Bier De Clam | Catawba Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Catawba Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
catawbabrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ncvbc on 08-27-2007

Reviews by Enola:
4.3/5  rDev +8%

This beer was a deep black with a nice tan head. The smell was toasted grain and coffee. The taste was of oatmeal and coffee. Mouthfeel was smooth and there was a nice lasting aftertaste. I could drink this beer again. My hometown brewer has hit another home run.

3.82/5  rDev -4%

I saw this listed on the tap board at Barley's and knew I had to try it.

So... a beer made with clams. Oysters, actually. This is an entirely new experience for me. I await the waitress's return with trepidation.

So Bier de Clam is a deep black-brown opaque stout with a tight, toasty tan head that sticks to the glass and leave some lacing behind. It LOOKS normal enough...

I let the beer warm for a few minutes as I mentally prepare my palette for a bittersweet, seafood-y beverage. During my fitful meditations, I pick up a smell not unlike that of a milk stout from my glass. It's roasted and charred, and smells of coffee and metal. Nothing too weird here, I have to admit.

Alright. The moment of truth. I take a sip. Hey! This actually isn't that bad. I try another. Huh. This is pretty darn stout-like, and not disgusting in the least. It's a typical medium roast stout, not too heavy, with coffee upfront and a middle that is dry and chocolaty. A light sweetness and a dry chalkiness show up everywhere, and I'm picking up a mild, vague saltiness... could that be the oysters!? No actual oyster flavor is anywhere to be found here. I admit it's a bit of a letdown.

The mouthfeel is creamy and smoothly carbonated, the finish is powder-dry and bittersweet. This is good. I could have another.

So Bier de Clam is actually pretty tame, and while I was expecting something wildly different, what I actually got was a dry, mild stout that's pretty drinkable. The oysters, if present, are barely there (I've not decided if this is good or not), but probably add to the character of this brew somehow, if not just to the mystique. A pleasant surprise.

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

I hoped to try some King Coconut before it was gone this year...instead I saw something random. Bier de Clam, an oyster stout from Catawba Valley. Interesting!

Pour was a dark and near black. A rich head and low carbonation.

Smell was similar to the Honest Injun. Roasted malts, though it was a little more subtle.

Taste was pretty nice. Good balance. The addition of oyster tones down the other flavors. Light hints of chocolate in there as well.

Mouthfeel was a smooth and creamy. A little lighter than expected but still like velvet.

Overall good drinkability. This is a good idea and I'm glad to see more brews coming out of CVBC. It doesn't stand up to King Coconut and a couple others but it shows promise for what is to come. I can only imagine after seeing this...

Bier De Clam from Catawba Brewing Co.