisps on the surface.

There is a bit of hop aroma (Saaz perhaps?) and some sweet malt notes.

The flavor doesn't hold up to the appearance or smell, sadly. It is very light. The flavors aren't bad, they are just too weak.

The body is equally light and watery. The bubbles are nice and fizzy.

I almost would say this is a lawnmower beer, but it doesn't make that cut. There are plenty of beers with more flavor out there. Look elsewhere.

3.13/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours a super clear yellow fizz with a short-lived white head, looks like any American mass-market beer.

Smell is clear and strong whiff of diacetyl. Slightly sour smelling and faint herbal hops aroma.

Taste is sweetish with a fairly stout hopping level for the style. Clear flavors of corn and biscuit noticeable butter flavor, again diacetyl.

Mouthfeel is good; carbonation level is a bit high though.

Drinkability is good, but not great. I don't think I would buy this again. The 6 pack cost me $10 and this is not a $10 a sixer beer.

Bizarre looking bottle and a rare brew apparently, so how did it end up at Albertson’s in Lompoc, California? I suspect UFOs were involved.

Bottle says 4.8 % alc/vol. so maybe this has been reformulated.

2.19/5  rDev -8.8%

I'd never seen this brew in Moscow before, so when I stumbled upon it in the town of Serpukhov some 100 kms away, I bought one to bring back. Oddly curved white glass bottle, like the picture, with only a small red neck label. Naturally, since Saturday, I've seen this everywhere in Moscow. What's being pushed here, of course, never saw the light of a Brazilian day, however: it's contract brewed for Sun-Interbrew by the not-so-good folk at Klinskoye, just outside of Moscow. Oh well. Ingredients conform to the purity law. Best before 10/14/05, I opened it on 5/30/05.

Pours a clear pale gold under a 1.5 finger white head with surprisingly good retention, even mustering a few drops of lace. The head is thin in consistency, but just doesn't see to want to go away. The nose is typical macro: corn, rice, perhaps some stale break, but all not particularly pleasant. The mouth is thin and quite prickly. Taste? Not really. Some corn and/or stale rice, no hops, lots of water. Sure, it's clean. Who wants clean. Next!

2.06/5  rDev -14.2%

When I first read about the merger of Interbrew and Ambev, I couldn't wait to have a taste of the Brazilian beers. Interbrew and Ambev made a (test case) agreement to exchange an equal number of bottles Stella-Artois against Brahma. And distribute them on there home market, being Belgium and Brazil. At the moment you can buy the Brahma beer in Leuven and I have been tasting them a few times now. I didn't write a review after my first bottle because I thought I might have had a bad bottle. But after a few bottles, I have to conclude that This beer is not the beer we over here call beer.
It has a very deep yellowish colour. A bit like piss. It has hardly any taste. I tastes like your average Pilsner but with 50% water. And it has no carbonation. Do I have to tell you that it hardly has any head.
I was happy when I had the chance to taste a beer from a country I might never visit in my lifetime. But now that I had the possibility, I'm not really unhappy about it. The beer might be crap, but now I know this because I had the opportunity to taste it my self. I had the same thing when I first tasted Budweiser. A lot of people had already told me that it was crap. But now that I had a go myself, I know it isn't a very good beer.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last