Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wee Heavy-er Scotch Style Ale | French Broad Brewing Co.

Wee Heavy-er Scotch Style AleWee Heavy-er Scotch Style Ale

frenchbroadbrewery.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by wcudwight on 01-16-2006

1.46/5  rDev -58.5%

Thanks to gford217 who sent me this as part of a four-French-Broad package within a much larger BIF package this spring. My wife has been on the scotch ale train, so here's the second night in a row with a scotch in hand.

Ummmm...let me say before I start that I've really enjoyed the first two French Broads we've opened. This one, not so much.

Pours a dusty amber, little to no head. The smell sends red-flag-shivers up my spine. It's nothing like a typical and/or good scotch ale, but a wave of buttery badness. Ugh.

This...is...terrible. As if someone took a scotch ale & poured a panful of melted butter into a vat of beer. I haven't been formally introducted, but this could only be a terminal case of diacetyl.

Drain pour. I know these guys make good beer, this was a huge disappointment.

1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

2.03/5  rDev -42.3%

French Broad Wee-Heavy-Er Scotch Style Ale has a thin, beige head, a red-brown, somewhat bubbly appearance, some ascending bubbles, and minor lacing left behind. The aroma is of an odd sweet-sour, some peat, a touch of smoke, caramel candy, and brown bread crust. Taste is of the same strange sweet & sour sauce, moderate bitterness, lemon, lime, and bread. Mouthfeel is on the light side, and French Broad Wee-Heavy-Er finishes mostly dry and not unlike Bud Light Lime, in some respects.

RJT

2.11/5  rDev -40.1%

Bomber poured into New Belgium globe.

A- Brown, with only tinges of red. Doesn't look like a wee heavy at all really, thus the 3. Minimal white head.

S- After the first smell I checked the bottle to make sure it is what I thought it was. Lots of roasted malts, but smells like a porter or a stout with a good dose of coffee. None of the peatiness that I expected. To me that peaty smell is a must for the style and it just isn't there. The smell isn't bad, but judging by style, it is not what it should be, and I rated it accordingly.

T- Again not much peat to it. Taste is of light roasted malts, again like a coffee stout. Taste is subdued vs. the nose. No real hop presence, but a slight coffee like bitterness. No alcohol to note, which is the best part of it, and that isn't good.

M- Medium, but light for the style

O- If I was given this beer blindly and asked what style it was by BA listed styles, it'd take at very least double digits to guess wee heavy. It tastes like an average stout. It just isn't what it claims to be (and isn't very good otherwise) and I judged it accordingly.

2.22/5  rDev -36.9%

Murky brown body with a crescent moon of extremely thin head. Looks like a dunkle!

Very sweet grape-like malt character in the aroma, not much else.

Very noticeable oxidized right off the bat (wet cardboard) Hot alcohol.

Mouthfeel id moderate/high carbonation.

This is the first thing I've tried from this brewery; and it's not good. Overwhelmingly oxidized to the point of being undrinkable.

2.24/5  rDev -36.4%

2.24/5  rDev -36.4%

22oz bomber into pint glass.

Deep brown hue, changing to mahogany toward the bottom. A one finger light tan head that settles to a thin cap.

Light sugary aromas meet an out of place sour cherry aroma (found in other reviews).

The tartness is back in the flavor, with an interesting contrasting sweetness, and a maltiness like dark brown bread. Medium bodied, high carbonation.

Not sure what the deal is with this one. Rather than a smooth malt bomb, this one is a tart and fizzy brown ale.

2.36/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

This beer pours up a big beige head and has a very dark bronze color when held to the light. It is very clear before pouring the sediment into the glass and still beautiful once the sediment is stirred up. The aroma has plenty of caramelized malt, a nice toasted aroma and a wonderful earthiness.

The flavor completely threw me for a loop. There is only a hint of the expected caramel flavor and plenty of sour flavor. Not quite puckering but definitely along the lines of many sour Belgian beers I've tried in the past. Nothing at all like a wee heavy and honestly almost undrinkable. The mouthfeel is also off. It's too thin for a big Scottish beer. I think I'll be able to finish this glass but there is no way I'm pouring another. Hopefully this is just a bad batch and all will be well when I try this again in a few months.

2.38/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottled May 11, 2010.

Pours clear dark copper, brown & ruby in the glass with a one finger light tan head that leaves a few drippy spots of lacing and reduces to a foamy cap and ring.

Aroma is...odd and overall unpleasant. Rubber, smoke, leather, wood...quite yeasty, grassy, herbal, maybe some caramel and fruit underneath but the funk generally covers most of that up. As it warms up the dark fruits, cherries and grapes come out a little better.

Flavor is some caramel and dark fruit, smoke, somewhat metallic, spice, toffee, better than the aroma but still not that great.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, sticky, medium to high carbonation.

I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something in the aroma that really turns me off on this one, the flavor and mouthfeel don't do much to save it. Glad it was only a bomber and I didn't get stuck with a 6-pack.

2.41/5  rDev -31.5%

Serving: Bomber into a tall glass.

A: Poured a clear caramel brown with about half an inch of thick head. A fairly good amount of carbonation is visible.

S: This beer has sort of a sour smell to it in addition to the maltiness. I'm not really a fan of the smell.

T: An immediate, sharp sour note gives way to an earthy, bready flavor. I like the secondary flavors but I do not like the sourness at all. Definitely not what I was expecting.

M: Feels ok in the mouth but the sour gives rise to a pucker factor.

D: I do not like this beer at all and I will not finish or buy it again.

2.42/5  rDev -31.3%

22oz bottle, Early/Mid May 2010 bottling
Yup I think we have problem Huston. The bottle split two ways into Sam Addams glasses the brew had a good two finger tan colored head. The brew had a clear brown colored body.

Now things go down hill the brew defiantly had a sour smell to it as well as a taste it did come of as a sour Brune to me. So I will say it was drinkable but, not as a wee heavy. I will revisit this one if fortune allows .

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 12oz snifter.

Pours a deep amber, almost crimson. A flurry of head quickly rises, but dissipates just as fast. A decent amount of lacing rings the glass.
The smell is some what bright and fruity. There is a bit of the normal caramel maltyness in the background. Sweet is what I smell...
The taste is very similar to the nose, bright tangy sweetness with an underlying amount of the caramel malt I am looking for.

Rather thin, carbonation while looking full, is not very present.

Overall this is OK at best. I think this bottle may have been well past its prime.

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%

2.73/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a very sweet malt and vanilla aroma.
Appearance- This beer is a light brown color with a small tan colored head.
Taste- Has a mellow malt flavor with a mix of vanilla, i did not care for the aftertaste.
Palate- A heavy bodied beer with mild carbonation and an oily texture.
Overall- I have not jumped on the "Scotch Ale" bandwagon yet. I have tried several and none of them have blown me away yet. I will try this beer again once I have sampled more of this style.

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

2.77/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Dark brown with little to no head. No lacing.

Smells of malt, some raisins and spice.

Sweet malt flavor with a little bitterness. Not a very strong flavor, almost watered down.

Mouthfeel is too thin and watery.

A little dissapointed, the taste that comes through is good but there was not much of it. This was too weak and thin.

Wee Heavy-er Scotch Style Ale from French Broad Brewing Co.