13 Rebels ESB | French Broad Brewing Co.

13 Rebels ESB13 Rebels ESB
3.52/5
13 Rebels ESB13 Rebels ESB

French Broad Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
frenchbroadbrewery.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Added by Bierguy5 on 05-18-2004

4.3/5  rDev +22.2%

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

One of the overlooked CANtributors to The CANQuest ™ is one of my local beer people, soon (eventually) to be a “Character” in my column – Justin C. He does a good job of looking out for new and different CANs for me in his travels and this is one with which he recently returned.

From the CAN: “13 Rebels ESB Ale is an Ameri[CAN] interpretation of Britain’s Extra Special Bitter.”

I would love to know the story behind both the beer’s name and its label, but it was time for more important things, like the Crack! I love a brimful CAN and when this one revealed itself, I was ready to go. I initiated an inverted Glug, leading to a near-rebellious two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. I sat back as the battle raged, sticky lacing appearing in the wake of the fighting. Rebellion should not be without casualties. The first rule of The CANQuest ™ is to talk about The CANQuest ™. Color was a slightly hazy Amber (SRM = 7.3, thanks to the brewery for providing that bit of 411). Nose had a grassy honey-sweetness that really put me more in mind of a lager. Mouthfeel was medium and although I was still getting that honey flavor, it was accompanied by an earthy maltiness and an intensely grassy hoppiness (IBU = 42). Holy rebelliousness! I CAN drink this all day! The grassy bitterness was offset nicely by the biscuit maltiness on the tongue. It was on the finish that it really came together, though. It was like summer in the country with biscuits and honey after mowing the grass. I really am a fan of this one and wish that it were more widely available.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

A big shout out to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bready, a bit of hops. Taste is also bready, some caramel sweetness, a touch of hops is present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, while I am not a big fan of this style, this beer was tasty and enjoyable.

Well out of six, my father had one and I had one and he said, "tasted squirrely". I reply, "always called that skunk".

I am hearing that, yeah indeed it could be. Given that I am in the blast radius of this place, I will hang this here and then check them at the source.

If need be, I'll revise the review.

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

13 Rebels ESB from French Broad Brewing Co.