Banana Split Chocolate Stout | Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Brewery
South Carolina, United States
thomascreekbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Dark chocolaty stout with caramel, toffee and roasted malt flavors. Crisp and smooth with distinct banana overtones.

Added by mikesgroove on 01-18-2011

Liked:
3.69/5
Alströms:

1.5/5  rDev -59.3%

2.37/5  rDev -35.8%

Tastes like those banana candies you get from the vending machine for a quarter. Way too artificial tasting.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.84/5  rDev -23%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I find this one needs more bananas just doesn't work for me

2.89/5  rDev -21.7%

A: Medium vicoscity... pretty much zero head. Color is super dark black.

S: A bit of banana is in there for sure. Some chocolate bitterness. A bit of sweetness.... Some alcohol comes through.

T: Seems a bit out of balance. Got some banana, chocolate, coffee, but then theres a spice note. Alcohol comes through a lot I think due to how thin the beer is. Not bad but not great. An uncontrolled bittereness which usually happens with chocolate beers.

M: Very light. Aggressive carbonation. Poor flavor development. The weakest point of this beer.

Overall this is a pretty average beer. It has some nice banana but otherwise it way out of balance. Also it's so thin It's hard to drink at times. There is also a spiciness to it which is severely out of place. I'd pass on this one.

Ok I had to come back as my beer warmed to edit this review. This beer got so sour and acidic as it warmed it was impossible to finish and down the drain half my growler went (it was only a 32 oz so don't judge!) Seriously bad.

Was just ok. Not complicated and sort of generic.

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%

My husband purchased this beer because he's a sucker for pretty much anything banana flavored. But he couldn't drink much of his bottle, so me, the champ, drank the rest. It wasn't a horrible stout but I didn't get much banana flavor. Our bottle was also very silty. After seeing all of the particulates in there, we both kind of lost our appetite for this beer. I read the bottle label and it says it's a stout with dried banana added. The tiny bits were banana pieces which you could feel as you drink it. Being the champ that I am, I did finish the bottle but after filtering it through a fine mesh strainer. Maybe it was just a bad bottle we got?

3.08/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer had a nice dark look to it and smelled of bananas and chocolate. However, I did not like the taste. I did not taste chocolates or bananas, just a bitter malt. I would not drink again.

3.11/5  rDev -15.7%

On tap at the Mellow in Greensboro.Poured nearly opaque black except I noticed a few rays of ruby when held to the light,a tight formed 1/2 finger tannish colored head atop.Aromas were really muted with some dry roastiness only standing out.Not much banana flavor on the palate,just some bitter chocolate and dark roast,almost a clove-like flavor in the finish,could be mistaken for a Belgian yeast strain.Its ok but again the banana flavor really isnt there,and its not really very complex.

3.15/5  rDev -14.6%