Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wizard Burial Ground | Brewery Vivant

Bourbon Barrel Aged Quadrupel

Added by MasterSki on 11-27-2013

Reviews by the Alström Bros:
3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

16oz tallboy, sample from the brewery.

Deep reddish hue, clear with a thin ring of lace on top. Smells of booze, spice, dark fruit, mild phenols, & cake batter. Thick, full bodied and very sweet. Ripe plums and raisins, bit of taffy, and brown sugar in the back. Hints of barrel, booze, and phenols middle to finish. Quick the treat, clearly a sipper.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a can of Brewery Vivant's Wizard Burial Ground a few weeks ago at The lager Mill. I'm really excited to try this beer since I've never had a bourbon barrel aged beer from Vivant and I liked their Hubris Quad, so lets see how it goes. Released November 2014, but it says 2015 release on the can. Poured from a tall 16oz pint can into a Teku.

A- The can looks great, it's got a good design to it that goes with the age, I think it's eye catching and I thought the picture vivant posted of the wax dipped can was pretty funny. It poured a pretty clear slightly red amber color that took on more of a ruby color when held to the light with a little over a half a fingers worth of bubbly tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, It amazes me how clear it is.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the bourbon barrels being the first to show up and they impart some nice bourbon, oak and vanilla aromas with neither aspect sticking out the most and it followed by the malts which starts off with a pretty sweet malt aroma that goes right into some dark fruits with raisins seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some more malt aromas with some caramel, toffee and candied like aromas coming through along with a light sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, it had good balance, the bourbon barrel showed up nicely and they didn't overpower the quad base.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that has a candied like flavor to it with the malts being the first to show up this time and they impart those same caramel and toffee flavors, but they are just a little lighter than they were in the aroma. Up next comes the dark fruits which have more of a juicy dark fruit aspect to it this time with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Towards the end comes the barrels which impart the same nice aspects that they did in the aroma and it's followed by a really light alcohol flavor. On the finish there's no bitterness with a sweet and slightly tart dark fruit juice flavor that goes into the aftertaste along with some caramel and bourbon barrel flavors. This is a very nice tasting beer, it's unique and it has good balance.

M- Smooth, crisp, not overly sweet, alcohol is well hidden, a little sticky on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a very nice mouthfeel, I thought the crisp carbonation actually worked pretty well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a great example of a Bourbon Barrel Aged Quad, it's pretty much just what I would expect from the style, but in typical Vivant style they put just a little twist on it with more of a juicy dark fruit flavor than most and in the end it made for a really nice beer. This beer had really nice drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, a little sticky, alcohol well hidden, not overly sweet, not too filling and the taste did a good job of holding my attention, I think one is the perfect amount for me, but if I had a lot of them I wouldn't rule out drinking another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, to me it was the highlight of this beer since no aspect was too overpowering. What I like the least about this beer is nothing, there isn't anything that I disliked or would change, but I hope it's much easier to find next year, so they need to make much more of it. I would recommend this to anybody who likes big barrel aged beers and I think it's a must try for any Vivant fan. I would for sure buy this beer again if they release it next year, it was very hard to find this year and I was happy with the two cans I was able to buy. All in all I really liked this beer, I thought it was a little impressive and it met my high expectations, I'm glad Vivant decided to give this beer it's own special release, it deserves it. It's now my new favorite Vivant beer and it's my new favorite Bourbon Barrel Quad, I just haven't had a beer that's tasted like this and it shows just how good of a brewery Vivant is. Great job guys, this is a damn tasty beer, keep up the hard work.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Overall a good brew by Vivant.
2015 canned poured into tulip.

Look- pours a hazy orange with small 2 mm head that fades quickly. Leaves a small residue on the glass.

Smell- Caramel, Brown sugar, Booze, malt, Leather

Taste- Really sweet (I like), Brown sugar, Vanilla, Tobacco, Leather

Feel- Kinda thin, some heat, taste last for a decent amount of time

Overall- Great beer worth seeking. Wish it was a bit thicker though

4.37/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16oz can from IAmJacksHopTongue (thanks man!). 2016 release that I received in a late December 2015 box. Served in a goblet.

Pours a rather attractive murky russet with a finger and a half beige head. Looks dark enough to be opaque but I can see through it. The dense froth is quick to settle to a fluffy collar that deposits what amounts to a stack of lacing rings where that collar rested between sips.

The sweet aroma beckons me as soon as I start pouring. Raising the glass to my nose brings powerful waves of candy sugar, dark fruit, bourbon and toffee. Good stuff.

Taste does not at all disappoint after that nose. Toffee, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruit, caramel, toasted oak, candy sugar, bread pudding and a slight nip of alcohol. It is smooth, sweet and much easier to drink than the double digit abv might suggest.

Creamy, full feel with light carbonation so it seems to coat the tongue. Caramel, toffee and bourbon soaked dates keep things delicious in the finish.

Brewery Vivant has done really well here. Wizard Burial Ground balances most of my favorite aspects of both quad and barrel aging. This one is worth a little effort to try, particularly if you're a fan of the style.

4.54/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful brick red/currant color with a popcorn colored head of 1 finger.

Aroma of caramel, raisin, plum, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Some earthy notes as well.

Aaaaaaand, mind blown. Huge walls of kettle corn, savory raisins, bourbon, honey, hot caramel, popcorn ball, vanilla, and plum. Wow. Wow. Wow. Initially you think it's gonna be too sweet, but then the bourbon pulls it back and hits you in the face with a huge alcohol slap.

Feel is creamy, coating, perfectly carbonated, hot, boozy, and warm.

I'm drinking this in the middle of June but it could be snowing outside for all I care. This beer is cozy. And it's so incredibly tasty. It's like the perfect winter warmer, and it's the best Quad I've ever had.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

$7.49 can, 2016 vintage... bought two of these since I know it's highly sought after, and I figure if I don't like it (I doubt I won't), I can trade someone.

Appearance: A clear copper brown with only a ring of head on top of the beer, and no lacing. Rather unexciting looking -- also much lighter than I anticipated. "Meh" at best.

Smell:Dark fruit (plums, figs, raisins, dates, etc.), vanilla and oak from the bourbon barrels, bourbon (of course), and a little alcohol. Very unique to my nose, and very pleasant.

Taste/feel: Big (in flavor), boozy, sweet, rich, delicious. I'm definitely going to have to keep the other can for myself, I'm thinking. This beer's bordering port wine level of sweetness with just a little less heat. Rushes in with all the flavors at once -- the same from the aroma. Lots of dark fruit, some bourbon, nice accents of vanilla and oak, and a little warmth as well. The feel is really not all that heavy -- about moderate, with a small amount of carbonation. Wizard Burial Ground definitely has a syrupy feel to it: slick, and very sweet... but what else should someone expect from a bourbon barrel aged quad, really? The finish of this beer has a subtle coconut flavor that works incredibly well with the dark fruit, and is what brings my original 4 overall rating to a 4.25.

Sweet? Oh, hell yeah. I'd really consider this a dessert beer. There are some really nice, unique flavors in this beer, but I can see why this beer has a lot of score discrepancies: it's intensely sweet, and the mouth feel is a bit lacking. I can see a time and place for this beer, and for me, that would ideally be after dinner, in front of a fireplace, during a snowstorm. Not a beer I could drink often, but this isn't a beer that's meant to be. Very nice depth of flavors that not many have experienced in a single beer, if I had to guess. One of Vivant's best, for sure, and I'm wishing I could have gotten more than two cans. This is a beer I'd definitely recommend sharing. Honestly, I think you could give four 4oz pours out and everyone would be more than happy to treat this as a "dessert wine" after dinner. For now, I'll have no problem finishing this can myself...

Salud!

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.79/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

4.2/5  rDev 0%

4.81/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big bourbon barrel notes with a smooth finish and high gravity without flaw. Definitely in my top 5 of best beers enjoyed!

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Another winner from BV! Great blend of quad flavors with just the right amount of barrel and bourbon coming in as a secondary taste. One of the better BA Quads that Ive had in a nice drinkable size (16oz).

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Draft pour to goblet. Deep translucent reddish brown with minimal head and some lacing. Wood and bourbon mix with Belgian sweet nose. Sweet, dried fruit, booze, and some barrel. Medium body and low carbonation.

3.74/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%