Janna Montana Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Belgian Black IPA | Haymarket Pub & Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Haymarket Pub & Brewery
Illinois, United States

Style: Belgian IPA

Aged for 3 months in 8 year Woodford Reserve Barrels, this Belgian Black IPA, or "Midwestian Dark" as we’ve nicknamed the style, is hopped primarily with Warrior and Cascades. Dark Belgian Candi Syrup brings everything together for a beer that is deceptively dangerous.

Added by MasterSki on 03-05-2012

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 13
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Judging by the name I’d harbor a guess that every single possible style of beer went into the making of this beast. And I say that only partially tongue-in-cheek.

It poured dark black with a thin layer of foam atop it. It had an incredible nose, full of roasty bourbon notes, and this wonderful, layered flavor. I picked up hints of vanilla and leather underneath the strong roast and dominating bourbon boozy sweetness. There’s a savory side to balance out the sweetness, along with an almost warming heat. This was absolutely fantastic!

On-tap at the Revolution Grand Opening party. Served in a Great Taste of the Midwest tulip that I brought with me.

A - Tan foam settles to a thin ring, leaving behind little else. Black body, with some brown at the fringes.

S - Really unusual mix of oak, Belgian yeast, whiskey, vanilla, butterscotch, candi sugar, chocolate, and citrus hops. Alcohol is not totally hidden, but isn't offensive for 11% either.

T - Taste is quite similar, but with better hidden alcohol. Spicy Belgian yeast, oak, chocolate, dark fruits, citrus hops, and a bit of that cheesy beta acid fading hops flavor. A tad less sweet than the aroma.

M - Medium-full body, super sticky and viscous, with enamel-coating hop resins in the finish. Some definite warming alcohol, even after only a few ounces.

D - I enjoyed this, especially considering how wary I was when I read the description. However, it's a definite sipper, and I'd probably find it hard to even finish a 12oz glass as the combination of booze and palate fatigue sets in pretty quickly. Still, worth trying if you see it, if only to experience an oddly successful jumble of styles and elements.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

On-tap at Rev Kedzie Grand Opening Party.

A - Pours black, thin tan head, wisps on top.

S - Bourbon, oak, malts, light roast, and hops. It's pretty straight-forward, and there's a lot more bitterness then I would have expected from a barrel-aged hoppy brew.

T - More bitterness then the nose suggests, with bourbon, toasted malts, oak, and roast coming through afterwards. Lots of citrus, pine, and resin. I get no Belgian yeast notes at all. Alcohol is there for sure at 11%. Finish is bitter bit and roast.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, oily bitter finish.

O - An "interesting" beer that tastes like nothing I've had before. Lots of hops, booze, and oak coming through here...almost like a hopped-up porter. Good, not great.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

On-tap at brewpub, from old notes.

A - Minimal tan head. Pub not very well-lit so looks very dark..

S - Really complex smell - alcohol, Belgian yeast, bourbon, vanilla and HOPS. I get a lot of different elements from the nose when I look for them - smells like it's going to be fantastic.

T - Taste isn't as good as the smell. Taste all of the elements above but they don't work as well as some of the other beers where you can pull out an element or two each time when you focus on them. Not as good of a combination as I would have hoped.

M - Full body - taste the booze and the remainder of my other beer isn't going to taste like much after this..

O - Glad I got a 4oz pour instead of anything larger. Interesting taste but doesn't quite work. Also, took over my palate and didn't let me get much from any other beers after finishing this one.

Janna Montana Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Belgian Black IPA from Haymarket Pub & Brewery