Triomphe Belgian IPA | Brewery Vivant

Brewery Vivant
breweryvivant.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by jale on 01-22-2011

This is my personal favorite

By far my favorite Vivant beer! It had a great hops smell and taste. It is an orange colored beer. But oh goodness it is really good! It is a little bitter but overall a great beer!

4.9/5  rDev +27.6%

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

A: Golden white with a billowy head, depending on how you pour.

S: Sweet Belgian notes along with citrusy hops.

T: This brew has a great balance between the Belgian character and the hops.

M: Good carbonation, on the thin side, but nothing offputting.

O: Great brew from Vivant. I don't know why I've always hesitated picking this up, but I am definitely going to pick it up more often.

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

At first glance this beer is a dark golden brown. It has a strong hoppy and pine-like smell that is very intriguing. The head is a few fingers. The first taste is sour and bitter, with a very strong hoppy feeling. As it goes down, you can feel a warmth in your throat. This is a really great IPA. It has the bitterness that you want with hops, but just enough to make it tasty and refreshing with a crisp palate!

4.7/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Today has become New MichiCAN Beer Sunday, thanks to GrappyPunk who supplied the beer and Malty, who started all of this weekly madness in the first place.

From the CAN: "WHY USE CANS? We set out to build a sustainable brewery and found through our research that cans are a better option than bottles. Cans are much lighter in weight, contain more recycled content, are able to be up-cycled, and use less energy to produce. The canning line also has a much smaller footprint than a bottling line."; "If this was not enough, cans provide better protection from flavor degenerating oxygen and hop flavor robbing sunlight. This is the best package we can provide to bring our beer to you, tasting the way the brewer intended it. Enjoy."; "Belgian tradition. Local mission."; "BELGIAN STYLE INDIA PALE ALE Triomphe is made with a classic Belgian style yeast strain that gives the complexity and slight sweetness you may expect from a Belgian style ale. The beer then reaches deeper providing a smack-down of American grown hops to turn the style on its head. It has a light caramel color, is strongly bitter with a fruity citrus aroma."; "COMPLIMENTARY FOODS Spicy dishes, pizza, burgers, sharp cheddar or blue cheeses. Visit our website for more."; "GLASSWARE A large tulip glass is ideal. The snifter quality helps to capture and focus the hop aromas while the contour at the top holds on to the rich head." Sounds like a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass to me.

I am in LOVE with Brewery Vivant! I have been simply blown away by their first two beers and I have only the highest of hopes for this third CANned beer.

Ah, the auditory portion of tonight's program, otherwise known as the Crack & Glug. The opening overture to any symphony that may or may not proceed, but you will never get it from a bottle. I am simply astounded by the way that each of them has produced a thick, dense layer (anywhere between a finger to two or more fingers) of head and even more so by its sustainability. "Beer Drinkers Get More Head", so reads a patch on one of my many jackets and if you are drinking a Brewery Vivant beer from a CAN, truer words were never spoken. Then the lacing ... This World, and Then, the Fireworks, or in this case, the elegant, delicate lacing that makes me want to drop to my knees and lick every succulent inch. Whoops! I have been warned against such digressions and so we return to the beer. A deep orangish-amber in color with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Is it hot in here, or is it just me? The nose was absolutely floral, like being in a hops field, but underlain by a light mustiness. This is the equivalent of one of my neo-hippie redheaded girlfriends distilled into a glass! I have known you many times, my darling, and you are always unwavering in your intensity. The mouthfeel was full and big-bodied and I could name names, but I won't. The spice of the hops intermingled well with the sweetness of the malt and suddenly I was in the back seat of an Oldsmobile the night before a deployment in 1993. I remember you well and I hope that you have the same fondness for my memory. The finish was dry, bitter and lingering, the same way that each of my redheaded relationships have ended. I need merely to lick my lips to conjure up a memory of each and every one of them, but to what avail? A slap across the face, perhaps spit upon like a llama being told what to do, or worse, a knee to the groin. C'mon, baby, I love you, but your intensity is sometimes too much even for me. As to the cooler, me and my redheads NEVER went to the beach. We were all big on movies, especially screened movies, which is one of the things I do miss about California - the ability to buy beer at the cinema or to sneak it in and not have anyone care. A movie marathon, a CAN of beer and thou, or words to that effect. Oh my.

4.66/5  rDev +21.4%

Very flavorful and easy to drink beer with out the bitter after taste.

4.58/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

When poured, this beer has a good amber color, almost dark caramel. It had a great head of bubbles that disappeared rather quickly. It has a citrus aroma, earthy and piney. This could be hops as well. It was a sweet tasting beer, I could full hops out of it but not as much as other IPAs. Overall very good. I would drink again.

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aftertaste shows a well-rounded flavour of a lot of hops, some light malt and a good deal of the belgian yeast strain. Overall, a well-balanced beer that hits the right notes,

4.53/5  rDev +18%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

$2.69 for a can. No ingredients or stats on the website. 6.5% ABV for a 16oz can. Gotta love these 16oz cans.
When poured, formed a 4 finger head. Bone white soapy head with tenacious sticky lacing and superior retention, sitting on top of a copper colored clear brew. The nose is fresh with green hops...I'm thinking Centennial, with a touch of cascade. No perceptible off aromas. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean with a medium body. The taste is quite good. A classic IPA with great hop flavor and aroma of mangos and grapefruit with just a touch of that Belgian spice and residual sweetness. Very well balanced bitterness which makes it an easy drinker. Not too bitter at all which is a common complaint in many IPAs. There is a pleasant grain husk/toast note in the middle and finishes with a cool creamy mouthfeel. No perceptible off flavors either.

This is an excellent beer and I will definitely be buying it again. This is easy to drink and I really enjoyed it. Pleasantly surprised. Do try it!

Triomphe Belgian IPA from Brewery Vivant