Thomas Creek Octoberfest | Thomas Creek Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by veech on 10-15-2006

3.8

4.92/5  rDev +29.5%

I am spending a slow Sunday catching up on the beer backlog and ramping up to Th' Stillers game at 1300 and I have been on a Stout/Porter/Oktoberfest/Marzen kick for the last couple of days. Word has it that I may get my hophead taken away if this keeps up.

From the bottle: "Sink the Status Quo."

I Pop!ped the cap and began with a heavy-handed pour that produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a beautiful Deep-Amber/Light-Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. The nose held a pleasant biscuity maltiness, which is what I want in the style, not a malt bomb! The taste was Goldilocks-Oktoberfest/Marzen! Just right. It had a light sweetness balanced with a biscuit dryness and then a hint of grassy Noble hops. Perfect! The finish was semi-dry and just right for bringing me back from an unwanted sugar rush. The Germans would be proud of this American-made version. I know that I am! Pass me a pretzel.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a nice malt and hop aroma with some spice tossed in.
Appearance- A clear golden colored brew with a large slightly tan head.
Taste- A very malty flavor, I really like the taste.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation has a dry finish.
Overall- I really like this beer, thankfully it is brewed fairly local so I can acquire it.

4.14/5  rDev +8.9%

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz. Bottle says 6%. Copper colored pour, just a thin layer of white head.

Aroma, some malt, herbal hops, that typical lager smell which I am chalking up to the lager yeast.

Taste, a solid herbal hop presence. Turns malty, caramel, cocoa and a light toast. Toasty bread finish. Really was surprised by this. Very nice.

Heavy side of light bodied, adequate carbonation. Could drink more of these than most other Octoberfests.

One of the better ones of these I've had in a while.

Bought a six pack on 10/3/2012.

Definitely looks the part of an Oktoberfest beer in terms of color, so good there. The smell was very similar to what you get in most O'fest - a little bready, slightly sweet (caramel). The mouthfeel is different than most in this style; more carbonation than I'm used to, but it settled down as the beer sat for a bit. I didn't mind the bubbles, just wasn't really expecting them.

Taste is classic O'fest with a touch more hops than some. Not as sweet as I expected, which makes it a little more drinkable and prompted me to have a second.

Overall a really good beer and something I'll buy again. Thomas Creek definitely has my interest right now.

I sampled many Oktoberfests yesterday and this was a pretty solid effort at the style. A: Auburn copper color with light carbonation S: Style appropriate with malts dominating the nose T: Slightly sweet malts and grain with low hops M: Nice viscosity and smoothness D: Very high as you could fill stein with this beer again and again. The brewer and his wife were a blast to talk to as well. Cheers Thomas Creek.

Thomas Creek Octoberfest from Thomas Creek Brewery