King Don's Original Pumpkin Ale | Catawba Brewing Co.

King Don's Original Pumpkin AleKing Don's Original Pumpkin Ale

Catawba Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
catawbabrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2003

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

I've enjoyed this wonderful Fall beer on tap and in a bottle.

A - rich dark color, reddish-brown in a glass, nice thick head

S - a spicey, but not sweet, pumpkin aroma

T - smooth on the tongue, very palatable, smooth malty sweetness, nice aftertaste with lots of spices

M - enough natural carbonation to lighten this thick beer

D - outstanding!!! What every Pumpkin beer should strive to be.

4.79/5  rDev +23.8%

What every pumpkin beer should live up to. If you don't like pumpkin or pumpkin pie, this probably won't be your thing, but if you like a good pumpkin beer, this should be right up your alley.

I could see for some people that there wouldn't be enough body, but for me it was perfect. I felt like I was drinking a beer that had a pumpkin flavor instead of the other way around.

The smell had the characteristic of roasted hops, pumpkin and nutmeg and the color was a nice brownish orange.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

4.65/5  rDev +20.2%

This is by far the best Pumpkin ale I have ever tasted personally.

a: really rich in color. Deep orange.
s: can I say pumpkin pie meets carbonation?
t: The rich pumpkin pie flavor of this beer made me consider putting whip cream a top the beer.
m: Very smoothly flows across the palette.
d: all fall.

Give this a try next October if you are in the region.

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice pumpkin brew. Color is quite good with the red/orange color I look for in a pumpkin ale. Spice was a bit strong on the front of the tongue but had a very good after taste that lingers. The head was perfect and it is an easy drinkable pumpkin brew!

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%

Had this wonderful brew on tap at Growler's Pourhouse in Charlotte, NC. It is quite good!

A: Reddish-brown
S: Lots of festive spices. Nutmeg and cinnamon even.
T: Awesome. Not so much pumpkin as a really good blend of fall spices.
D: Very, very drinkable.

Note: They line your glass with an interesting blend of sugars and cinnamon if you get this beer at Growler's. Quite a treat!

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Sampled on tap at the Brewgrass festival in Asheville, North Carolina. Consumed on 09/20/2008 and reviewed from notes taken at the time.

What can I really say about this pout, it was a damn pumpkin! Rich orange color was an absolute treat to look at. Some light haze and cloudiness to it, enough to make it look a bit thicker then I thought it would. A nice one inch head of white and fizzy foam came up over the top and settled down nicely into the glass leaving a good amount of side glass lace to mix around with the carbonation that could be seen streaking up.

The aroma was about as rich in pumpkin spice as you could possibly get. Huge notes of spices that just come whiffing up to the surface. This was an enormously good smelling beer. I swear if you could bottle the fall season, it would come close to this I am sure. The flavor was more of the same, rich in every sense of the word. Huge notes here of all spice, pumpkin, and hints of earthy grains. Tingling the tongue as it went down it was like a piece of pumpkin pie, which is about all that can be said. Delicately light Mouthfeel was well carbonated and not too thin or anything that would be anything less then wonderful. Easy to sip as the flavor was far too rich to be putting this one down in too great of numbers.

Overall though this has to be one of the best pumpkin ales I have ever had, hands down. Rich and decadent, smooth and deliciously. Probably the best beer that Catawba makes, well next to Coconut. Go find this one this fall season for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

Had it on Tap at Vintner Wine Market in Charlotte and also out of a growler from Bruisin' Ales in Asheville. The quality control seems to be very good as they seemed to be close to identical at both.

A - Dark brown color, reddish-orange when held to light. Thin off white head

S - The spices really come out in the smell. Cinnamon and clove. Not a whole lot of pumpkin smell.

T - If you like pumpkin, this is a must try. Tastes like a pumpkin pie. Cinnamon and pumpkin spice are very noticeable. Sweet and spicy.

M - Good carbonation, mouthfull is medium-full.

D - Phenomenal. What every pumpkin beer should strive for. When I had the growler, I was disappointed when I finished it during the tailgate.

This is my favorite pumpkin beer and it's not even close. I wish it was bottled because my refrigerator would be stocked with it during the fall. Fortunately, growlers are readily available. My tailgate beer of choice during football season.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Now, granted, I only had a small sample at the World beer festival, but, that was enough to see the nice rich deep amber color. I could not get a good read on the head from my sample, however, MAN what an absolutely fragrant brew!! Totally rich with all the spices of a pumpkin pie. This is one tasty brew as well, the pumpkin pie aroma carries straight through to the taste!! A wonderfully rich spicy taste. This brew is one to savor!!

4.29/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

I have had this one on draft, years ago. It was great then. Pretty much turned me onto pumpkin beers. Then I had a lot more and they were not all that great. This year they are canning it. Maybe they began last year. But this is a fairly new thing for me. I love the fact they are canning it!

Color: Dark, caramel, like an Oktoberfest, brown ale color. The color of autumn.

Smell: Lots of fall spices going on. Nutmeg, clove, cinnamon. This is pumpkin pie in a can. I guess you get some pumpkin flavor in there. But what you get mostly are the spices. Which is what I like about it. But seriously do pumpkins have all that much flavor anyway. Its the spices that make the pie.

Overall: I still think this one is one of the best pumpkin beers out there. I plan on trying a lot more this fall. I have a few really good ones (supposedly) stashed away.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%

Strong nutmeg, some pumpkin. Goes down real nice.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Pint on-tap at Barley's in Spindale.

It doesn't get any more pumkin like than this beer. Catawba Valley has nailed this one. The beer is a nice orange and the head is fair. The smell is like a nice pumkin pie. The taste is obviously pumkins and there is a hint of spices. The mouthfeel is smooth. This is a beer that would be very good with Thanksgiving supper. I would certainly drink this again.

King Don's Original Pumpkin Ale from Catawba Brewing Co.