Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hubris Anniversary Ale | Brewery Vivant

Added by SupaCelt on 01-29-2012

1.25/5  rDev -64%

1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

2.27/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

I've never had a quad like this....and I don't mean that as a compliment. There is Belgian yeast and malt hiding in there somewhere, but they are trampled by the sour and vinegar notes that dominate this beer. This was more like fermented fruit cocktail. I think my score would have been higher had this been labeled as a wild ale, but even as a wild, this was not a terribly tasty drink. As a quad, this was an epic miss and since everything I"ve had from BV has run to the tart, I question whether it is intentional and I don't have much plan to try anything from them in the future. Too bad, because the only thing the Michigan beer scene is missing is a first-rate Belgian-style outfit.

2.52/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I had this draft beer at my favorite bar in Michigan. This bar was promoting a Belgian style collaboration between BV and another brewery (which I will not name, because this other brewery had nothing to do with Hubris).

Appearance: Red color which is similar to a cranberry juice color, no head. The appearance is hard to judge due to the bar lighting. The snifter was also filled to the brim, which is why the head was not seen. There was some white head which appeared as I drank the beer.

Smell: Vinegar is the first thought, sour fruit is a second thought...after a second sniff, tart cherries is definitely apparent. Sour apple is apparent as well.

Taste: The taste is overwhelming. Vinegar, sour, and tart. Not very pleasant. I tried to search for other tastes but the sour bitterness was too strong. I had some friends try this beer, their face expressions clearly showed the tart/sour taste of the beer. Definitely not what I was expecting when I ordered this beer.

Overall: I have had a few (3 to be specific) Belgian quads, my favorite being La Trappe Quadrupel, which is from the Netherlands and not Belgium. This is nothing like Belgian quads I have tried. I would consider this a sour ale of some sort. Michigan has far better beers to offer and I won't be trying this again. I slightly regret writing this comment because this is their anniversary ale, but I know the Beer Advocate community will appreciate the review. If you are looking for a quad which is American made I suggest New Belgium Cascara Quad.

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.92/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2

Had on tap at Brewery Vivant. Served in a tulip.

A: Pours a clear rose red color with a thin, off-white head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thin ring with minimal lacing.

S: Tart fruit skins with some stone fruit sweetness. Mild fruity yeast with a little chalky dryness. Light pale malts.

T: Tart cherries with some light wet oak. Pale malts with a mild red apple sweetness. Alcohol is noticeable but not hot.

M: Medium bodied with a drinkable nature to it. Boozy hotness is hidden. Medium carbonation.

O: This wasn't really a quad at all. It was ok, but a far reach from a quad and it was more of a delicate sour that spent little to no time in the barrel and was barely inoculated. Not a well put together beer.

3.49/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hubris Anniversary Ale from Brewery Vivant