Idiot IPA | Coronado Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by scottoale on 05-09-2007

Ratings: 1,503 |  Reviews: 396

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Coronado's Idiot IPA last week for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer at a recent beer fest and I thought it was a pretty solid Imperial IPA and I thought I would pick up a bottle to review. so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks nice, it's got a similar look to their other beers. It poured a lightly hazy golden color that took on more of orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end it and left lots of patchy lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, the color was nice and the head and lacing was very nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up with some fruity hops sticking out the most and they impart some citrus rind and light tropical fruit like aromas with some earthy and light green onion like aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, biscuit malt. slightly grainy, and caramel malt like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. The aroma was nice, but I could have gone without the green onion like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same fruity aspects that they did in the aroma with no single fruit sticking out the most and there's some light piney and light green onion like flavors. Up next comes the malts which impart pretty much the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the biscuit malts are a little lighter and the caramel malts seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's just a very light boozy flavor followed by higher amount of medium bitterness that was right on the border of being highly bitter and it had a dry, fruity hop and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but i still could have gone without the green onion aspect.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly sticky, not too crisp, dry finish, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but I think it could have used a little more crispness and carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of a Imperial IPA and I think that if it didn't have that light green onion aspect it would be a pretty good example of the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, slightly sticky, not too crisp, dry finish, slightly filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, I think one is about enough for me and I don't really have the urge to drink another one a row since I think the green onion aspect would start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, I thought it was a very nice looking beer, it's just how I would expect a good imperial IPA to look. What I like the least about this beer was the green onion aspect, it held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't buy this beer this beer again, since there's so many other Imperial IPA's that I like more, but I wouldn't turn one down. I can't say I would really recommend it, it's worth a try, but I can't say it's a very noteworthy Imperial IPA. All in all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't a bad beer by any means, but I just can't get into this green onion hop aspect that I seem to be getting fairly often from these West Coast Style IPAs and any hoppy beers that come from Stone. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little work and no green onion aspect this would be a good Imperial IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a dark cloudy gold with a half an inch of foam. Smell is very hoppy. Taste is more malty then hoppy with a slight Carmel taste to it. Lightly carbonated with a slight feel of bubbles on the tongue. Overall it's a very good beer and would definitely buy again. #t6pp

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%