Farm Hand French Style Farmhouse Ale | Brewery Vivant

good
good
Read the review
Farm Hand French Style Farmhouse AleFarm Hand French Style Farmhouse Ale

Brewery Vivant
breweryvivant.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

There was a time in old world France when nearly every family farm had a brewery. A necessary part of farm life was to provide a ration of beer to laborers, as beer was safer to drink than the water of the time. (Has to do with water carrying bacteria and alcohol killing said bacteria. Yay beer!) Farm Hand is our interpretation of what these rustic beers must have been like. It is slight in body, mildly sweet, and has a slight cloudiness from the simple un-malted grains similar to the period.

Added by jale on 01-23-2011

2.66/5  rDev -26.5%

My number one problem with this brew is that it doesn't look like beer, it looks like lemonade. My number two problem is that the taste is very mild; it is not unpleasant, just not very intense. Now I had this after the Wit, which has a much stronger flavor, so I could have been influenced by that, next time I'll chug a PBR before I try this one. Of course, there may not be a next time for this brew, due to the other problems. Finally, the carbonation seems awfully harsh and industrial, not creamy at all.

2.71/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Light in color, barely any smell, and smooth and mild in taste

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%

I generally find it hard to rate local brews with low scores, but this one was not in my wheel house. I actually enjoy farmhouse style ales but this one was a bit too bitter for me. The aftertaste left way too much bitterness and lasted way too long. I had to choke down the pint as I paid for it and I wasn't going to waste it. Generally when I think of Saison or Farmhouse Ales I think of fruity or spicy beers but not this bitter. It was lackluster at best and not in the style of a good farmhouse or saison in my opinion. This was the 2nd time I tried it and there, unfortunately, won't be a third time.

2.72/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap poured into a becher glass.

A- Straw yellow with light carbonation. It started with a 1-finger, white head that left decent stick on the glass.

S- Reminded me somewhere between a decent pilsener and a euro pale. Lots of doughy, malt backbone with spicy hops and some peppery notes.

T- Much as the aroma suggests. Sweet, doughy malts combine with spicy hops and slightly peppery tones. Not very farmhousy.

M- There's a bit of a bite provided by the spicy qualities. Very dry with a clean finish.

D- It's pretty "meh." Presented as a "farmhouse ale," I'm thinking Saison or Biere de Garde. Even lighter on the spectrum, it doesn't fit these qualities. More of a Euro Pale Lager or Blonde Ale, maybe. While not a bad beer, it's very poorly categorized by the brewer or even misrepresented on the menu.

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Deep yellow, slight peppery but mostly yeasty smelling. Highly carbonated which subtracted from mouthfeel, salty and not so drinkable saison.Thanks Steven. Fairly poor saison, uninteresting. I think they got this one wrong, athough most of the elements are there.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

It's okay overall. It has a very bitter aftertaste

2.95/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Light yellow, with an average sized frothy head. Light bodied beer with a thin, lively mouthfeel.

Aroma & Taste: Citrus and "barnyard" notes to it with light malt. A sour beer with a slight sweetness to it. Light beer that would be good for a day in the sun, which is what it's styled after.

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

(Served in a globe glass)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear lemon yellow that turns just a bit hazy with the last pour. There is a frothy white foam that pops away to a thick ring of foam and some strands of slow bubbles.

S- The full aroma of bread dough yeast has some slight bright bread dough note to it in the finish.

T- The bright tartness is followed by a bread dough yeast flavor that has some bitterness and earthy hops with a citrus zest note that lingers. The bread yeast is back in the aftertaste after the dry finish.

M- The light mouthfeel has a crisp fizz and no alcohol heat.

O- I love saisons but I just can't get past the Vivant yeast. It taste to much like raw bread dough yeast and it is the dominating flavor. This one is just not for my taste.

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light color, smells a bit yeasty. Intersting taste, a little strong but overall a good beer.

Farm Hand French Style Farmhouse Ale from Brewery Vivant