Banana Split Chocolate Stout | Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Brewery
South Carolina, United States
thomascreekbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Dark chocolaty stout with caramel, toffee and roasted malt flavors. Crisp and smooth with distinct banana overtones.

Added by mikesgroove on 01-18-2011

4.5/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle bites the dust in today's attempt to eradicate single-O Porters, Stouts & Old Ales from the insidious Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. Did this come to me courtesy of local, in-person trader, tone77? I am willing to give him the credit, since he has a recent review, but mine seems to have been in the queue for a while.

From the bottle: "Forgive us, our transgressions."; "The Atypical Series"; "Stout with dried bananas added". The label depicts a redheaded half-human, half-banana redhead who has already been partially peeled, toasting a satyr with her long, black-gloved right hand. It all looks like a detail from a Breughel painting! I may need a beer to decompress. Also, the grammar suggests something other than biblical. What am I about to unleash? Is this Pandora's bottle? Eeek!

I Pop!ped the cap & sat back, awaiting the apocalyptic arrival, but nothing untoward occurred, so I continued on as best as I could. I was gentle with Banana Babe, but once she was in the glass, I swirled her around like nobody's business. She raised a fuss & a finger of foamy, light-tan head with moderate retention, but she quickly fell away to wisps, leaving me to my own devices. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like the spiced banana bread that I made just before the Thanksgiving break of high school back in 1980. It was Basic Foods, but we had been in the kitchens for a couple of months & now we were being allowed to branch out. The project was Banana Bread, with a core recipe, but we could play with it, if we dared. I stirred in black pepper and cumin into my batter & when it baked, it really got people's attention! Mouthfeel was medium, kind of light for the style. The taste was phenomenal & it all got eaten at the table that year, bolstering my desire to be a cook (actually, a baker). This smelled of spiced chocolate & bananas, a great combination! The taste was all of the above - milk chocolate, bananas & a light spiciness that seemed familiar, but was not readily apparent. Black pepper? No. Cumin? No. More like a light curry. OMFG! Curry on bananas? With chocolate?!? You could win on Food Network with that combination! I suddenly have the urge to bake a loaf of Chocolate Curry Banana Bread. Finish was semi-dry, mostly due to the spiciness that I was getting. Oh, let's do this again, real soon!

4.46/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap at the brewery into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark brown color with a small white head. The aroma is sweet malt, chocolate and banana. The taste matched the aroma. A very good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Smoky, chocolaty aroma has a strong overtone of banana - hey, I love bananas. It pours a deep, warm sable with a decent tan head that doesn't last but leaves some decent lacing. Smoky flavor has chocolate and banana notes - banana split indeed! - plus hints of caramel, bread and coffee. It is a little sweet, but not cloying, and rather lip-smacking. Smooth, heavy texture is a bit syrupy and somewhat fizzy, leaving a satisfying smoky, tingly finish with a strong banana note. Go bananas over this one!

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

Another nice find at The Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro, NC, this brew is an opaque brown color with a decent creamy brown head that settles into a thin but full cover with fair lacing left on the tulip glass throughout. The aroma is moderately boozy malt vinegar and yes, a polite banana bread woven into it. The flavor brings a very interesting mild Dr. pepper malt and banana ice cream blended into a coffee idea that is really tasty. It's a fairly creamy, near satiny feeling concoction with subtle carbonation. It offers a great combination of tart sharpness and mellow banana malt sweetness. It's not at all over the top gimmicky. I get some oatmeal and some touches of light charcoal. It's very "edible" and drinkable at the same time. It looks like I had my taste nearly at the same time as the last reviewer but I obviously got some different takes on it. Perhaps different tastes or maybe a different point in the keg? I do love what I call "milkshake" beers, like Young's Double Chocolate Stout and this was definitely in that category for me. Not terribly thick but it had some teeth. It could be a dessert beer and more, just plain tasty. I hope I get to try it again some time.

4.21/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.17/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, black, opaque, thin khaki head,

S: Banana, bubble gum

T: Banana, bitter chocolate, sweet malts

M: Medium, heat from alcohol

O: A good sweet stout. I really like the banana in this. Something different that really works for me.

Banana Split Chocolate Stout from Thomas Creek Brewery