Idiot IPA | Coronado Brewing Company

Added by scottoale on 05-09-2007

Ratings: 1,508 |  Reviews: 397

3.77/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The place I purchased this suggested this to me. I don't know if they were just trying to get rid of it or they genuinely liked the beer, but two salespeople mentioned it to me. I am a big hoppy IPA kind of guy. This one was not a bad beer, but based upon the suggestion, and comparison I thought it would be in the same range as Sculpin, to me there was no comparison. Sculpin is a much better beer.

Appearance: Orange almost a bit hazy, very little head, nice color.

Smell: Not as hoppy as I would imagine based upon the 4 C's the bottle claims the brewers put in the beer. Four C's meaning four C named hops, I won't list them here but its on the bottle for reference.

Taste: Not much going on here. Maybe it is a good intro IPA, but my palate has evolved into something that can handle a more aggressive hop profile.

Overall: This is not a bad beer, good intro/gateway IPA, but not all that great.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a shaker. First impressions: pale copper with an earthy malt aroma and just a hint of citrus - Not overwhelmed at this point. Make it through the single-finger foam and as the scent hinted at, a medium caramel flavored malt and some hayseed hops with the scales tipped towards the malt. And the follow up? A million little hungry bitter bugs biting the back of my tongue, and like the Energizer Bunny they keep going and going and going...

Not really what I had hoped for from a 2xIPA, and not a top-shelf IPA, but not bad either. Would't turn one down if someone bought a round but wouldn't add it to my shopping list either.

(Still going!)