Mathias Imperial IPA | Haymarket Beer Co. Pub & Brewery

Haymarket Beer Co. Pub & Brewery
Illinois, United States
haymarketbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

In honor of Officer Mathias Degan, the first of 8 of Chicago's Finest to lose their lives in the line of duty during the Haymarket Affair. Copious amounts of Citra Hops deliver wonderful citrus and mango notes. At 10% ABV, we feel Mathias is a proper representation of the strength and courage of our Boys in Blue. Raise one to thank the fine Officers of the Chicago Police Department for their sacrifice.

Added by beertooth on 01-23-2011

#757
Liked:
4.33/5
Alströms:

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

Golden honeyed pour with about half inch white head that recedes slowly. Pour from a growler.

Aroma is an immediate citrus. Fresh, clean and floral. Sugar Smack sweetened malt cereal. First batch caramel aroma so inviting.

Taste starts off with a mellifluous sweetness followed by pockets of alcohol. An enveloping bitterness ensues falling and coating to the sides of the tongue. Tongue thus takes on a mild hop pine numbness. Citrus, pine resin and alcohol linger well into the cranium. Very grapefruity throughout.

Mouthfeel is thin with creamy texture. Drinks very smoooooth.

Overall this screams Imperial. I've noted the texture is thin but that's works extremely well for me. I personally don't care for the amount of evident alcohol presence but that will not deter me from future purchases. This reminds me of the fruity sweetness and hop from Dirtwolf and the alcohol prominence of Hop Ranch. If your anywhere near this joint and you love imperials I would definitely stop by here and git yo self sum. Everything I've read about and more. Winner winner chicken dinner!

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

4.19/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.59/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16 oz. draft at The Haymarket

I can't give this beer a proper review, since I had it over a bachelor party weekend in Chicago and didn't take notes. But I felt the need to expand on my rating. Mathias was simply amazing. In a 3-day binge of a wide variety of craft beers of all shapes and sizes, this one stood out as deserving individual recognition. I suppose it should be noted that I've had my first Pliny The Elder and Heady Topper within the last month. Mathias left a bigger and better impression than both.

VERY citrus forward with plenty of tropical fruit and floral notes. Juicy, sticky, and just enough piney bitterness to give it some bite. Easily the smoothest 10% DIPA I've ever had. Possibly the best as well. If you are in Chicago I cannot recommend The Haymarket highly enough.

3.25/5  rDev -24.9%