Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cache La Porter | Pateros Creek Brewing Co.

Cache La PorterCache La Porter
3.6/5
Good
Cache La PorterCache La Porter

Pateros Creek Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
pateroscreekbrewing.com

Style: English Porter

Added by JayS2629 on 08-02-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.27/5  rDev -9.2%

3.32/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.21/5  rDev +16.9%

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 16 oz can into pint glass.
(Reviewed for a 2nd time after trading in 'bad' beers for supposedly good ones).

Appearance: pours with a 3/4" tan head that slowly recedes. Some mild lacing. Color is dark brown and completely opaque. Some carbonation bubbles clinging to sides of glass.

Aroma: off flavor dominates (vinegar?) with a background of some chocolate, bread dough, and a hint of hops and yeast.

Mouthfeel: unpleasant mouthfeel (infected?) with a sour, extremely astringent finish.

Flavor: dominate flavor is an unpleasant off-putting astringency and vinegar. Behind that unpleasantness is some chocolate and roasted barley malt. The hops are hard to pick up because they get a bit lost in the bitter vinegar.

Overall: I returned the first batch of this beer to the brewery, where they replaced it with beer that was supposedly not infected. It was. I had to drain pour the last two.

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

3.56/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured a deep brown color with a rich, creamy, light tan head; nice lacing on the glass. Soft, roasted grain smell with a hint of cocoa. Flavor is an infusion of charred grains, milk chocolate, cocoa, and a slightly metallic hop bitterness creeping through at the finish. Medium bodied; smooth; semi-dry finish.

A respectable porter that won't disappoint flavor-wise although it doesn't break any new ground for the style. It the mouthfeel seems a little weak and watery at times although the smooth grainy sweetness and dark malt flavors make up for any deficiency. Another beer that, after a while, seems to be better than the sum of its parts.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

a real miss for me, and a disaster in the can. the cans have a tendency to burst open, either a cheap can or a carbonation issue. a major gusher this one, amber bubbles ooze out of the can as soon as it is opened. once i can get it settled enough to pour, its all head, airy bubbles piling up over a hazy red tinted watery brown liquid with plenty of sediment. turbid stuff. the nose is metallic like the cheap can, medium roast on the barley, and generally thin. the flavor is the same, with almost none of the complexity and richness of better porters. its also way over carbonated, thin, and devoid of much finish aside from an off and slightly astringent property that is rather unflattering. doubtful if i will revisit this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a- dark brown with decent mocha head
s - roasted malt, coffee, hint of chocolate
t - mostly roasted malt and, despite what can says, notes of medium roast coffee and chocolate. Spicy hops.
m - on thin side of medium
o- I like this beer for what it is...an easy drinking light porter. Better than any brown ale I can think of.

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The Old Lady was like a modern Siren, enticing me to come out and visit her in what I now refer to as CANorado. I made the long journey westward, only to find that my amorous feelings for her were MUCH stronger than her reciprocal feelings for me. Ah, ma coeur! In the meantime, she was a most gracious hostess and a like mind, which made it all the more painful. Towards the end of my visit, I gathered my shopping list and went all over town, gathering and buying CANs like it was my first time. The look on the babe's face when she came down from her place of work to help me stow all of my CAN booty in her vehicle was priceless. She could not believe that I had hauled so much around on public trans by myself nor that my (relatively) small frame could carry it, period. I am like an insect, capable of lifting 1000x my body weight, but I was pretty sore for a few days afterward. This will be my fourth in the wondrous event known as New Beer Sunday (week 445 - Labor Day weekend version).

From the CAN: "Brown Porter-Style Ale"; "Not your typical porter, this is chocolaty, easy drinking, and slightly roasted with a touch of toast. Don't look for the coffee notes you are used to in porters, but rather a nice subtle balance between roast and malt that distinguish this 'brown porter' from the more common 'robust porter' and lend to a quaffable drink year round."

"Cache" means "to hide" in French, but since I am 21+ y/o and The Old Lady is not here to ask for any, I see no reason to hide the porter. The innocuous Crack gave no hint as to what was to come. It was brimful, but unmoving, lulling me into a false sense of security like a snake poised to bite. I began an inverted Glug and the dense, deep-tan/light-brown head was so quick to form that it was quickly getting out of CANtrol! There was a beautiful pseudo-cascading action, but I was more CANcerned with preventing an overflow. By the time that I finished, it looked like I was making a root beer float. Easily two fingers of head above an inky, dark-brown beer that allowed light penetration only at the edges. Nose smelled like a liquid Peppermint Patty - dark chocolate and peppermint and whoever came up with that combo was a genius! I am not big on sweets, but that and chocolate with peanuts do it for me every time. Roasty, coffee-like, smoky notes underlain by herbal minty notes. What?!? Mouthfeel seemed to be on the thin/watery side, but that is such a minor point that I wish that I did not have to even mention it. The taste was more bitter than minty, although I was getting some of that, also. I liked the way that its smoky, chocolaty character really asserted itself, but I found myself wishing for more mint. The finish was closer to a Girl Scout Thin Mint, but it still lacked something. My advice to the brewer(s) is to increase the hops' presence. There was nothing stylistically wrong with it, but it did not live up to its promise based on the nose.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A thanks goes out to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some roasted malts, a touch of chocolate. Taste is of roasted malts and coffee up front, a bit of chocolate at the finish and somewhat mild. feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

4.29/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Some porters are either chocolate or coffee heavy (or both) and can be quite chewy.
This porter isn't all that fancy, and therein lies the attraction for me.

A nice dark brown pour with off tan head. Looks a bit thin contrasted with some American style versions.

Aroma and flavor lean heavily toward a roasted barley persuasion. Hints of chocolate and coffee remain, but baked toffee comes through more so. It tastes like a hearty beer without the high abv or the thickness of other porters. Perhaps this is traditional.

The feel is a tad thin. And while this allows the flavors to be enjoyed, it doesn't hold on to them for very long.

Solid beer

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Cache La Porter from Pateros Creek Brewing Co.