Castaway Chocolate Orange IPA | Thomas Creek Brewery

thomascreekbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by ChainGangGuy on 02-01-2012

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

Deep ruby red with a tan head...so this is an IPA?(actually looks awesome). I'm getting mostly an orange fruit scent with a chocolate blending in. I will tell ya, the flavor is actually pretty decent, there's some slight fleeting sweetness that's overtaken by a chocolate bitter ending, pretty flavorful if you ask me. It bordering on a caramel malt flavor from the chocolate but not overdone...I think I'm liking this more than most and I'm an IPA head. Medium carbonation and a somewhat sticky and coating mouthfeel from this brew. Overall, a nice different take on an IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.74/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

My thanks to my local, in-person trader, tone77, for this bottle! I am in the midst of the eradication of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody & this is my second Thomas Creek bottle in as many days.

From the bottle: "Sink the Status Quo."

I Pop!ped the cap & began a moderate pour since I was using a smaller glass than usual & I did not want it overflowing. It actually evinced a pseudo-cascade that quickly formed just under a two-finger cap of foamy, rocky, light-tan head with excellent retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & closer to 17. The nose had a light citrusiness along with a breadiness and a light sweetness that I probably would not have readily identified as chocolate. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was kind of odd - hoppy, but with a citrusiness that was more like orange than the standard grapefruit. The bitterness was okay for the style, no complaints there, but it just did not strike me as what I think of as an AIPA. It was on the finish that I got the subtle chocolate-orange flavors mentioned on the label. It was a very subtle distinction, though. Finish was dry, more because of the hops than anything else. It was an interesting interlude, but I feel satiated for the time being.

3.59/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cola color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of chocolate, light oranges. Taste is hops, mostly pine, light citrus, chocolate is much less pronounced than in the aroma, mild to moderate bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and decent beer.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.59/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from the tap at the brewery into a pint glass. The appearance is a clear dark brown with orange highlights and a small white head. The aroma is oranges, chocolate and some yeasty bread. The taste is chocolate malt with some hops at the end.

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: A deep, somewhat amber tinted, brown with a two-finger tan head. Decent retention and leaves a solid ring of lacing.

Aroma: Very subtle cocoa and orange notes. Both blend together nicely with neither overpowering the other. The theme throughout is bitter hops.

Taste: Overall it tastes more like a bitter brown ale than what you'd expect from an IPA. That said, I like the fact that the chocolate/orange combo isn't in your face, if anything I could use a little more. Bitter hops and caramel malts in the background in addition to the cocoa and citrus.

Feel: A lingering, piney bitterness coats your mouth. Dry with minimal carbonation.

While not your typical IPA, this is a welcome change from the norm.

3.71/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love the idea, but this is a pretty liberal use of the word ipa. I don't know if this is a little old or something and some of the hops have faded out in it, but to call this an ipa is a stretch I think. it looks like a murky brown ale, not much head or clarity, but it has a great nose. I love the dry cocoa in here, not at all sweet, and the citrus does come through as well, not too flavored, but unique for sure it seems. tastes great too, although I am again looking for the ipa. the chocolate and orange elements are proportioned excellently, they are both well defined but not dominant. its almost like the orange aspect could come from hops, although I don't think it does. maybe that's where the hops are getting lost a little, but I think they could have about doubled the hop factor in this in order to make it seem more like an ipa. chocolate and chocolate malt driven, absolutely not hop driven, but I still like the way it tastes more in a brown ale context, and think its nice around holiday time. my first from these guys is an interesting one, looks like they do a lot of curious flavored beers...

3.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Fuck this motjerfuka like a gay slave in the asss.

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.04/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Pours like a brown ale with a thin white head. Nose is odd, not much orange and a waft of burnt cocoa. Taste is more of the same with a bit of astringent hops on the finish. Overall a very odd beer

3.82/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

First I would like to say that this was actual not a bad beer at all, it was actually quite good. But it was FAR from what it is advertised to be. The chocolate and orange were barely there at all. If I were expecting just an IPA I would have rated this beer higher, but I was very disappointed considering the lack of orange and chocolate flavors.

4.06/5  rDev +14.4%

3.71/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%