Brahma | Companhia Cervejaria Brahma

Added by soper2000 on 04-28-2005

2.4

Reviews: 105 | Ratings: 244
1.78/5  rDev -25.8%

appearance - Clear gold color, not much head unless you shake the bottle and pout it. Head is carbinated so it will disapear to little or nothing.

smell - Grainy, like a common macro lager.

taste - Grains, and corn taste here.

mouthfeel - Light body and carbinated.

drinkability - If you have like 15 BA reviews, then you must drink real beer. Stay away from any Macro Lager. I think I just learned. Water, light, not much taste going on. Wouldn't buy again.

1.79/5  rDev -25.4%

Notes from Seaport Beer Fest 08/11/07

Appearance: Pale as pale gets, yellow hay colour. Medium fluffy head sticks around for a while. Doesn't look that bad actually.

Aroma: Skunky grains, alcohol, some corny adjuncts, sweet, not nice.

Taste: Cereal, toasted wheat with a giant grainy alcohol finish, leaving a terrible taste in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, light bodied. Low drinkability

Final Statment: Not a nice beer, only 1 of 2 that I poured out at the Seaport Beer Fest. Just a crappy beer from Brazil brought in to grab some of the Corona market. This is a bad product that I just want to go away.

1.85/5  rDev -22.9%

A: Looks like slightly colored water. No head, slight bubbling.

S: Terrible. Very bitter, sour smell.

T: Considering the appearance and smell, I was surprised that it wasn't completely terrible. Kind of like a Bud.

M: Bitter.

D: Couldn't have too many of these without throwing up.

I got this beer because it was from Brazil and I've never had a Brazilian beer, and now I've learned my lesson.

1.85/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours from a clear, swoopy sided 12 oz bottle. Nasty urine yellow with almost no head. Smells really bad, I thought it was skunky. I even tried another a couple weeks later from a different batch, same result is bad. Body is really flat, even though there were lots of quickly fading bubbles. Mild, sweet malt-and-corn skunk flavor. This beer is certainly crap and ranks as one of my worst pours.

1.86/5  rDev -22.5%

A - When served in Brazil, it is custom to dump the beer into the glass from several inches above the rim instead of letting it roll down the side of a slanted glass for example. Even with this pouring technique there is no head retention and zero lacing.

S - Skunk like smell with no appeal.

T - Water taste with a hint of bad.

M - Heavy carbonation (yet no head retention). Large/coarse mouth-feel.

D - If you needed to get drunk on cheap beer you might be able to do so with this beer if you can get past the initial horrible smell.

1.88/5  rDev -21.7%

12 oz. bottle brought back from a friend visiting Mexico.

Pours a pale, pale yellow colored liquid. Looks extremely watery. Has a very thin white head.

Smells like corn and little else.

Tastes a bit sweet and watery. There is a definite corn presence to this beer. A bit of unpleasant bitterness completes the swallow.

Mouthfeel is somewhat crisp and very thin.

Overall this is a typical macro. I could see swilling these on a warm day in South America. That is provided there is no palatable water, Coke or something else.

1.89/5  rDev -21.3%

I have been spying this at the beer store for ages and finally decided to give it a try. I am sorry that I did, I basically wasted my money and will never buy this again. In fact, it has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks and I really have no intention of drinking any more of it.

This is a terrible beer, do yourself a favor, don't buy this beer!

1.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Described on menu as "Full Bodied Brazilian Beer " at a local Mexican place.
No head...no fizz...gold.
Very little smell ...kind of grainy.
Taste....watery , thin canned corn leftover water. A little sweet.
Mouthfeel very low..almost no carbonation.
Why would someone even think to import this stuff ??

1.9/5  rDev -20.8%

A: This beer pours very light-coloured (remainds me of very light german white wine) with a white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: At first I didn't smell anything but when I really consentrated there was faint floral hops.

T: Some floral hops, some fruit (citrus) and some malt - not much of anything but better than the apperance and smell indicated. Almost no aftertaste.

M: Carbonic acids - small bubbles, and lots of 'em. Otherwise is this a lightbodied beer.

D: This isn't very interesting - you get something that quenches your thirst, but not much else.

1.9/5  rDev -20.8%

This is one of those beers that is just bottomline ridiculous. Now I like to take an occasional Corona down like the next guy but this beer was like drinking colored water. I could drink a case down and not know the difference. Now someone might ask if I could drink so many what's my problem. My problem is that this beer has no body or texture or distinguishing features. Remember, I'm no beer snob, I love Shipyard Pumpkinhead beer for its drinkabilty but dislike this Brahma for the same reason. If you have to decide between a beer and water then you shouldn't drink that beer.

1.94/5  rDev -19.2%

A - Clear straw with not bad head - a good size and pretty sticky with some retention ability.

S - No skunk despite the clear bottle. I guess I got a good one. Still, there's a wierd cigarette smoke smell, feet, and some booziness. The smell on this one is actively unpleasant.

T - Watery with a bland light bitterness. Slightly astringent.

M - Fizzy, Yellow.

D - My bad for pouring it into a glass. Probably a decent thirst quencher if drunk straight from the bottle.

1.95/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours yellow with virtually no head retention.

The smell is of cooked corn and adjunct sweetness. Mild.

The taste is of cooked corn/veggies. Plenty of water and adjuncts. I suppose that there is malt. It is sweet, but not overly so.

The body is light and too watery. Some slickness. Could be refreshing on a very hot day were it not for the bad taste, which fortunately does not linger.

Why bother with this one...There is enough swill here - no need to import more. Not much to it - sub-standard even for the style.

1.95/5  rDev -18.8%

The appearance is golden but nothing special. I am definately not impressed by the packaging, it sort of reminds me of one of the "beer alternatives", i.e. Mike's Hard (insert appropriate joke here).

The smell is pretty skunky and could be compared to stagnant pool water. Taste is surprisingly better than the aroma would foretell. There is a strange sweetness underlying which does do the Brahma some justice. I believe it would add to the overall experience if it were more prominent. The consistency could best be described as half a beer.

This beer does go down easy but the only way I think I'd drink it is while hanging out with my Brazilian friends... but they all just drink PBR anyway.

1.97/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: light pale yellow colour with very little carbonation. Builds a shy head and a somewhat creamy lace.

Smell: it's more bready than other beers I can find locally, but it's a very smooth and light odour. It's not bad, but it isn't a pro either.

Taste: light bread and roasted grain flavour, it's not as disgusting, but you better drink it before it warms.

Mouthfeel: it's almost like drinking tap water. It goes down easily and you can have too many and be like nothing has happened. The alcohol presence is very light.

Overall: it's acceptable while it's cold. One of the cheapest beers over here too.

1.99/5  rDev -17.1%

A - Medium golden colour with a centimetre of white head that falls away very fast.
S - Cereral graininess, some cooked vegie aromas.
T - Quite a sweet pale malt thing going on here. Still pretty crap though.
M - Not water like as expected, a slight bit of body. Fairly high carbonation.
D - On a hot day on a beach on the Atlantic coast of Brazil I guess it'd be OK.

2.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Nothing to see here, just move along.
Sampled while in Chile the last week or so. Went out on a limb for something different, and ended up with Brahma. Much better choices if you happen to actually be in Chile.
You have been warned, don't spend any money or time on this drain pour.

2.03/5  rDev -15.4%

A - A simple looking, clear yellow beer, with little to no head that left no lacing.

S - Smells like an AAL, really there is nothing going on here. Some sweet corn malt.

T - Actually, this tastes quite a bit like water, very little taste at all. Some sweetness, that's about it.

M - Weak, watery, light.

D - Can session this, but you don't want to, it's just not a good beer.

2.03/5  rDev -15.4%

355ml clear bottle poured in a pilsener glass. Cool looking bottle with a modest neck label.

Clear, pale straw yellow in colour. White head is 1/4 inch on the pour, but quickly reduces to a thin ring around the outside. Spots of lace here and there.

Corn sweetness and skunk. Perhaps a little grain as well. Fairly mild aroma.

Corn sweetness throughout. A hint of astringency at the start, but that's gone by the time the carbonation rush is finished. Aftertaste is corn sweet.

Thin and watery with moderate carbonation. A bit of sharpness at the start.

None too special this. The cool bottle is the best feature of this beer. My guess is that it's intended to compete with the likes of Corona and A Marca Bavaria, and as far as that goes it's a bit better, but there's better macros out there than this.

2.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Had by default in Brazil on business trip. Review from notes.

Poured a pale yellow with an inch of bright white fizzy head. Typical adjunct yellow fizzy lager.

Smell was virtually non existant. I guess you could say that it smelled of sweet corn but not as good... The only reason I'm not giving it an F is because it didnt smell like armpits

The taste of this beer was very light, corny and sweet. Basically a sweeter version of BMC light.

The mouthfeel was extremely carbonated and light bodied. Left somewhat of a semi sweet aftertaste.

Considerring that Brazilians actually like their beer as cold as possible is the only thing that made this beer drinkable. I was working all damn day and needed a beer after words and this was the best choice available to me most of the time. When it was cold it was "refreshing" but lacked quality taste for sure. I would never ever buy this in the states if I saw it.

2.06/5  rDev -14.2%

When I first read about the merger of Interbrew and Ambev, I couldn't wait to have a taste of the Brazilian beers. Interbrew and Ambev made a (test case) agreement to exchange an equal number of bottles Stella-Artois against Brahma. And distribute them on there home market, being Belgium and Brazil. At the moment you can buy the Brahma beer in Leuven and I have been tasting them a few times now. I didn't write a review after my first bottle because I thought I might have had a bad bottle. But after a few bottles, I have to conclude that This beer is not the beer we over here call beer.
It has a very deep yellowish colour. A bit like piss. It has hardly any taste. I tastes like your average Pilsner but with 50% water. And it has no carbonation. Do I have to tell you that it hardly has any head.
I was happy when I had the chance to taste a beer from a country I might never visit in my lifetime. But now that I had the possibility, I'm not really unhappy about it. The beer might be crap, but now I know this because I had the opportunity to taste it my self. I had the same thing when I first tasted Budweiser. A lot of people had already told me that it was crap. But now that I had a go myself, I know it isn't a very good beer.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

2.06/5  rDev -14.2%

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2000.
Appearance : yellow-gold color, medium sized bubbles, white foam head
Smell : No aroma ?
Taste and mouthfeel : malted, no strong flavour
Drinkability : except refreshment, this beer is a bad copy of American macro lager style

2.1/5  rDev -12.5%

Remember when InBev spent a ridiculous amount of money acquiring this brand and then marketed the crap out of it in North America (as, like, a Corona competitor) and it flopped?

I suspect one of the reasons that happened is that this stuff is arguably even worse than Corona. Corona is at least tasteless, where as this has a taste--it's just a borderline offensive one.

2.13/5  rDev -11.3%

It is of a golden, clean appearance, with few bubbles. One finger of foam. Decent appearance.
In teh smell the typical macro lager notes: malt, some hop, corn. Trivial.
No defect, yes, but also no reason to drink it.
Why have another one?
Banal macro lager.

2.15/5  rDev -10.4%

A fairly hefty price for a 6 of these around here, more expensive than any of the local micros. And the woman in their commercial, while they are aiming for sensuality, has far more clothes on than the rest of the Brazilian beers I've seen advertised. Then there's the curiously curved bottle, made for an easier and firmer grip on the bottle I suppose.

Came in a clear 355 ml bottle, 4.8 abv% listed on the neck label, best before date of Feb/27/06 stamped on the shoulder. Pours out a rather pale clear golden colour, but with a decent head that lasted close to a minute, and leaves a bit of lacing. Impressive to see on such a flaccid looking body. Grain and sweet malt can be picked up on the nose, very slight herbal hops well into the background, it doesn't seem very offensive, but also doesn't leave much to go by either. The flavour, however, is very fizzy and watery, only a slight bit of grain can be detected, not much flavour to be detected. In fact I had a couple of these previously right from the bottle, and the flavour seemed to be a bit more off drinking them that way than this almost neutral taste I'm getting from out of the glass. The mouthfeel is also fizzy and thin. Personally I wouldn't be going back for any more of this stuff, especially for the price of it, there's not much of a product here to consume. Generic all the way.

2.16/5  rDev -10%

The pale yellow Brazilian Brahma was introduced in the Swedish market in 2006. It pours with a finger of foam. The beer does not have much smell except a suspicios whiff of macro lager. The taste is sweetish and watery with a fizzy mouthfeel. Not much to hang in the X-mas tree, as we say in Sweden.

Brahma from Companhia Cervejaria Brahma