OBP Toasted Coconut Porter | Thomas Creek Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by mikesgroove on 08-16-2010

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

4.41/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Dark amber/ruby brown pour from 12 oz bottle into SAPP with thin beige head; chocolate and coconut aromas - coconut becomes more pronounced as liquid warms; lite porter/malt with coconut flavors; lite, crisp mouthfeel; very good, lite and refreshing, and there is coconut here!

4.33/5  rDev +28.1%

I may have a new favorite beer. I had been wanting to try a coconut beer, so I picked this up real quick when I saw it.

It doesn't have a lot of coconut flavor, but I was okay with that. It has an overall great porter taste. Goes down smooth, not quite creamy though. I'm not sure what the 'toasted' part means either.

I love the appearance. A nice darkness, like a chocolate stout. And a good lacey but foamy head that sticks around the whole time.

I will definitely buy this again

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - dark brown with a short brown head that has good retention

S - roasted malts, toasted coconut, some coffee

T - caramel, toasted coconut, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee-like bitterness

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

This is a rather good beer. I wasn't expecting much because the bottle said "Brewed for Orange Blossom Pilsner LLC". I must say I was impressed. First, the coconut is actually noticeable and doesn't get overpowered. Second, the rest of the flavors come together to form a solid porter in their own right. This beer actually has more depth and complexity than I had anticipated. This is probably worth checking out if you see it around.

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great smell taste is easy and smooth

4.19/5  rDev +24%

My wife picked this one out. Poured into a pint glass from a bottle from a 6-pack purchased for $9.99 from City Beverage in W-S. Some have said that the coconut is absent from both aroma and taste, but we discovered it in both. The aroma is very roasty as a good porter should be. The toased coconut is there, although subdued. Also, a slight coffee note. The appearance is a used motor oil black with not quite a finger head, and minimal lacing. The taste is quite nice, very smooth. More coconut here, but still subtle, and lots of roasted malts. Overall, a great brew that my wife and I enjoyed very much and would reccommend should you stumble across it. Prost!

4.08/5  rDev +20.7%

I picked this up on the suggestion of the distributor at the store. I figured, "What the hell" and picked up a single bottle.

This brand also offers an orange blossom beer that I saw everywhere while I was in Florida.

I poured this beer in the vacation tulip (I only have one down there). It had a nice, black color. It wasn't very thick, though. I would almost say that it was akin to a black IPA in texture. There was also some very light foam that didn't retain for very long.

Off the top I got roasted coffee, but there was no coconut. On my first taste I would say that this is a very good porter on its own. Just at the end of each sip I could pick up the coconut. You get a decent amount when you pull air across the beer or swish it in your mouth.

Overall this is a very drinkable porter. I'm not sure that the coconut gives or takes anything from this beer. I would recommend picking up a six pack of this. I have never heard of Thomas Creek before, but the next time I am in Florida I will try more of their stuff.

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black hue with a 1-finger white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving no trail down the glass.

S: Chocolate malt aroma with hints of toasted malts.

T: Similar to the smell there a good chocolate and toasted malt aroma that is sweet and smooth.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Delicious porter – but where is the coconut?

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

OBP Toasted Coconut Porter from Thomas Creek Brewery