Idiot IPA | Coronado Brewing Company

coronadobrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by scottoale on 05-09-2007

Ratings: 1,504 |  Reviews: 396

Got a bad one with no carbonation and a bunch of crap floating around in it. =(

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

2.11/5  rDev -46.2%

Pours a clear, dark orange color with a thin head and lasting lace. The aroma is fruity, mainly grapefruit with a hint of dough. The flavor is grapefruit and has doughy and orange notes. The mouthfeel is medium. Coronado Idiot IPA is a decent beer, not a hop bomb like some in the style, much more drinkable. A great way to take the heat off from a chile beer. Recommended.

2.2/5  rDev -43.9%

Poured into pint. Thanks to John for sending me this one...

A darker color than I like-- an orangey copper color. Small whitish-tan head is gone quickly. Virtually no lacing left behind-- sure, some clumps cling to the glass, but they return to the body with the legs. Five sips in, there is almost nothing left in terms of bubbles.

Smells sweet and malty. A little dirty and earthy and piney. It seems like there was a little tropical fruit and citrusy grapefruit... But those seems stale and faded.
The flavor fairs slightly better than the smell, but only slightly. Sweet mess of malts up front with earth and pine. Decent bitterness-- just wish this had the flavor to support it.

A bit undercarbonated and oily on the feel.

This isn't awful, but it isn't really good either. I hope this is just a bad or old bottle (of course without bottle dates, it's hard to tell!). I'd be happy to edit this review after trying the beer again.
For me and my money, this beer misses the mark in a big way. I'm pouring out the rest.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Had on tap and poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a nice golden orange color. There is a snall tan foam head with sufficient lacing.

S: There are a ton of hops. Floral and citrus hops dominate but there is a vague underlying malt character. Mostly a bready malt.

T: There is some floral hop character throughout. Not as overpowering as expected. Not much malt back bone to this either.

M: Leaves a bitter biting taste on the palate.

D: This is a good DIPA and many hop heads will enjoy it. I love hops, but did not 'love' this beer. It is definitely worth a shot but I would not seek out again.

2.29/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle received in a trade from jgap.. thx meng!

- Big fluffy white head... lacing all over, down to a steady half-finger... clear dark caramel brew.. looks well carbonated.

- Smell is a bit off on this bottle.. diacetyl.. bit buttery.. some spicy zesty hops still exist.. bitterness present.. caramel sweet malts... but the diacetyl is overpowering.. perhaps an older bottle. no freshness dating.

- I'm going to crack the other bottle in hopes that it isn't as struck w/ diacetyl.. because this one is..

... this second one is a touch better, but is still rather loaded with diacetyl.. more citrus notes are there, and caramel... fruity, zesty.. but still tastes like a shot of movie popcorn butter was shot into my glass..

- Medium bodied, slightly syrupy.. sticky... overall nat bad, well carbonated.

- I am guessing with the flavors that are left... that this is a killer beer. The hint of citrus and hops from the second bottle let's me know that this beer is a great one. Coronado is. But the shop that sold these two bottles failed at rotating them, or getting rid of old stock... or just not handling them well... because I had to unfortunately drain pour both bombers. I hope to get some fresh ones again soon. Perhaps I will edit my review on this in the future.

2.47/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

The colour is gold (9 EBC), the liquid is clear. The two finger head slowly sinks down leaving no lacing on the glass.

The smell is bitter with some harsh notes, hints of metal and resin. Pine wood, some citric fruits, metal, earthy notes and a dusty sweetness.

The taste is smooth with some exotic fruits and lemon-lime. Some bitterness, but the strength is more APA than DIPA. Semi-sweet notes of cookies, resin and honey. Light body. The aftertaste is dusty with some exotic fruits and metallic bitterness in the background. Rye bread and fruit candy in the finish.

The carbonation is medium strong, the small bubbles short lived. The liquid is quite light.

An empty DIPA.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Right down the middle across the board. Pretty disappointed given the price I paid for a bomber. Not very hoppy at all for a DIPA, and just heavy in general. Wouldn't buy again. Not bad, but certainly not good either...

2.52/5  rDev -35.7%

2.7/5  rDev -31.1%

This is my first review. Went to the British Beer Company. Asked for this and they asked if I wanted a sample. I said no, I've never had a bad IPA (kind of like Pizza, it has to be really bad not to like it.) I can say I've has many IPA's and did a x-country road trip so has some local ones. Anyway, to me this was almost undrinkable. It tasted more like whiskey, than beer. And I don't like whiskey. Anyway, I'm probably not what you'd call a connoisseur (I like Dale's Pale Ale and Long Trail IPA). Is there a reason it tasted "bitter"? (to use another reviewer's term).

2.72/5  rDev -30.6%

A: Pours copper, impressive cream colored head.

S: Herbal hops, seems a bit fadey. Malty, grainy, sugar...boring.

T: Sweet malt base accented with grassy, piney hops. Lots of generic bitterness, not much fruit zing. Sugary, east coasty, fully played out. The store clerk said this "just hit the shelves last week", I actually hope thats not true.

M: Thick, chewy..medium carb.

O: I got excited when I saw this at the liquor store...oops. I think I payed a premium too. I guess I'm the "idiot"?

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%