Thomas Creek Class Five IPA | Thomas Creek Brewery

thomascreekbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 05-29-2008

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

At our house, we use a 10-point scale. For this particular beer our ratings are as follows:

Her - 7.5 Warm. Heady. Carbonated. A little "brown" but good!
Him - ?

(Not sure why He didn't make any comments/notes about this brew. With no mention of piney-hoppiness from her, chances are he didn't hate it.) Cheers!

bottle poured into mug.
A-Golden color with 1 inch head, some lacing.
S-Floral, some banana,caramel and bread
T-Citrus,caramel, malts, light pine
M-Medium body, good carbonation, nice hoppy finish.
O-A easy drinking beer. Not bad at all. Not the best of the style, also has a bit more malt than some other IPAs. Would still get again. Nice S.C. beer.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Buy Rite in Jersey City recently, having never tried any of the Thomas Creek beers before. I thought this might pack a punch since this had "Class Five" written on it but as it turned out, this was a poor man's Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Not a lot of alcohol to speak of here but that accompanied a mouthfeel and taste that was underwhelming as well. This may pass for an IPA in Dixie but for most other parts of America, this would leave a lot to be desired.

This poured a light copper with a minimal amount of head that didn't last long. The same could be said for the lacing that slide down the sides of my pint glass after every sip. The aroma was that of citrus and mango hops and the taste repeated those, without any warming effect or feelings of booze. Some resin here too like the beer that I mentioned above but without the buttery texture or lingering bitterness in the end. This never felt like an IPA from start to finish and there needed to be more earthiness or a metallic tinge to this for me to even consider this as one.

Even tough this was an IPA categorically, this felt like a session beer. I could have had a few in a sitting if there wasn't anything else lying around but as it turned out, I only bought one of these. While this wasn't watered down or not crafted well, this didn't hold up well in a very competitive style. It's only worth a go if you love IPA's and just can't get enough - not that this would satisfy the cravings of a hophead.

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've rafted on three class five rapids in my life. Each one is an unbelievable experience. To name a beer after the second highest rapid rating is a pretty lofty expectation.

I poured this beer into a tulip glass and immediately had about a finger of foam. The foam dies down pretty quickly into a ring around the outside. The coloring on the Class Five is a brownish-orange.

Off the top I get a little bit of orange from the hops. There is also a little bit of flowery presence to this one. I would expect a much higher hop forward presence than I am getting on this one.

The flavor is surprisingly unbalanced. The malt and hops are not playing off each other very well.

I was not really happy with this one. I was hoping for something more than this. I don't think I will buy another bottle/draft of this beer.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%

Bought a six pack while in SC for the holidays. Im trying to keep my beers in my basement (about 60 degrees F) now as opposed to my fridge in the hopes that more of the flavors will be exposed. 12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A -- very light copper color with a very fluffy white head that went over the top of the glass without spilling over the side, which was very cool. It is very, very clear. No haze to speak of.

S -- I thought the smell was pretty hoppy, leaning away from citrus and towards a kind of woody/resiny scent. Big malt nose too, for an IPA anyway.

T -- Pretty good. Again, it's hoppy, but not so bitter with hops to make you go "Wow! That's super hoppy." And again, more of a piney/resiny hop taste than a fruity/citrusy one. Probably more like an east coast version of a British IPA. Nice biscuity notes too.

M -- Good mouthfeel, nice carbonation. Feels soft and a little thick.

O -- I would say very drinkable. A quality ale on the hoppy side.

Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this at the buttonwood last night. It replaced thier dopplebock which as of 10/26 they were still serving so the class five should be fairly fresh. And this was a new brewey to me I was looking forward to trying it out.
This beer came to me with a nice looking amber color and a dense 1/2 inch head.
Ididn't notice the carbonation. the aroma was light and leaned toward sweet malts. I couls pick up traces of citrus hops.
It tasted pretty good considering my environment with a more pronounced malt taste. This beer seems to be more towards the tradional as apposed to a west coast IPA.
Drinks smooth and clean and not really all that bitter,
Very drinkable and quite flavorfull.
The buttonwood is in a touristy area of Bucks co with probably no requlars to help roatate the taps so you get what you get.

3.41/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep copper color with little to no head. Smells of sweet hard candies, toffee, bready and hops. Flavor is lacking a bit, and was disappointing after the nice aroma. This one is mostly bready malts with a hint of grapefruit from the hops. This could benefit from a little more conplexity, maybe some more fresh hops. Flavor falls a bit flat, with a slick mouthfeel and medium low carbonation.

Thomas Creek Class Five IPA from Thomas Creek Brewery