Thomas Creek Up The Creek | Thomas Creek Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by khiasmus on 06-03-2007

3.7

2.01/5  rDev -45.7%

A: Poured a slow, sluggish, deep darkish, murky orange color with a small white cap which quickly resedes leaving very minimal dirty white bubbles

S: Big caramel and breadiness with a hidden pine and citrus element

T: Immediate malt bomb; caramel and bread dominate start to finish. There is a inital orange peel and pine resin which try to break free. No dice. The beer is heavy, sticky, a bit buttery as well, a messy concoction I would not even know how or what to call it besides a Strong Ale but not a IIPA

M: Big body, heavy on palate, bittering boozey mouthfeel, sticky and off

O: This beer needs to go back to the drawing board.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

4.75/5  rDev +28.4%

1.59/5  rDev -57%

A - Light colored pour with a white, airy head. Didn't like the color much - golden but with an off tint.

S - Bitter, bitter, bitter. Not appealing to me.

T - A ton more bitter. IPA to the extreme. Couldn't discern any more flavors. The aftertaste was not skunk or rotten, but was not pleasant, and took several sips of water and swishes to get it out.

M - Coated my mouth in a film which intensified the aftertaste.

O - It's not just a clever name! The hops in this are intense. It's only for IPA lovers.

IPAs have never been for me at all. I wanted to try this because of three points: I rarely buy them, I assumed from the name this would be very hoppy, and the high ABV. Gave it a shot, glad I did, reaffirmed my view of my tastes. I see what the brewer is shooting for and I'm sure will please the hopheads.

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Pours a medium to dark ruby color with a thin tan lacing ring. This looks more like a strong ale than an IPA.

S - Subdued dark, ripe tropical fruit, some carmelized candy malt, and some alcohol.

T - Carmelized toasted candy malt and warm alcohol and if I REALLY reach, there's some tropical fruit buried about 12 feet under if I really concentrate.

M - Thick, full bodied and velvety on the tongue.

O - It would benefit the brewer to start dating their bottles because the first experience leaves me with the impression that's it's either poorly brewed, an old bottle, or label it a "Barleywine" instead. In any case, my first experience with a Thomas Creek beer leaves me hesitant. In its current state, it's not an "experience" and more like "get drunk and wreck sh*t in a glass". Had the label not been marked as "Extreme IPA", I would have called this one a Barleywine that sits somewhere between the U.S. and the U.K. style. I will convince myself of that so it doesn't go down the drain, this is nothing close to an Imperial IPA, not even in the ball park.

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- pours a garnet with a 1 finger light beige head. Small waves of lacing remain on the glass.

S- sweet candi sugar, dark fruits, tobacco, some citrus bitterness.

T- dark malts, dark fruits, candi sugar, slight citrus, citrus rind bitterness. Caramel, tobacco, and leather characteristics similar to a Barleywine.

M- full body, medium carbonation. Abv is noticeable but the beer is not hot.

O- very peculiar beer. No resemblance of an ipa, except some bitterness, not even a American Barleywine. Resembles a English barleywines hopped up. Lower rating due to the lack of resemblance to the style.

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

I had never heard of this beer, just saw the 12.5% written on the tap handle and had to try it.

A- Deep mahogany red with an impressive light tan head that stuck around.

S- Layers and layers my friend. Lots of rich, thick, caramel malt, some toast, spicy alcohol, strawberry esters, and of course a big dose of citrus from the hops.

T- This stuff tasted almost like unfermented wort. Sweet, dense, bitter, lots of caramel, toffy, ginger bread, very spicy hop character, strong and surprising strawberry character.

M- Dense, sticky, thick, viscous... etc.

O- Much more like an American barleywine than a double IPA. Overwhelmingly rich and decadent. Everything a big beer should be. Would age wonderfully I'm sure but I prefer beers like this fresh as can be. Also a shout out to Cape Fear Wine and Beer for serving this in full pints at a great price. Made my evening.

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%