Brahma | Companhia Cervejaria Brahma

Added by soper2000 on 04-28-2005

Reviews: 105 | Ratings: 244
2.17/5  rDev -9.6%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass may30 2010

A clear pale straw yellow with very little carbonation and no head or lace

S some sweet grains and a touch skunk

T again a little sweet malts with some sour skunky flavor that's not all that nice

M watery but more carbonation then what you could see in the glass

D nothing special going on here, I wouldn't bother if I was you

I don't see myself drinking this again, another beer that would be cheap to make yet costs a lot of money

2.98/5  rDev +24.2%

L - Pours a light, tinted gold with a thin white head, which managed to stay for quite a while.

S - The main smells I got where a floral hops and a slightly metallic smell.

T - The taste was very mellow, I got a bit of smoked fruits and a bit of wheat and hops.

M&D - It felt average in the mouth and went down very easily.

Overall not too bad, I am sure it makes more sense when drinking it in the sun in Rio!

2.21/5  rDev -7.9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pale gold with stark white head that completely recedes.

Smell: Mostly dry (thankfully), light malt and slight spicy hops. Not bad, but wait a minute, where has the smell gone? Completely absent two minutes after pouring.

Taste: Not too much. Slightly sweet, maybe a touch of corn. Also maybe the tiniest touch of hops noticeable at the end. Maybe.

Feel: Highly carbonated (but not as bad as Budweiser), very light.

Drinkability: Easy to quaff but unless you are visiting Brazil, why bother?

Actually, I did drink this on draft in Sao Paulo a few years back. The waitress will automatically refill your glass from the pitcher when empty. They lay an extra coaster down next to your glass to keep track of your refills. They will endlessly refill unless you place a coaster on top of your glass to stop them. It is actually kind of fun, and at only $2 a fill, not too bad. Plus it was the ONLY beer in the bar. Overall, much better experience than just pouring from the bottle in the good ole US of A. Of course, it really didn't taste any better there.

1.9/5  rDev -20.8%

A: This beer pours very light-coloured (remainds me of very light german white wine) with a white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: At first I didn't smell anything but when I really consentrated there was faint floral hops.

T: Some floral hops, some fruit (citrus) and some malt - not much of anything but better than the apperance and smell indicated. Almost no aftertaste.

M: Carbonic acids - small bubbles, and lots of 'em. Otherwise is this a lightbodied beer.

D: This isn't very interesting - you get something that quenches your thirst, but not much else.

3.3/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a clear bottle into a weizen glass. Has a golden color with a small head. Aroma is slightly sweet with hints of corn. Taste was not bad but rather bland. Feels light and watery in the mouth. Drinkability is o.k. Overall a very average beer.

2.38/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

another in a long long list of bbq/lawnmowing beers. you can find better, you can find cheaper, you can find better and cheaper. if i was in south america i would get it again. here there are too many better alternatives.

that being said it is not bad. adjunct. poured golden with good carbonation. decent smell of grains. taste is much the same. nothing to write home about. no lace.

suckem up and movem out.

poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Pale yellow slight head no lacing

S: smells like a lager nothing really stands out too much.

T: very light, watery somewhat crisp.

D: It does remind me of some what Mexican beers in the fact that it is very easy going, feels like you can drink these all day.

F: easy finish.

okay beer, wouldn't go out my way to drink it again. But the bottle was pretty dope.

2.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a straw-gold color with a very thin head into my pint glass. Carbonation seems average.

Aroma is full of corn with a tad bit of bitterness in the nose. Seems par the course.

Taste is watery and thin upfront with corn and a lot of sweetness. Inoffensive. Hops show up but not much to begin with.

Mouthfeel is full of corn, sweetness and typical adjunct flavor. Nothing to behold here.

Inoffensive and nothing more. You can drink it but I'm certainly not impressed by it. It is what it is though.

2.53/5  rDev +5.4%

I remember the launch of this a number of years ago, and the feeling that it was just a thinly-veiled addition to the BMC club, with a Latin marketing edge. Let's see about that.

The bottle is admittedly pretty cool, its contoured swoopiness fits in the hand quite nicely.

This beer pours a clear golden colour, with minimal white head. The smell is mild sweet grain cracker malt. The taste is sweet grassy malt, with an acrid astringency. There is a bit too much carbonation, and it has a dry finish, with a slight skunkiness. A bit better than average for the category, but one is still more than enough.

2.65/5  rDev +10.4%

33 cL bottle.

Aroma and visuals are pretty standard fare for a lager. Slightly more amber perhaps in color.

The taste was a little different than what I expected, there's a malty character unlike most of the other lagers I've had. No citrus tones or anything like that, almost a slight nutty/caramel taste to it. While it's pleasant and surprising at first, it lost my interest less than halfway through the bottle.

I do give it points for originality, but overall it's not a beer I'd go for repeatedly.

3.12/5  rDev +30%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is a half inch white cap which recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is of faint bready malt and hints of caramel. The taste is like the aroma, but a little stronger. The finish is a nice lingering light caramel. The mouthfeel is light bodied with lively carbonation. It is nice that the carbonation isn't so high that is masks the taste the way it does for most beers of this style. Overall, this is a pretty good adjunct lager. I could drink this again.

1.52/5  rDev -36.7%

Sugarwater. Yellow fizzy pour. Smell is cotton candy and corn. Taste is not good. Liquid kettle corn. Can't really put this in a category with Mexican or Central American beers as it is that weak. Doesn't come close to other South American beers, such as Xingu. Very weak.

2.54/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Gloden and lot's of bubbles, even a little head.

S- Smells like grain and cardboard

T- Not much taste at all, watery grain with a metallic aftertaste

M- Watery

D- Easy to drink except it's boring and overpriced. I paid $2 for a bottle but I won't bother buying it again.

2.45/5  rDev +2.1%

I tried this after work tonight since my boss lives and dies by it.

Presentation: Drank from 12oz bottle

Appearance: Besides the cool shaped bottle, theres nothing here to jump out of your chair about. Standard "tint yellow" appearance, little to no head, no lacing, why was I expecting that?

Smell: Your standard macro smell here, nothing pops or stands out here at all, grainy and lemon smell, similar to a Corona

Taste: This beer is as meek as all it's other characteristics, this is basically a more watered down Corona, the taste is bearable but not exciting. Strong lemony earth taste as it hits the back of your throat, but thats about as much excitment as this beer can muster

Drinkability: Very drinkable, just wouldn't be able to drink more then 2 since this beer leaves nothing to make me buy it again. Plain, average and boring is the best 3 words I can sum this beer up with. Although it's a good choice for a decent macro, I wouldn't go out of the way to drink this, stick to Corona with a lime.

2.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A: Poured a clear bright gold with a compact, sudsy white head that quickly collapsed leaving no visible lacing. Visible carbonation was moderately strong and feverish.

S: light dried lemon-hay notes with some fresh grains.

T: started out spritzy with lemon peels and a touch of dry grains and hay. Was fairly dry in nature overall with a brisk lemon hopping on the finish.

M: seltzer like, with a strong carbonation, edgy feel and active, but light in viscosity and watery for the most part.

D: Relatively non-offending for the most part flavor-wise with the exception of the watery feel and overactive carbonation in the mouthful which hinders the drinkability.

2.81/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a decent golden with a thin fizzy head that doesnt last.

Smells like a typical lager, grainy, corny and tastes somewhat like corona though a bit better.

A velvety mouthfeel, but a terrible finish, I'll never try this again, a good refreshing beer but thats about it.

3.05/5  rDev +27.1%

I have never seen this one in the States, but a friend in Montreal swears by it, so I got a couple while up north last christmas. It's better than Corona, but that's not saying much. And this coming from someone living less than 20 miles from the border. A little better with a lime but not worth seeking out unless it's over 100F. in the shade and you're tired of American lagers like Bud and Coors.

1.89/5  rDev -21.3%

I have been spying this at the beer store for ages and finally decided to give it a try. I am sorry that I did, I basically wasted my money and will never buy this again. In fact, it has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks and I really have no intention of drinking any more of it.

This is a terrible beer, do yourself a favor, don't buy this beer!

2.95/5  rDev +22.9%

Had this at Penguin Pizza in Boston, because it's on my Mug Club list.

Pours a clear, goldeny color,with a tiny fizzy head, typical of this type. (Think Bud)

Underwhelming scent of mild grains and malt.

The taste is dominated by the malt(s). There's a slight earthiness to go with the malts and grain. Has mild bitterness in the end. Bitter and grainy, much like my grampa. It goes down smooth enough for the style, which is one of my least favorite. Probably not as terrible as some of the reviews make it seem, but for what it is, it's at least average. Crisp and fairly drinkable. I wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but not the worst macro lager I've ever had.

4.46/5  rDev +85.8%

I have to tell you I rarely make reviews of beers and I was shocked at how poorly this beer was rated. This beer was recommended to me by a fellow "Beer Snob" and I am sure glad they did. I tore through a six pack of this on a sunny day while watching both a baseball game and the Daytona 500. This is a very good Spring / Summer session ale. My first impression was that the beer was similar to a Corona but sweeter. It had a light fruity / floral taste to it. Very smooth drinking. Not bitter at all as stated in some of the previous reviews. Yes the bottle is way cool. I do prefer drinking out of a glass usually so as to get the full effect of the smell and mouthfeel but with the way the bottle felt and how well the drinkability was with this, I did not feel compelled to transfer the brew to a glass. I hope whomever else reads this will give Brahma a try or a second chance for that matter.

2.13/5  rDev -11.3%

It is of a golden, clean appearance, with few bubbles. One finger of foam. Decent appearance.
In teh smell the typical macro lager notes: malt, some hop, corn. Trivial.
No defect, yes, but also no reason to drink it.
Why have another one?
Banal macro lager.

2.06/5  rDev -14.2%

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2000.
Appearance : yellow-gold color, medium sized bubbles, white foam head
Smell : No aroma ?
Taste and mouthfeel : malted, no strong flavour
Drinkability : except refreshment, this beer is a bad copy of American macro lager style

2.88/5  rDev +20%

What can I say about this beer? It's from Brasil... at least they have their own beer, right? (Nod to Frank Zappa...). The packaging is obviously what sells it, and to be honest, I'm fairly impressed. It looks good, and it feels good in the hand. It catches the eye!

Beyond that it's a fairly basic golden lager, although I will note that it's not as clean as it could be.

It pours a clear yellow-gold body beneath an average sized head of bright white that drops relatiely shortly into almost nothing, and leaves behind only minor spots and splashes of lace.

The aroma is surprisingly malty, but with a clear adjunct bent to it, and there are also some grassy and herbal herbal hops present. I didn't detect any diacetyl as has been mentioned in previous reviews, although some dimethyl sulfide (cooked corn) is present at low levels. Oddly, or perhaps I should say surprisingly, it was not skunked despite the clear glass bottle. It may be that they're using pre-isomerized hops but I doubt it. I think I just got a good bottle - my sample came through someone in the brewing community, and I suspect that it hadn't gone through the regular distribution channels.

The flavor is as might be expected given the aroma... somewhat sweetish, mildly grainy maltiness with a bit of a toasted, aromatiic malt edge... a firm backing bitterness... some balancing grassy, herbal, and gently spicy hops. It's sweetish, grainy, then hoppy, and finally drying with a smear of hops and a bit of residual bitterness.

Overall, it's an average crisp golden lager that's not as clean as most American versions, but offers a little more character. I find it on par with some of the lesser Euro lagers, but well above many of the eastern European attempts. Not worth seeking out, but if you're in Brazil, hey, what does it matter? - you're in Brazil!!!

2.5/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I tried this beer because I have never had anything from Brazil. It is nothing to write home about really. I guess you could chug it down at a party, but its not the slow drinking, sipping, and enjoying kind of beer. I would say it is a little bit better than a Corona. Atleast it is something you don't have to kill with a lime. I guess I would drink it again if someone handed me one. It wasn't a total failure, but was lacking some taste. It kinda reminds me of every run of the mill beer I used to chug in college.

2.24/5  rDev -6.7%

From a clear 33 cl bottle, this brew poured with a nice, fluffy, white head. The color is a thin yellow, and the brew is average in appearance. The aroma is faint to the point of near nonexistence. There's a bit of grain and a distant floral note, but that may be me grasping for any stray scent. The taste has a little malt and corn-like adjunct flavor. It's more flavor than the smell telegraphed. Semi-dry and straightforward. The beer is light and fizzy. Nearly no bitterness, and a watery finish. All in all, it's not exactly 'bad', but drinking this beer certainly isn't a particularly enjoyable experience either.

Brahma from Companhia Cervejaria Brahma