King Don's Original Pumpkin Ale | Catawba Brewing Co.

King Don's Original Pumpkin AleKing Don's Original Pumpkin Ale

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

2.24/5  rDev -41.5%

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

I have had this one on draft, years ago. It was great then. Pretty much turned me onto pumpkin beers. Then I had a lot more and they were not all that great. This year they are canning it. Maybe they began last year. But this is a fairly new thing for me. I love the fact they are canning it!

Color: Dark, caramel, like an Oktoberfest, brown ale color. The color of autumn.

Smell: Lots of fall spices going on. Nutmeg, clove, cinnamon. This is pumpkin pie in a can. I guess you get some pumpkin flavor in there. But what you get mostly are the spices. Which is what I like about it. But seriously do pumpkins have all that much flavor anyway. Its the spices that make the pie.

Overall: I still think this one is one of the best pumpkin beers out there. I plan on trying a lot more this fall. I have a few really good ones (supposedly) stashed away.

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz can poured slightly hazy; deep red-amber body; good size bubbly head quickly dissolves.
Aroma: nice malty and spicy mix with a hint of pumpkin.
Flavor: Over-spiced with little sign of the pumpkin, although the malt base is still evident.

1.2/5  rDev -68.7%

King Don's Original Pumpkin Ale from Catawba Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 63% out of 100 with 100 ratings