Idiot IPA | Coronado Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by scottoale on 05-09-2007

Ratings: 1,508 |  Reviews: 397

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up from a new craft beer shop. Imperial ipa is my favorite beer style so I'm always trying new ones.

Appearance - Gold/copper color, very small head, very minimal lacing

Smell - Tropical and citrus fruits, sweet malty smell, caramel I think.

Taste - Strong grapefruit and citrus taste. Some light pine, tropical fruits, and sweet and caramel malt tastes as well. Very dry and bitter finish. I like it a lot. Unlike most others' reviews I find the hops to be at the forefront of the taste and the malt taste is not as strong. I quite like it. Leaves a kind of bitter citrus aftertaste that begs for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Kind of light feel, nice crisp carbonation though. Pretty good, nothing bad here but nothing especially noteworthy.

Overall - I wasn't that excited to try this beer after I read all the reviews... I pretty much said to myself "damn, another ipa that's way too malty." HOWEVER, I don't find most of the other reviews to be accurate. This is an awesome hoppy imperial ipa. Superb hop tastes yet very balanced at the same time. I will be buying this again for sure, and will definitely recommend it to other ipa lovers.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a golden orange body with one finger head and a little bit of lace with an intense piney, citric hop aroma. The taste mimics the nose as it is very dry and very citrus hoppy but only thing that detracts from this beer is the lack of balance as the malts are overpowered and don't really show up at all.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.71/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured to SN IPA glass

A: a very nice golden orange color, with a thick off white head that leaves spotty lacing.

S: disappointing. Mostly sweet malt, with some pine and faint citrus.

T: see caramel malt, light citrus and pine. Basically like the nose. Lingering bitterness.

M: medium, creamy mouthfeel. Nice crisp carbonation.

O: meh, just ok. Wouldn't buy again. Maybe I got an older bottle? There is no date on the bottle.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%