Ale From Beyond The Veil | Brewery Vivant

Added by joshleo on 02-09-2016

Reviews by Bung:
3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

While there are five ratings, this is the first review of this ale. Why do I have to do all the work around here ?

I bought this as part of a Brewery Vivant nine sampler pack containing two cans of four brews (that are among their best sellers) and this can of Ale From Beyond The Veil. This solo ale is advertised as a "Brewers Reserve, Limited Release."

Does it deserve that title? Probably. Usually a "reserve" is higher alcohol content, so this qualifies. "Reserve" is also usually special. Ale From Beyond The Veil is close enough to that, but needs two changes. If done correctly, this ale can go from Limited Release, to a cash cow like the other four brews.

First change: the dose of brewer's sugar is obvious even to me. Perhaps that is how they bumped the alcohol content, but let's make it a bit more subtle.

Second, the blend of malts don't keep revealing new flavors as do many BSDAs from the old country. I don't know if that is mostly a function of the yeast, but I get two or three rich fruity flavors and then no more seem to develop... although the flavors I got are all good.

I like Brewery Vivant. They are on a tour I'll be taking in a month, so I look forward to it. I want to believe their whole sustainability pitch and I'm even adjusting to cans... although I'd like to see some data on their advantages.

If you want to get introduced to an interesting brewery, get their nine pack. You may get lucky and get one Ale From Beyond The Veil.

4.1/5  rDev +2%