Thomas Creek Conduplico Immundus Monachus | Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Conduplico Immundus MonachusThomas Creek Conduplico Immundus Monachus

Thomas Creek Brewery

3.9

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

Ah the synthetic cork. Not only did it fail to properly preserve this beer as was evidenced by some dark oozing and mold around the top but it was also a total bitch to remove, requiring a rabbit ear corkscrew.
So the beer was nearly dead flat, oxidized, but still retained some flavor and aroma. It was not a drain-pour.
No head to speak of, but a dark BSDA color, not quite stout or porter black.
Aroma was tame, some dried fig, malty, toffee.
Taste was a little too malt syrupy sweet, making the yeast hard to detect. Kind of like an overly sweet Scotch ale. No identifiable hop bitterness.

Thomas Creek has had some adventurous beers that have kind of missed the mark but are still an interesting drink (Up the Creek). They really need to reconsider using the synthetic cork. It works great for wine bottles but they screwed something up here. I will continue to try Tom's beers but will avoid the synthetic cork & cage.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

I visited the brewery and tasted their offerings. This one is one of their atypical selection. I sampled a small glass a the brewery and feel in love with it. Upon getting ready to leave a grabbed a growler to go. This beer pours dark, with a good level of carbonization. The taste, and after taste is awesome. There are so many things going in in this one. It is dark and pours with a tan head of about two fingers. Reminiscent of porters and stouts, this one is one a could drink every day during the fall and winter. Goes great with a good cigar on the patio during the evening after a long day at work. This would be my favorite Thomas Creek offering in their atypical series followed closely by the banana split stout. This is available in champaign type bottles in stores. If you run across it, pick one up. You won't be disappointed,

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

I tried this from a growler. I live in Greenville, SC so it was fresh from the brewery that morning at the local Beer and Wine growler fill location. The brewery is right up the road from my house.

Appearance: It was nearly black. Lots of carbonation. But the head was thin and dissipated fairly quickly which was expected with the 10% ABV that this beer has. It was a beautiful beer to look at.

Smell: At the front were strong chocolate notes. Tobacco notes, medium Belgiany aroma. Some prune and date aroma. Hop presence was mild. There was a hint of some mild bitterness. Definitely nothing like the supposed younger brother of the "Dirty Monk" who's flavor and aroma would be comparable to a medium to strong dark IPA and also one of my favorite beers ever.

Taste: First impression was champagne. The effervescence was the first thing I noticed. It strongly tickled my tongue. The sweetness was the 2nd thing I noticed. This is very similar in sweetness to Stone's Barley Wine. Again, nothing like "Dirty Monk." My feeling is that it is way too sweet. It's sweet but dry. The Belgiany flavor definitely comes across. The alcohol is not prevalent in the taste but certainly warms as it goes down. The chocolate flavor tastes almost like real chocolate, but the sweetness was also as strong.

Mouthfeel: It was actually a fairly thin mouthfeel. I think the effervescence was at fault here. I was expecting this to have a chewier mouthfeel but it seemed very thin.

Verdict: After looking at it and smelling this beer, I was expecting a much more appetizing beer. I have been licking my chops trying to find an affordable bottle of this beer, and finally I found the 64oz growler fill for $9 bucks. I was not ready for a barley wine. It is not advertised as a barley wine, but that is certainly what it tastes like. Every barley wine I've ever tasted, this is definitely a relative of of that style. I find that it is no way related to the "Dirty Monk" except for having Belgian in the name of the style.

If you're looking for a barley wine, then this would be a good choice for you. But if you're looking for a higher ABV of the "Dirty Monk" then you will be sorely disappointed.

Overall, it's an okay beer. But it's taking me a while to drink this. I can usually get through a growler on my own in a couple days drinking a 12ozer, or more, at a time, no matter the abv. I've had high ABV imperial IPA's and polished off a growler in one sitting, but I'm drinking this 6oz at a time because that's about all I can handle of it. If you're not a sweet beer lover, the best way to drink this is to eat some cracker jacks or a hand full of chocolate chips before drinking it. That will cut the sweetness substantially so that you can enjoy the other flavors.

But in the spirit of full disclosure, I like hoppy beers and bitter wines. I'm not a fan of sweet beers or sweet wines. But I think what turns me off the most with this beer is that it is billed as higher ABV of "Dirty Monk" and it ended up being the farthest thing from it.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

The cork required a vise to pop, yet there was some leakage in shipping. Some oxidized flavour, no carbonation. Very brown, mollasses with yeast, and towards the end of the bottle tart and hoppy. Rather a cross style, something of an imperial porter, and a Belgian. Worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip on 8/26/11

Thanks to PDXHops for the bottle

"Kinda like an Imperial Belgian Black IPA."
-MbpBugeye, who could tick no more

Medium brown; much darker in the glass. 1 1/2 finger head of toasty brown foam is riddled by large bubbles. Thin layer of bubbly retention. Thin strands of lace.

Aromas: roasted chocolate and coffee; Belgian-style yeast; earth; tangy dark fruit notes blend into the mix; very light spice; hints of tea leaves; no trace of alcohol. Not gonna lie - it smells kind of odd.

Tastes odd, too. However, it works for the most part - mainly because it tastes just like it smells (funny how that works, huh?). Sugary; dark fruit notes - raisins, plums. The fruit is juicy on the finish. Burnt chocolate and some roasted coffee undertones. Dry earthiness picks up towards the finish. Some tobacco notes.

Full enough body with a slick viscosity. Moderate carbonation is more fluffy/fizzy than it is prickly. Fruity residuals.

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a deep brown color with a hint of amber only when held to light. A large tan head billows from the body and takes its time to settle. Decent lacing left behind on the edges of the glass.

S: Roasted malt, some chocolate and coffee, with a hints of dark fruit. A bit of leather and tobacco are in the background as well. Pretty dynamic aroma that is quite pleasant.

T: The taste follows the aroma pretty well. Dark chocolate, roasted malt, and some coffee come to the fore. A bit of smoke and tobacco with a constant, yet subtle, sweetness that carries throughout the glass. Not what I was expecting, but I really enjoyed it.

M: Pretty full-bodied with a lower level of carbonation. Creamy and slightly sticky, but not cloying.

D: Really an unexpected and tasty treat, and one of the only beers from TC that I've thoroughly enjoyed, thus far.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Reviewed out of a medium snifter glass.

Appearance: Poured a 1 finger head with creamy and frothy head that literally coated my glass. Looks as though I had a porter float. Jet black in color.

Smell: I get a ton of dark candied fruit with layered dark sugar slices. A bit of roastiness on the tail end of this sensory experience.

Taste: Opens with a sweet figs, dates and prunes and mottled Belgian yeast. Roasted malts, with a hint of cold and slightly over brewed coffee. These two flavor profiles in a sense come together and almost show signs of perfect union but reject each other leaving the palate confused. The abv is barely noticeable till the finish. A booziness manifest along with a slightly sticky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The palate is left a bit dry.

Overall: When I read the style I was extremely excited to pair this with dinner. After dinner I allowed my palate time to rest and reassess this brew. I would love to try this on tap. I recommend this to those seeking a new style with a unique execution.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

750 ml caged and corked bottle, $12.99. Served in a snifter, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head that stayed around for a little while. There's also a decent amount of lacing left on the glass. The brew smells like dark fruit, roasted malt, anise, bittersweet chocolate, coffee, molasses and a bit of spice. The taste is similar to the aroma, but there's the addition of some tangy fruit and brandy flavors. It's a unique tasting brew, but I like it a lot. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's a bit creamy and coating, and also has moderate carbonation. I think it's a good Belgian style imperial porter. Definitely worth a try!

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Dark blackish brown, thin layer of tan foam on the surface. Not much lacing in the glass. Persistent ring around the edges, not a lasting head of foam though.

Anise, clove aroma, oxidized dark malt, vinous, dried currants.

Tangy flavors of vinous cherry and currants, light smoke, tobacco leaf. Chewy and full bodied with some perceptible alcohol. Light prune sweetness, some roast and bakers chocolate. Lingering roast, light spice and tangy fruit. Oxidized malts come through in the taste a bit. It's ok, best shared, nothing too wild really.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Dark mahogany with a small off-white head.

A unique aroma and flavor that is hard to characterize.

The flavor is sweet ... a bit too much so despite some tartness.
Spicy, but without having much attractiveness or identity.
More prune flavor than any beer I can remember.

O - A rich and interesting brew that is better than the description above portends.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

First and foremost, this was an annoying beer to open. It started fizzing on the drive home but I couldn't drink it right away. I left it in the fridge for a few hours and when I got home I had to use pliers to uncage and uncork it. Shockingly, it had tons of carbonation yet.

750 mL bottle into a St. Bernardus chalice.

A: It pours very dark brown with a finger of khaki creaminess.

S: Dark roasty malts, with some tany and sweet dark fruits, and cherries.

T: It has a wonderful balance of sweet, tangy, and roasty.

M: It has a creamy but-not-too-thick body with some stickiness.

O: This is an absolute gem but I hope the bottling issue gets fixed.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a barely translucent dark chocolate brown with a fairly thick and frothy, if not too persistent, tan head. (BTW, somebody please tell Thomas Creek that those plastic corks SUCK - they are a bitch to get out of the freakin' bottle!) Malty aroma has tones of molasses and caramel and a brandy-like fruity note. Satisfying flavor has molasses, malty, caramel and brandy tones, as well as hints of semi-sweet chocolate and coffee. It is slightly sweet, balancing the sharp alcohol edge nicely. Thick-bodied texture is syrupy and somewhat tingly, leaving a finish that has tones of brandy, molasses and maple syrup. Screw repentance and enjoy this one!

Pours a cloudy dark brown with two fingers of dense latte colored head that settles to a persistent quarter inch with a ring of splotchy lace left behind. Smell: toasted nuts, brown sugar, a little fig, mildly roasty. Taste: dark fruit - prune and raisin, almond, heavily toasted dark bread, dark brown sugar. Medium bodied, creamy, mild carbonation. Good, not great.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Mikesgroove included this beer in one of our recent trades. I love getting things that I haven't heard of, thanks Mike.

I'm just going to refer to this one as Monachus to avoid typing the whole name, I always gloss over names that are more than one word when I run into them.

The body is a very dark brown with ruby highlights and a little bit of yeast to it. The head is a finger and a half thick, and brown in color. Good retention, but not very much lacing.

This is a pretty unique smelling beer. I swear it smells like a dry champagne right off the bat, which is both interesting and pleasant. The roasted malts are obvious after the fruity smell.

Very fruity. Although I do pick up notes of the dark fruit that characterizes this style, such as dates and plums, I find that lighter fruit is more plentiful. A little bit of the sparkling white wine flavor sticks around, adding white grape skin to the flavor profile. I also pick up pretty noticeable flavors of pear and green apple. Even a hint of tartness comes along with those. Behind the fruit is a little bit of clove also. The malt profile has some body to it also, with some sugary sweetness, bits of bread and a big roasted character.

Carbonation is little above average here, and the body is a little bit below. I have to say that it suits this beer though.

This is my first beer from Thomas Creek and I was pretty impressed. I very seldom find American-made Belghian styles that are actually worth buying, but this one might be an exception if I could get my hands on it. The fruit character is excellent, especially in the aroma.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast