Banana Split Chocolate Stout | Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Brewery
South Carolina, United States
thomascreekbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Dark chocolaty stout with caramel, toffee and roasted malt flavors. Crisp and smooth with distinct banana overtones.

Added by mikesgroove on 01-18-2011

Reviews: 44 | Ratings: 168
Reviews by jjamadorphd:
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

My first offering from Thomas Creek and it ain't too bad attall...

When I saw this at my local liquor store I just couldn't pass it up, and now that I have had it, I am glad I didn't, though it wasn't as spectacular as I had hoped. The beer looked great from the get-go - beautifully black, tan head, very good lacing - it started off as very special. The scent had just enough of a hint of bananas (which I love) that got me even more excited. But then I experienced the mouthfeel - though medium bodied, there was an awfully bitter aftertaste, enough to detract from the overall pleasantness of the beer. I did enjoy this, and I will keep an eye out for more in the future, but I certainly wasn't 'wowed' as I had hoped.

3.11/5  rDev -16.8%

On tap at the Mellow in Greensboro.Poured nearly opaque black except I noticed a few rays of ruby when held to the light,a tight formed 1/2 finger tannish colored head atop.Aromas were really muted with some dry roastiness only standing out.Not much banana flavor on the palate,just some bitter chocolate and dark roast,almost a clove-like flavor in the finish,could be mistaken for a Belgian yeast strain.Its ok but again the banana flavor really isnt there,and its not really very complex.

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a Belgian snifter where the very dark brown body was opaque and topped by a short head that soon reduced to a thin ring and partial top coat.

Aroma: pleasing but hard to describe beyond some chocolate and faint banana.

Flavor: chocolate, bananas in various stages of ripeness, and baked bread made with dark roasted grains - i that order of strength. Lightly and appropriately sweet: likely to be less sweet than most will expect.

Feel: very smooth; creamy and soft but with good light carbonation.

3.42/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours dark, near black, with cola brown edging. Cocoa powder colored head that peaks at just under a finger's width. Sub-par retention, dissipating rather quickly to reveal a thin, broken layer of suds across the surface. No lacing.

Smell - Strong fudgy notes. Lesser nuttiness. A bit of roasted malt. Faint banana.

Taste - Almost the opposite of the nose. Very little fudge flavor; so-so chocolate character. Banana character flashes and fades rather quickly. Lots of roast malt by mid-taste and plenty of earthiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Near full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy enough, with a slightly dry finish.

Overall - A fair attempt at what must be a difficult concept to pull off. Banana split? Not so much, and though some of the basic flavors are there, they never come together to deliver the promise on the label. A bit too earthy, while the 'dessert' flavors you'd expect are fairly distant. In all it's not a terrible beer, but don't expect it to taste anything like the banana split you'd order from your favorite Ice Cream parlor.

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Growler poured into a Chalice.
A-pitch black with 1 finger beige head that dissipates quickly.
S-Chocolate, slight banana, raisins, coffee
T-Sweet malts, chocolate,coffee
M-Medium/full body with full carbonation
O- Cool idea. Not bad tasting. Was hoping for a little more banana flavor but understand that comes from the yeast, and to much yeast causes off flavors. Anyways would get again.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.46/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap at the brewery into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark brown color with a small white head. The aroma is sweet malt, chocolate and banana. The taste matched the aroma. A very good beer.

3.61/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks goes out to my local doppelgänger for sharing this one with me over Easter weekend. Served from growler into a Stone nonic. Poured black with a two finger brown head that subsided to a one finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, and slight banana. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, dark chocolate, and slightly roasted malt. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. Very easy drinking for the most part. You can definitely tell what Thomas Creek was going for in this one. The mouthfeel was just a little thin for my liking though. Flavor and aroma were pretty good for the style though. Expect to see this one in bottles soon as a continued part of their atypical series...

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Tap at VGBG.
Pours nearly black with a light tan head. Sticks pretty well.

Aroma has some roast, dark chocolate and definetely a banana component.

Banana is quite prevelent, which normally I don't care for much as in the usual Belgian stout, but this one worked better for me. More chocolates, malt and light molasses work through the estery notes. Finishes with some light roast and cocoa.

Pretty much in the middle body wise. Coat the mouth well and drinks very well. Abv is well hidden or not that large to begin with.

3.59/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, banana. Taste is roasted malts, some banana, very light chocolate. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, I was hoping for more chocolate and banana, but still a good beer.

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

750 ml caged and corked bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. Aroma is nice but weak, it smells like roasted malt, dried bananas and chocolate. I think the taste is the mostly like the aroma, but luckily the flavors are stronger in comparison. I taste roasted malt, bananas and chocolate, but there's also some dark fruit noticeable too. However, the banana in this brew wasn't as strong as I was expecting it to be. With that being said, it's still a tasty brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick, smooth and goes down easy. Moderate carbonation. Overall I liked this brew. I'm not sure if I'd buy it again at $12.49 a bottle, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Creamy,khaki colored,1 finger head with nice retention.Black in color,with no light showing through the glass.

On the nose I get banana and chocolate (banana split).Backed by some dark roasted malts.

The palate follows the nose,banana,chocolate,and dark roasted malts.

The body is medium / heavy,with a dry finish.

This is an excellent dry stout!!! Dry stouts aren't typically my favorite,but this one rocks!!!Not sure how this one got labeled a "sweet stout"...To me this is definitely. DRY STOUT.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

My husband purchased this beer because he's a sucker for pretty much anything banana flavored. But he couldn't drink much of his bottle, so me, the champ, drank the rest. It wasn't a horrible stout but I didn't get much banana flavor. Our bottle was also very silty. After seeing all of the particulates in there, we both kind of lost our appetite for this beer. I read the bottle label and it says it's a stout with dried banana added. The tiny bits were banana pieces which you could feel as you drink it. Being the champ that I am, I did finish the bottle but after filtering it through a fine mesh strainer. Maybe it was just a bad bottle we got?

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%