Panil Barriquée (Sour Version) | Panil

Panil Barriquée (Sour Version)Panil Barriquée (Sour Version)
3.96/5
Very Good
Panil Barriquée (Sour Version)Panil Barriquée (Sour Version)

Panil
Italy
panilbeer.it

Style: Flanders Red Ale

This is the version imported to the US.

Added by Phyl21ca on 10-23-2006

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%

It's difficult to tell the difference between all the varieties of this beer on BA. I think this is the one I had. It was labeled Batch #11, 2009. Reviewed in Jan 2011. Poured from 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Medium brown and clear, but not crystal clear. Very little head even on initial pour. Almost immediately it fades to a ring of single bubbles around the edge of the glass. If it wasn't for the steady streams of tiny carbonation bubbles that constantly rise through it, you could mistake it for iced tea.

S - The initial aroma is classic leather and horse blanket, mixed with sweet fruity notes like Juicy Fruit gum. As you breathe deeply you get some oak and smoke. Very complex and intriguing.

T - The taste is similar to the aroma. No real malt presence. This is all about the sourness, but it is not overpoweringly tart. There is some oaky, smoky wood in the background that rounds out the flavor. No hop bitterness or flavor, or alcohol notes.

M - The body is light and has a sparkling carbonation feel. No alcohol burn.

D - This is a very drinkable sour beer. It is not astringent or excessively "barnyardy". It has a nicely balanced fruitiness and sourness with some wood-aged complexity. Hides the alcohol well.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

The first time I had this, it was during a tasting that featured quite a few much more aggressive sours, so I decided to hold off on reviewing until I was able to try a glass on its own. Here we go:

Poured into a tall goblet. Has a semi-cloudy brown appearance; not quite crystal clear, but not murky either. No particulate matter noted. Foam isn't crazy-high, but does retain well.

The beer smells exactly as I would expect - lot of balsamic, and wood. A little rotting apple, cola, root beer as it warms. But mostly balsamic. Not sharply balsamic - it doesn't "smell sour" like a Cantillon lambic; it merely smells "tart." Minor plastic-y notes.

This is a very solid, uncompromising, straight down the middle Flanders Red. All the hallmarks of the style are here - balsamic tartness, little woody vanilla and that tough to describe leathery "cellar" character, green apple that shows sweet, briefly, even some minor flowery hop bitterness. No one component overly assertive, great sweet/tart balance and complexity. Reviewing to style, I feel very justified in awarding a 5.0. You can find American interpretations of the style that take the sour further, but that's not what I feel this is trying to be - I think this is supposed to be an attempt at a traditional Flanders Red, and to that end, its flavor is outstanding.

Sharply bubbled, though perhaps not near as quenching as a Rodenbach.

I think I can say with pretty fair certainty that most appreciators of this style would not have trouble taking care of this 750 on their own. It's going down pretty easily for me.

Oh, by the way, this is an '09. Expensive, but I say worth the odd purchase every now and again.

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

Bottle was from Batch #10 in 2009. Poured from a 750ML Bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Murky reddish brown, almost looked a bit unfiltered, when held to the light looked like an amber red.

Smell: Like previously stated, the smell was extremely complex. Definitely able to smell the brett, and the sour tart cherries. Exceptional smell. A little funky, but nothing out of the norm for a sour.

Taste: Pretty Sour, but not overly sour. You can definitely taste the fruit in there. Quite tangy. Leaves a nice taste in your mouth.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent enough, not flat at all.

Drinkability: At 8%, I could drink this entire bottle very comfortably. Easy to drink.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Pour of a brownish amber with a healthy white head. Bottle appeared to have gushed at one time, but luckily I do not perceive any terribly off flavors that I can determine were from oxidation.

Aroma of sour green grapes, oak, and funk

Taste of sour ale / green grapes, lemon, flanders funk, and french oak flavors with a bit of horseblanket. There is an underlying spicy flavor that I think is cardamom that seems to up the complexity a little bit and is enjoyable. This is a pretty thin flanders red as many are and is representative of the style, light carbonation with some lacing.

Tasty sour ale, - I would like to try a more 'fresh' example as this was a 2007 release. Batch #8 bottle 1779.

3.88/5  rDev -2%

2009 Batch 11
Pours brown with dark ruby highlights. Decent light, spotty head and lacing.

Dry oak, dry fruit, musky. Sour grape. Perhaps grapefruit?

This is most definitely oak aged, lots of wood and earthiness in this. The sour in this is certainly not lip puckering, but very pleasant. This should only get more interesting with age.

No heat or strong carbonation. Very light on the palette for a sour beer.

Very nice.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

from my self appointed flemish week. This was a extremely well balanced bit of cherry, bitter wood cognac, earth and tart. The pour was as expected, with a nice bright head that doesn't stick around for the whole glass but has some retention. Nose is one dimensional tart cherry, some sweet malt but not as bready as expected. Palate is balanced with tart that is back with black fruit and red wine. The finish is a bitter kick of cognac and herbal rosemary. Mild tobacco bitter and an untraceble abv.

had it again... vintage 2005 bottle in the summer of 2011... a exceptional flemish red. intense wet saddle leather saltiness... tart of balsamic vinegar, cherries, tobacco and tannins that i've only come across in wine. excellent.

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Served in a mug

Thanks to TMoney2591 for letting me try this style for the first time.

As I would assume this beer pours a nice garnet red color with a finger of off white foam. The smell is raspberries, strawberries, and sour oak. Since I know that was the intent of this beer to smell like that I will give it the benefit of the doubt, though I must say candidly it really was not my favorite. The sour oak flavor comes through even stronger in the taste. The fruit characteristics are still there, but instead this is a bit more intense and souring on the tongue. Again this from what I've been told is by design. Aside from the sourness the mouthfeel was syrupy but fairly close to the target. As far as drinkability it's pretty easy going for a beer, but due to my opposition to the taste I have a large problem rating it any higher than I am. I won't drink it again, I'm sure it's good for those who love sours.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a mug.

2009 vintage, batch #11, bottle #268, from my beer-of-the-month club. It pours a murky amber that heads toward brown in the center, all topped by a finger of off-ecru foam. The nose comprises funky red grapes, moss, kale, cardamom, and lemon wedge. The taste follows this path, along with some oak and sour blue raspberry, which all then tapers into some sweet blueberry and black grape in the end. The body is a solid medium, with a light carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. Overall, a decent sour brew, though nothing entirely exciting or great. Nice to experiment with, though.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle was from Batch #11 in 2009, I forgot the bottle number. Poured from a 750ML Bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Murky brownish red, thought it was more of a Flemish Brown than a Red. Not very clear, but yet not yeasty.

Smell: Where to start, very complex. Sour Cherries with some muskiness almost a rotten fruit smell too. Very funky and very hard to pull out all the aromas.

Taste: Sour, but not overly sour, slight sour cherries in the front with a very irony backend. Almost blood like?? The taste quickly dissipates in your mouth and leaves a clean palate.

Mouthfeel: I wish every sour beer was like this one. Thin and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: At 8% you would never know it but by the end of the bottle my body sure did. Very drinkable.

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip. Bottle is from batch #11 in 2009, bottle #1412.
A: Pours a nice murky reddish-brown with 1/2 tan head that quickly dissipates. (4)
S: Sweet berries, sour, oak, spicy hot cinnamon, and cherry notes. Pleasant aroma. (4.5)
T: Unfortunately, does not follow aroma. The wood note is off (almost tastes rotten). Minerally. The sour is nearly completely gone here. Overly sweet fruit notes. (3)
M: Soft feel with light body. Missing the sour bite. (3)
D: Not a good example of the style. Would not recommend it. On the plus side, the 8% ABV is nearly imperceptible. (2.5)

2016 vintage. Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip. Batch #21, bottle #688.
A: Pours a murky cola brown with 1/2 inch fizzy light tan head that quickly recedes. (3.5)
S: Sour red berries, oak, hot cinnamon, cognac, and cherry. (3.75)
T: Extremely tart. Tart cherry, sour red berries, vinegar-like acidity, cinnamon (not as hot here because the tart and sour notes overpower it), green apples, cognac, oak, and a hint of lime. (3.75)
M: Extraordinarily tart. Also strongly sour. Some fruit sweetness. The combination of all this makes me think of underripe fruit. Light body (drinks lighter than ABV would suggest). Lingers and matures a bit on the palate with more oak, cherry, cognac, and berry notes here. (4)
D: If you can get beyond the bracing tartness, it opens up to a nicely complex and refreshing brew. Not particularly one I will seek out, but interesting to try. (3.75)

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured In: Wine Glass
Purchased At: Steve's (Madison, WI)

Batch 11, 2009.
Bottle #2323

Appearance: The pour was a red bistre color just reaching a fingers worth of head, though it disappears within seconds. It's very murky; I was expecting it to be a bit more clear than this. The bottle was well rested too, so it wasn't at the fault of yeast. Nonetheless, I'm fine with a beer not being clear. No lace on the side of the glass.

Smell: I've sampled this beer before at a Belgian style tasting, and I have to say it was quite different then. This bottle has a whole lot of funk going on. It's like I'm sticking my nose into a bacteria cesspool. I was hoping it would grow on me, but unfortunately the funk was a bit too much. It wasn't a barnyard funk like a Brettanomyces would contribute, it was hard to point it to something specific. There was a nice subtle tart cherry and plum aroma, but it was pretty well overpowered.

Taste: The tasting started out with a nice sour cherry, vanilla and oak flavor resting on top of some brown malt, but, again, it quickly turned into an overwhelming amount of funky and musty flavors. I still can't be certain that this bottle was completely okay, as I don't remember it tasting like this at the Belgian tasting I was at.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of the beer was spot on. Lightly carbonated and a thin body.

Drinkability: I split the bottle with two other people, though they weren't enormous fans of this beer either. I don't know that I'd pick it up again, though I would love to try this again if someone else was cracking it open.

4.87/5  rDev +23%

Bomber From Batch #11 2009 (bottle #1087), poured in September, 2010.

My guy at Argonaut turned me onto this little number one night when I came in for a bomber of New Belgium's La Folie. The $20 price-point is a bit staggering ... but well worth it.

L: Murky, Red, Muddish. Little head. Beautiful.

S: Musty, bloody, sour, earthy.

T: At least 6 layers. This beer just goes. Blast of sweet hops and carmel up front, fades in stages through earthiness to a gorgeous sour finish. Lingers ...

F: Perfect for a sour ale.

D: Amazing. Seriously. Amazing.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: The label reads "Batch #11/2009/Bottle #437; I am a sucker for stuff like that. It pours a dark, somewhat reddish amber. A moderately rough pour produces only a smallish off-white head, but man...

Smell: ...the tartness nevertheless explodes out of the bottle as if it's been waiting for you to knock. It's almost acidic, but not in a bad way. Some slightly mellower notes come through in the background, probably as a result of the barrel aging.

Taste: Tart cherries are front and center, but they are not at all overpowering. The mellower oak notes that were hinted at in the nose come through here and keep things from getting out of hand. It feels somewhat wild or Brett-like, but at the same time balanced, and finishes with a combination of sour and bitterness (so there are hops lurking in there somewhere), which is in combination quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the the beer. Not too lively, and it lets the beer develop in the mouth. The clean finish drives you to the next sip.

Drinkability: If you like a sour ale, it's huge. If you don't like a sour ale, try this one; you'll probably like it. I'm not sure what a good pairing would be - stinky cheeses, perhaps - but at 8% you'd better pair it with something.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Buford in Atlanta. Batch 11 Bottle 3228.

Pours an almost opaque brownish-amber color with a 1.5-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of dark malts with good amounts of tart cherries and mimlder amounts of vanilla. Also present are slight amounts of tobacco that increase as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Muted dark caramel malt flavors kick things off and are quickly pushed aside by large amounts of tart cherry flavors. Shortly thereafter mild amounts of vanilla from the oak work their way into things. Midway through the sip hints of tobacco make an appearance and carry through to a crisp and moderately tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this isn't the cleanest representation of the style but I'm a sucker for tobacco influences and this certainly has it. An interesting take on the style that's well worth a shot and I look forward to trying the Riserva version to compare.

Final note, the tobacco notes are similar but much more muted and nuanced than the flavors I found from Haandbryggeriet's Akevitt-Aged Porter. A very distinct flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

2009 vintage - batch 11; bottle #1746. Poured from a 750mL bottle into my Rodenbach flute.

Pale brilliantly clear rufous body with a thin soapy persistant collar. Not much lacing, but that's not a big surprise.

Oaky, tobacco-laden, dank, and leathery aromatics - very unique. Smells like cherries deep in the cool hold of an 18th century schooner.

Lightly acidic on the palate with faint red wine vinegar and sour cherry notes; there are also hints of toasted almond and vanilla from the wood, as well as lingerings signs of cognac. Rather wine-like, with a fleeting berry-like sweetness and a "wild" lacto-induced tartness. Very dry moderately astringent, woody/earthy (like a casket?) finish.

While not as sweet as many examples of the style, and more of a "living" product thanks to the lack of pasteurization, this youthful vintage was not nearly as sour as I was hoping/expecting - so while it has more complexity and sense of terroir/craft than even Rodenbach, the latter seems to be a more potent example of the style.

Light bodied, with low carbonation, and significant tannins.

If you enjoy the style, you must try this beer. I don't think this is actually the only unpasteurized traditional brewed Flanders Red, but it does have a singular subtlety among its peers.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

2007, Batch Number 8, bottle #1827.

A nice plum color, bordering on brown. A nice head rose at first and after sitting becomes a spotty foam on top. The carbonation rises through the foam and causes those spots that burst through.

Yep, that smells like a sour ale. A little fruity a little vinegary, very musty/funky. If this had any more fruit smell I'd think it was a kriek.

Sour cherry flavors abound and one would think there were Morellos in the recipe, but there aren't. The sourness is just about perfect and is carries to you with the oak. Fitting since the barrels are what "infects" the beer. The malts display as earthiness and delivers sweetness without being cloying. The finish is woody and dry and leaves behind a very pleasant sour aftertaste. At some point, the aftertaste starts bringing an impression of the skin of granny smith apples. Tell me I'm wrong.

The carbonation level is spot on for the style and the alcohol only makes its presence known in the finish, which is dry, sour and doesn't overstay. But my taste buds wish it would and prompt the salivation glands to continue to flow until I give them more. I had no problem killing the whole 750ml by myself and I could have had another.

I have a habit of trying the top beer in a style or grouping with the first one I get. The first kriek I ever drank was Cantillon and everything else paled in comparison. I may have done it again with Italian craft beers. This is my first and if this isn't the best then what is yet to come should be magnifico! Oh how I wish had some prosciutto and mozzarella to go with this.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

This was brought to the last Madison, BA tasting.

2007 Vintage

a - dark red color. low carbonation.

s - sour raspberry or cherry.

t - holy sour! very tart flavor. dry wood. some fish funk.

m - medium-light body, but the sour rips my tongue

overall - aaah, ok, now I get why people like sours. This was my first real sour experience, and I'm loving it.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

2008 Riserva, batch #10, bottle #1035
Poured in to my Portsmouth Tulip

A: This beer pours a ruddy, deep brown, reddish color with a one finger of sudsy offwhite/khaki colored head. Head recedes quickly leaving minor spiderwebbed lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is of tart cherry, oak, hint of vanilla, and a bit of vinegar.

T: Taste starts with a bit of a red vinegar flavoring to it before moving in to more a more woody, earthy flavoring. Finish is where the tart cherries really start to come through but are nicely balanced with a oak notes.

M: Lighter side of medium body, starts of rather creamy and then becomes very light, almost watery in the finish.

D: Goes down easily, not filling, mild kick, decent representation of style. The mouthfeel was a bit off for me, as it became extremely watery in the finish.

3.82/5  rDev -3.5%

Batch #10
bottle number 1680
2008

A - Reddish brown, somewhat murky, reduces to a ring fast on the head. Light spotty lacing.

S - Tart, sharp, fruity, definite wood smell.

T - Tangy, a little puckering, noticeable wood near finish.

M - Creamy underneath, sharp on top. Nice balance and good carb overall.

D - Not my favorite sour, but pretty drinkable at 8%.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Bottle to try.... Batch #11 Bottle #2094 2009

- Wonderful slightly murky ruby red, slight browns... glowing violet... slightly off white fizzy head... couple fingers down to a thin spotty layer and large ring of lace...

- Slightly spicy... cinnamon, sour tartness.... currants... certainly some oak there... cherry... light vanilla... all blended very well.

- Wonderfully smooth and balanced... not hot at all.. great malt presence which is balanced perfectly with the oak flavors, currant lactic flavor.. spice and cinnamon... clove... plumb... very well rounded.

- Thin, with a slightly creamy texture... light bodied.. only a touch dry.

- Very good sour... impressed. I love the style, and am glad I tried this one.. certainly spot on and delicious. I let it warm up a bit, and poured into a fitting glass.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%

Bottle from Batch 8, 2007, thanks to Nathan in the Sour BIF.

A: The pour is a fairly typical dark amber color with plenty of brown to it. The head is somewhat mild in volume and off-white in color.

M: Quite fruity for a Flanders red ale. Lots of cherries, green apples, and a bit of lemon. Plenty of oak, a hint of vinegar, and some light sweetness.

D: A bit lighter in flavor than I would have expected. The fruitiness translates well to the flavor, as do the vinegar and oakiness. There is, however, a bit of a metallic flavor at times.

M: The body seems a bit thin, but for a sour beer it is a bit more forgivable. Moderate and tinging carbonation.

D: Pretty easy beer to drink, but not all that impressive. Maybe a more current vintage would change things a bit.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

I had this from a 750ml bottle, 2009 batch #11, bottle # 876...The beer pours a dark mahogany, light tan head, ok lacing...The aroma is light a little sour and vinegar, same with the taste but this beer is severly lacking to other great flanders. Lightly tart but not enough punch or vinegar. Really kind of boring and disappointing. Maybe a good flanders red for the beginner.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

A: It poured brownish-red in color with the head consisting of just a thin layer of bubbles on the surface. A light amount of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: There is a moderate sour and acidic aroma in the nose.
T: Like the smell, there is sourness in the overall taste with distinct flavors from the oak barrel aging that lend comlexity, particularly in the finish. There are also some hints of cherries.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate with some dryness in the finish.
D: The beer has a good amount of drinkability, particularly if you like sour flavors.

Notes: Batch #8 (2007 Vintage), Bottle #2680

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%

Year - 2009 / Batch #11 / Bottle #1295

A - A fingers worth of audibly fizzy light tan rich creamy head that quickly fades leaving a similar veil of lacing with a slight thicker ring around the edge of the snifter... Fairly still without any noticeable carbonation though slight side to side tilted with agitate a little bit towards the top of the glass... A dark and slightly brooding mix of cranberry and rusty brown... There's is a subtle glow at the top of the glass resulting from the light that is allowed to permeate...

S - A potent and complex nose... Vinegar... Booze... Dark cherry... Hints of oak...

T - A pleasant interplay of cherries and oak to start... A mix of tannin like qualities and a blistering sourness on finish and provide a long lasting aftertaste...

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied... Some tingly carbonation... Starts with a slight lushness but quickly becomes puckering...

D - A definite sipper... Complex with some distinct red wine like qualities... Loaded with complexity... A bottle with exploring and sharing... However, I'm not sure it's a must try, especially given a fairly high price point...

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Pours kind of sienna with a medium brown around the edges. Head is absent. Even with an aggressive pour. Because of this, no lacing and no retention. Really? The color is nice but that is the only quality here to speak of.

S - Starts out with a sweet fruitiness. Mostly cherry with a malty undertone. Oak quickly comes through as well. Alcohol is present but stays mostly behind the other aromas. Picking up some raspberry but it is very faint.

T - Oak really stands out in the flavor. Tart cherry mixes in well with that. Red apple and grape come through midway. Again, alcohol is there but it doesn't take away from the taste in any way. There is a little bit of mustiness at this point as well. Grape hangs on throughout and gives it an overall feel of wine. Finishes with more oak and a distant hint of candied sugar.

M - Lighter bodied with practically no carbonation. The grape presence that gives a wine like feel helps out the lack of carbonation but only minimally. Finish is tart and first and ends up a little sweet.

D - Drinkability is decent. That is about all that can be said for this one. The flavors seem to work well together even without any suds. The combination of oak, fruit, and earthiness is done pretty well. A 750 ml bottle is no problem in one setting but I'd like to see some changes made before trying my hand at this one again.

Panil Barriquée (Sour Version) from Panil