Hoppy Daze IPA | Coronado Brewing Company

coronadobrewing.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 11-06-2003

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

This brew poured out as a nice looking golden copper color, with a very little amount of head on top. The lacing is very minimal... next to nothing really. The smell of this beer is a super hoppy and sweet. I'm enjoying the aroma of this quite a bit actually. The taste of the beer doesn't scream Belgian to me really, it's got a lot of american style hops in it that kind of kill off any of the Belgian flavors that it might have in there somewhere. Still I find it to taste very good. The mouthfeel of this brew is oily and lightly carbonated, very smooth and for me very drinkable. Overall I enjoyed this beer, I'd probably drink it again no questions asked.

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

$2.50 single from Abe's.

Lots of yeast sediment floating in a thick yellow-orange haze. One finger of level white foam.

Oranges, apricots, other citrus, pine, and a bit of fresh bread, and a hint of Belgian candy in the nose.

Sweet caramel beginning, followed by juicy fruit, big hop bite at the swallow and some Belgian style yeast candy in the finish.

Solid medium mouthfeel delivers well.

Not that big on Belgian IPAs, but this comes across as a well done Belgian/US hybrid. I wouldn't have a lot of these, but one is certainly worth it.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Coronado Hoppy Daze

Pours a deep golden in color, solid off white head and lacing. Aroma is of spicy, pungent, grapefruit hops. In the flavor, mainly grapefruit hops with some pith, zest and rind action with a substantial bitterness. For a "Belgian Style" IPA this misses the mark and is clearly in the American IPA style, with the belgo yeast only making itself known in its spiciness. Mouthfeel is good with a crisp carbonation and hop bite. Overall, a nice IPA style beer, but not enough Belgian influence to be true to style.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my Bruery tulip.

Orange peel body which glows a bright amber when held to a light. Soft ivory head recedes fairly quickly as it is quite active. Appears more like an American IPA rather than a Belgian IPA.

Potent aromatics - suffused with melons, grapefruit, pine, passion fruit, and tangerine. Again, more "American" in approach, but quite fresh and invigorating.

Fruity palate entry, moderately bitter, with peppery phenolics in the relativlely dry finish. Unique flavor profile, full of subtle tropical fruit, rye crackers, and hooka tobacco notes.

A little thin for a Belgian style, lacking effervescence (the quantity of carbonation is fine, though the quality is off). ABV is well integrated.

Despite using Belgian yeast, beyond some aspects of the flavor, this is a domestic style through and through. Still, Coronado knows what to do with hops - so this is worth seeking out.

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Pours a hazy, dark amber orange color with no carbonation and a white, soapy looking lace ring.

A - Doesn't smell like a Belgian IPA, the yeasty/bready character is just not there. The aroma is very, very spicy, acidic, and tangy above anything else. The small amount of fruit I'm getting is red grapefruit rinds and overly ripe pineapple. There's also a tinge of booze in the nose.

T - Mimics the nose. There's no Belgian character in here anywhere and it has more spicy, zesty, and acidic tasting overripe fruit above anything else and dominates the entire palette. The pungency sensation is overpowering and stays all the way to the end. Right before it hits the final stretch of the sip, there's a small, brief moment of roasty toffee caramel, then gets buried again. There's a slight spicey warming in the throat as it slides down the hatch.

M - Medium bodied, slightly sticky, spice and zesty acidity tingle the tongue more than the carbonation.

O - I could tell from the first smell that this bottle was probably toast, there's no way Coronado would brew a Belgian style IPA with this kind of tang because they're a talented bunch of folks which tells me it's the bottle. I'll definitely give this one another go around and adjust my review as such. I really like the beers from Coronado. However, if I weren't expecting more Belgian flare in the aroma and taste, and this were classified more as a big IPA, I might enjoy it more. The pungent acidity reminds me more of what I experienced with a Mikkeller "I Beat yoU", and that was done in a good way. This is too, but I don't think it's what the brewer was shooting for, if so, call it something else to eliminate the Belgian expectation because it's just not there. Like I said, I'll DEFINITELY give this one another try. The bottle is on the downside, and I still give solid a "B", only because I do like pungency and spice in my hops, just doesn't work with this style. Can't wait to try a fresh one!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Mad Mex featuring Hoppy Daze IPA on tap right now intense array of citrus hops brings out Beligan spices as well. The moderate carbonation and the smooth drinking body goes hand and hand, one of those beers that drain themselves than you find at that Mad Mex is charging nine bucks a glass for this masterpiece. An excellent product but so limited that Mad Mex is selling it for a set price of nine dollars a pour but it only charges 4.50 during happy hora M-F that's why they can get away with the inflated pricing. Even the Brown ale from Coronado was nine bucks fuck Wilson Mcginnley and Fuck Mad Mex for 9 dollar pints. This beer was excellent too bad I couldn't drink another serving without spending 18 dollars did I mention they want to serve this in 12 ounce pours. Citrus, floral, and earthy hops stand tall against the barrage of West Coast hops but the alcohol is well hidden and the malts are plentiful enough to create some balance. Drinkability overall is quality but the price leaves this one on the experimental backburner.

2.36/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle

Holiday Wine Cellar
Escondido, CA

(I don't typically review the same beer twice; I only do so when my experiences between serving types are vastly different. My experience was much better on tap compared to my bottle of this beer.)

A very dark amber. This beer is nearly brown--and there's so much sediment in the beer that it almost looks like an auburn brown sludge in my glass. Huge chunks of sediment swirl throughout the beer and it looks thick, murky, and heavy. Huge, thick head and lots of lacing, sure, but this beer looks quite unappealing. A completely different experience than my on tap one!

Particularly tangy and spicy yeast character in the nose--far more than I remember in the on tap version. It's so overpowering I can hardly keep my nose on the beer to try and pick out more. That's not to say this beer smells bad, but it's certainly a completely different animal than the version I had previously. There's some citrus elements but the tangy, spicy yeast is all that's easily accessible.

Citrus hops and Belgian yeast character are here, but there's also something unpleasant. This beer is unappealing, and I was looking forward to this bottle all day! I wanted to enjoy this beer, but this I don't enjoy. There's a dish soap and an unappealing tang that has me smacking my lips after each sip wishing it would go away.

Too thick in the mouth, yet acceptable.

I'm not going to finish this beer. I didn't enjoy it at all, and not liking this beer shocked me! I had this on tap and it instantly became my favorite American Belgian IPA. This bottle, however--not good.

A bad bottle, maybe?

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at the brewery! Taken from notes.

Appearance – A nice golden color with about a finger of head when given to me by the waitress. The head sticks around for a while and leaves nice lacing.

Smell – The Belgian yeast and bready malts are at the forefront, but there is also a nice citrus hop bite, along with slight pine. Some spices are present at the end.

Taste – Similar to the nose, though the citrus flavors are more noticeable. Orange, grapefruit, and a hint of lemon. Then the Belgian yeast and flavors start to kick in. I am not a huge fan of this style but this one was not overpowering and relatively pleasant.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – A good beer to have with a Ruben, but not one I’d have again to be honest.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

A Mirky amber/orange color. Some bits n pieces floating on the bottom of the cup

S some fruity hops and bready-yeast

T Hmm I'm not sure how I feel. Resembles the smell but it all seems downgraded and neutralized. The taste is very subdued but the alcohol doesn't show up despite being 9%. Sparks up with a little hops at the end but. Fails to jump out and really catch my attention. It's well balanced dont get me wrong, I just wished they pumped up the flavors.

D Again the alcohol doesn't show up and it has a kind of slick mouthfeel. Probably the highlight of the beer.

On-tap at Blue Palms

A: The beer pours a golden amber color with a nice white head on top of it.

S: Plenty of fresh citrus hop aroma to this one along with some floral and fruit notes. Plenty of yeast which gives it a touch of that "Belgian" feel, as does a hint of spice. Bready malts provide a touch of sweetness.

T: Very fruit forward hops with lots of citrus and tropical fruit flavors coming through. A moderate hop bitterness is offset to an extent by some yeasty and mildly sweet bready malt flavors.

M: Medium in body with a medium level of carbonation.

O: Belgian IPAs often fall a bit short for me, but this was quite good. Very nice flavors to this beer.

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a goblet. Had an amber color and a thick consistency. Some floaties. There was an inch and a half of foamy, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing.

S: A sweet, fragrant smell of hops, citrus and malt.

T: Tasted of hops, grapefruit, malt and a grassy element in the finish. Hoppier than you might expect for a Belgian IPA, but not overwhelmingly so. Almost closer in character to an American IPA. Still, very flavorful.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is a well made, drinkable beer.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Picked up a 22oz bomber for $6.99 from Sea Trader Liquor here in OB and poured it into an Old Speckled Hen pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy unfiltered burnt golden/straw-like hue with a fluffy white head that lingers leaving massive amounts of lacing in my glass from start to finish.

S: Right off the bat I get a strong Nelson or similar hop strain aroma, grapefruit rinds, sweet sativa - fresh grain and bran flakes, with a nice balance of malt at the very end.

T: Pretty much on point with the nose with earthy flavors on the back end - herbal tea, juniper berries and milk thistle with hardly any trace of alcohol.

M/D: Medium-bodied, almost milky viscosity with a mellow carbonation that lends to the body nicely. Extremely drinkable and quite enjoyable in large quantities.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

On tap at Small Bar

A - Very clear with an amber color and off white head of about a finger and a half.

S - Lots of dry hopping coming thru. A hint of yeast comes thru too. Grassy hops here not sweet hops.

T - Starts with the grassy hops then comes thru with the bitterness and ends up with more of the grassy hops. Little presence of yeast - and it was called a belgian ipa on the board.

M - Robust and full for an ipa, but in a good way.

O - Interesting beer but somewhat unbalanced. Tastes more like a muddied IPA than a true Belgian IPA with the yeast character very much subdued.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

On Tap.

A- Goden yellow with a nice bright white head that became a cap and left no sap.

S- Belgian yeast on top of grapefruit and citrus scents and a bready backing.

T- Grapefruit, pineapple, Belgian yeast making bread. Some tangerine. The flavors don't really jump out at you, pretty muted. No alcohol though which is a plus.

M- Fairly carbed with a less than medium body, goes down pretty smooth with a slight crisp pop towards the end. A yeasty aftertaste.

D- I enjoyed this to an extent but I was blown away last year. It's good now but I won't be going for a 2nd glass, where as last tear I had three.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

On tap at the dog.

A- comes to me with a finger of bright white head that settles in a few to leave a nice wed of sticky lace. The brew is a hazy sunset orange yellow in color.

S- a nice juicy citrus and tropical hit with a good amount of spicy belgian yeast ans a slightly sweet honey and powered sugar malt hit.

T- bitter grapefruit rind and orange zest with a nice spicy yeast component. Some herbal grassiness as well. Malts are light and sweet with just enough gumption to balance but never overshadow.

M- medium body with sick creamyish carb that let's the brew sit and stay awhile before it kicks in even more and rounds the whole thing out.

D- nice belgian ipa for sure. Not sure how fresh it is so I won't pass to much judgment on the hops but I think this brew super fresh might be awesome, or if this is super fresh its a good beer.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to kaiser81 for this bottle.

Pours hazy golden with a large white head. The initial aroma is very hoppy, with both grassy and citrusy orange hops. The flavor is Belgian yeast and grassy as well as some fruit flavors, with citrus as well as a little banana. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

A 22 ounce bomber bottle purchased at Abe's in Bethlehem for around $6. Poured into a standard shaker glass. The ale appears a hazed bright yellow color with about two fingers of fluffy off white foam. Nose and flavors are of orange creamsicles, menthol, apricot, grapefruit, peach, mango, sweet malt, pine, spicy yeast. Better than medium bodied and dry with ample carbonation. Pretty tasty overall.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The one thing that usually gets me about BIPAs is the Belgian side of it. Many have too much yeast and biscuity sweetness that overpowers the hops. This one is different.
A cloudy golden pour with a sticky head. Rocky mounds of foam spring up. Lacing is great.
Aroma is crisp hoppiness with undertones of biscuit and coriander. A blend of mint, grapefruit and pear. Floral as well.
Refreshing taste. As the aroma of floral hops still lingers the tongue is hit with a smack of citrus. Grapefruit, juicy. A subtle but strong malt backbone is key here as the hops try to dominate, but are pulled back just at the bite goes deep. Sweet biscuits and light toast come into play at the end. Alcohol is well hidden and warming.
This is a great beer. Very good aroma, flavor, feel and finish. Wish I had more of these!

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Have now had this beer on tap and out of the bottle and there's no getting around it. This is a damn fine beer from Coronado Brewing.

On tap at the Drafting Room at Exton.

The beer pours a rich golden peach color with very good head retention and lacing. The nose is gorgeous as well, with peach, apriocot, honey, white pepper and hoppy citrus. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose very well, with the beer displaying a wonderful wash of hoppy bitterness on the finish. It really does an excellent job of cutting and countering the moderate sweetness in this beer, giving the beer an attractive, drying finish. Mouthfeel in this excellent beer is also impressive, and is fairly full with hoppy bitterness everywhere. Drinikability is pretty good, with the relatively high alcohol well disguised.

Just an all around terrific beer from the folks at Coronado. Impressive.

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Served in a chalice.

A: ONE BEAUTIFUL ALE. From the tap it produced a small off-white head that was fairly diminishing. I would have liked to have seen a bigger head, but I suspect that if I had poured it, I would have. The body was a warm golden orange and heavily hazy and maybe even a bit cloudy. A little yeast sediment found it's way to the bottom, which I like as a visual reminder of exactly what it is that you are drinking. It was nearly perfection in a glass. Can only go down from here...

S & T: ...but it didn't!!! The aroma was wonderful. Moderately grainy malts, bit of cookie and hay. The hops were heavy but not overpowering and very fragrant. Perfumey and citrusy, orange and lemony rind characteristics. The yeast was also very present: sweaty, musty & dank. Very noticeable fruit qualities. I was more confident in picking up the grape, peach and raisin notes than I was in the raspberry or cranberry. So well balanced and well rounded. Very nice flavor duration, moderately sweet, moderately acidic & moderately bitter. Absolutely delicious.

M: Medium body, pleasantly creamy and perfectly carbonated.

D: I could drink this all day. I did dock a 1/2 point for not quite fulfilling my hop craving. But that is quickly overlooked by my excitement for this style of beer. I love Belgian IPAs!!!

22oz bottle from the fridge.

Pours light gold with a slight haze and an inch-plus head of white. Plenty of ripped sheets of lacing throughout the glass as well as a full coverage skim coat.

Aromatics lead off with pungent, bitter, almost astringent hops. Heavy dosing of grapefruit pith, pine bark, and cedar dew. Light phenolics in the back with juniper in the finish.

Medium bodied with a sticky, chewy mouthfeel. A bit syrupy and slick.

Tropical fruit and conifer resin start the palate. Pink grapefruit pulp, cut grass, spruce needles, and quanine follow through.

Finishes with warming alcohol, a solid bitterness, tropical fruit, wet pine, and a hint of bubblegum.

The Belgian character is subdued by the high hopping rate, and the hops seem to lean in the pelletized direction. A mild wet paper note is found thoughout as well. Probably not the freshest example of this beer.

4.49/5  rDev +19.1%

Served in a stemmed tulip glass. A glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a lightly hazed dark golden yellow with a light orange tone. The ¼" off-white head recedes soon but throughout the beer it leaves a nice but sparse lacing pattern.

Smell: The aroma is all fruity hops with lots of orange, a little grapefruit and even some pineapple. In the background there is some nice pale malt softness.

Taste: The flavors include orange, some tropical fruits, a bit of honey and hints of caramel malt.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium to light-bodied and a creamy with light carbonation. The finish is medium long with fruity beginnings, some citrus zest (mostly orange) bitterness leading into dryness.

Drinkability: Despite the ABV, which is well concealed, I could dink a few more of this one. I kept wanting another sip and found this a delicious and dangerously drinkable beer. I'll definitely be looking to have this beer again. This is one of the more enjoyable beers I've had in a while.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from tap into a tulip sampler glass at TJs in Paoli.

A: A lighter hazy golden orange with a one finger fluffy white head. Medium glass lacing.

S: Sweet citrus hops with a sugary sweet malt presence. A tad bit of funkyness too.

T: Citrus hops with flavors of mango, orange, pineapple and some hints of floral grassy flavors. The hops immediately give way to a massive sugary sweetness mixed with some slight Belgian yeasty characters. The sugary sweetness lasts all the way until finish with the hops trying to make a comeback but end up being pushed back down with a decent alcohol flavor lingering.

M: Medium, coating, cloying sweet with a decent alcohol kick.

D: Low, believe it or not, I didn't even finish my tasting glass!

Talk about day and night, I so enjoyed this from a bottle, but from tap the sweetness comes pounding through....too much so. The hops and yeast are nice, but the sweetness needs to be dialed down a bit. I left disappointed. Shame too.

4.29/5  rDev +13.8%

Split a bottle at Tap and Table in Emmaus, PA. Poured into a tulip, the beer was a hazy yellow with a sticky white head. The aroma was a big nose full of of sweet piney resin with a mild earthy note. I'm really impressed by how clear and rich the smell is, damn. The flavor diverges surprisingly, with a much grassier, citrus rind flavor - likely the Belgian element kicking in. Like most really good beers, it could still be more complex, but this is a beer worth seeking out. Thanks to Plunkett for introducing me to this fine beer.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

My first Coronado brew. Will not be my last.

A-Pours a cloudy pale aprricot with a fluffy white head and some sticky lacing.

S-Lots of hops! Pineapple and grapefruit with a mild underlying sweetness.

T-A very nicely malty front, then grapefruit hops and pineapple. Finishes nicely sweet with just a hint of Belgian yeast.

M-Medium bodied and a bit sticky.

D-Dangerously drinkable. Does not taste like 9% ABV.

HV