Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hammerhead IPA | Reaver Beach Brewing Company

Added by Kegatron on 02-15-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by Cubatobaco:

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%

A good head but a light looking body. Decent bitterness, I'm guessing 60 IBU,however a bit on the mouthfeel light side. C-hop aroma certainly there.The malting does not do it justice in terms of bringing out the flavour. Playing around, we put in a very bretty beer and it worked great but that it us and not ratable.radek's bottle from his most recent trip down to the brewpub.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear copper, with a finger of foamy bright-white head. This retains with a thin frothy layer, leaving back a moderate cascade of spotty lacing which slowly drips down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells leafy and herbal, with some light tropical fruit notes, which is undercut by notes of pine and some green grapefruit flavors. Toasted grains round out the edges of this well, as the overall nose is coming off to me as fresh, herbal, and fruity feeling.

The taste has a crisp citric bite up front that spreads green leafy bitterness and citrus tones out into the mouth. Light ripened tropical fruit character and a toasted graininess balance this, although the malts in particular mostly stay in the background. Hops hang in the finish, with resins, spice, and a lingering herbal feel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a firm creaminess upon first sip that get’s progressively sharper the longer it sits in the mouth. Fortunately, there is enough of an underlying slickness here to keep this moving along. That 6% ABV is spot on here, with just the tiniest bit of warmth present but is mostly here to jut add a touch of fullness to the feel.

This was my first experience with this new brewery and I have to say… not bad at all! It seemed like this IPA could have used a bit of refinement but the overall fresh and flavorful crispness here helped pull it through to the end. A little further tweaking and this could really be right there for the style. I’ll be checking back in with this one.

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

My first review from this local brewer. Hammerhead is a good IPA...not a real hop bomb, but nicely balanced with a good hoppy aroma.

Pours a hazy honey color into my pint glass. A hard pour will provide a big slightly off-white frothy head with good retention. Thick bands of lacing.

Smell is very pronounced citrus hops...very good.

Taste is a bit more subdued. There is a malty balance between the citrus and piney hops. You can enjoy the hops but it is not a head shrinker with a pronounced hope "bite".

Mouthfeel is rich and crisp. A little hops bite. Nothing watery about this beer. I did not notice any metallic aftertaste that some reviewers mentioned. Grape and Gourmet sells a lot of Beach Brewing beers, so I know this one was fresh.

Overall a good IPA but not the hophead delight that so many expect. I enjoyed the 22 ozer myself and would drink one again.

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. No bottling date/best by date visible.

A: Pours a cloudy dark amber color, nearly as dark as Lipton hot tea. There's a decent one finger head that dissipates in a minute or two. No real lacing was left on the glass.

S: There's a bright citrusy character in the aroma, with a bit of wet dishrag mixed in.

T: There's a pronounced grassiness, along with some floral and citrus notes. Unfortunately, the wet towel taste is even more prevalent in the taste than in the aroma. I made sure this was not coming from my glass by drinking some straight out of the bottle as well, and I still tasted it.

M: Smooth, medium mouthfeel with a healthy amount of carbonation.

Overall, I'm not a fan of this beer. I wish I knew how old it was, as age could be a major factor in how this tastes. However, I just noticed it at my bottle store today for the first time, so I doubt it's all that old. Even limiting myself to IPAs brewed in Virginia, there are many better ones.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%